04-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Mods are in the eye of the beholder. You guys are too brutal with fastauto. If he doesn't like the looks (and of course handling characteristics which it seems he can make a determination soon enough), he's the owner and he can do whatever he pleases with it. By the same token, why not thrash everyone that wants a power mod on the 1 ///M, you can surely claim M GmbH 'perfected' the engine enough and optimized it for the platform. We are all car junkies here, and often what comes out of the factory, no matter how much engineering work went into devising something, is simply not enough. At the end of the day, it serves the 'masses of buyers', not each individual's taste.

Anyhow, with that said, I too think the car 'needs' spacers at a minimum. Even though the wheels are very wide (9"/10"), the body is even wider, creating a bit of a pigeon toe look. It appears from the pics, though tough to really say without trying, you may have enough clearance for a 10mm spacer on all 4 corners. But I would definitely get the longer bolts.

I too agree car sits way too high (in fact, specs show it is higher than a 135i). I will wait and see what the aftermarket community releases (Harold already said they will be releasing springs and an overall suspension package for the 1 ///M), most likely my suspension mods will be just camber plates, aftermarket springs with a modest drop (but optimized for the 1 ///M, not generic M3 ones), spacers, and prolly slapping the rear tires up front (easily done on a 9" wheel) and going with 285/30s in the back.

Let us know how you proceed and get your baby soon (and then post pics)!
thank you. people in this forum need to relax a little bit. while this car is going to be one of the greats its sill a road going car. if you guys would like to take this thing and put it in your garage and rub it down every once in a while thats up to you however i plan on using mine. if i was talking about adding neon lights and painting my roof black and bolting things on that serve no purpose then you can jump down my throat. i am talking about mods that serve a purpose. this is a twin turbo charged car. i am not talking about an turbo upgrades however if anyone does not think something like a software flash is going to transform this car then i think you have any clue what its all about. i do not race my car a quarter mile at a time nor will i ever but i do love the potential this car has to be an all around champ.
Appreciate 0