09-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by awns729 View Post
I called one with good reviews and since my entire window has detached, he's only willing to replace the full top at $2100 since he's not confident a $350 reglue will hold once I try to put the top down. I think it will based on my reading here, so I'm left either finding another shop or DIY.

I believe these clamps (or similar) are the other missing piece to getting it to hold: https://www.amazon.com/Sealey-Suctio...8976968&sr=8-7

And then you complete the gluing process section by section.
The 3M adhesive is really strong stuff and seems to be holding up well enough for my liking. It's waterproof, which is the most important thing to me. Definitely not a showroom finish, but it passes the 5 foot test since the adhesive is also black like the top. I also drive with the top down around 95% of the time, and the car is garaged in the winter, so no snow testing here.

Try to get the top fabric really tight/taught with those suction clamps. I didn't detach the top like the OP, but I can see how that would make the job much easier and cleaner. I used quite a few nitrile gloves in the process. Good luck!
Appreciate 0