05-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #14
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
Pad shims will make pad fade worse by not allowing the heat to escape through the caliper and brake fluid.
Good to know, another mod to skip I can rebuild the calipers a couple times a year if need be, that's weekend work. I just want to skip the 45 min x2 + tools required for a pad swap for an afternoon track day.

Quote:
FWIW I ran 2x 20mins sessions on track with the 2500s before boiling fluid (no pad fade that i could tell). First track day for me essentially so wasn't pushing too hard. Since upgraded to motul RBF.
I'm told I brake hard and late Per your earlier reply, I'm probably asking for too much, to use the car that hard and still be able to street it (no matter how uncomfortably). Tires are going to be Direzza II SS, so sub-R but grippy. Sourcing those has also been hard so PSS are the fallbacks; predictable but less grippy obviously.

Looking for an upgrade from the scary HP Plus pads. Having some predictability in fade is probably more important to me than running a full run group without cool-downs. Going from full brake torque to basically pedal to the floor between a single set of heavy braking corners is seriously scary on the short tracks I run with VMax of 120mph. Upgrading to tracks with VMax of 145+ is not currently an option for me on the HP Plus.

Having no brakes is kind of scary at track pace...
Appreciate 0