View Single Post
      11-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_setzer View Post
There is one near the cig lighter, but that's a pain to get to. I've used Technic's harness. This allowed me to extend the factory harness a little and splice into the Technic harness rather than cutting any factory wires.

I attached my BLT to the front R/L in the Technic Harness and also used the switched + for the remote lead. One location for all of the inputs to the amp.

One downside of doing it this way seems to be a bit of a fit issue when putting the HU back in place - it's a lot of wires to squeeze in back there suddently. The other trick (at least for my car with BMW Assist) is that I'll have to move 2 optical wires from the stock harness to the technic harness in order to make the SOS system functional again.

If anyone has advice for how to remove the optical wires from the stock harness and get them secured in Technic's harness that'd be great, not something I've done before.
The two optical cables are inserted into a plastic housing and then that housing is secured in the Quadralock slot by a tab. Pry that tab up carefully with a pick and the housing will just slide out.

Insert that housing in the same slot in the new Quadralock harness and it will lock in place with the same tab. Let me know if any issues.
Appreciate 0