View Single Post
      10-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

For me, that is why the 740 number is such a stretch for the OP's purpose of getting a sequence number sticker. You might just as well get a sticker that says xxx/347 cars in VO, or xxx/148 cars with manual seats. Cars sold to customers is a somewhat arbitrary criteria, especially since it can be definitively proven that a press demo car was later re-sold. What should we tell the person who owns an original press car and wants a sticker if that car isn't included in the total?

I think it should be one of these:

xxx/750 (production run US 1Ms)
xxx/761 (all US 1Ms including pre-production)
xxx/983 (all UR93 1Ms - since the US and Canada VINs are intermingled)

I tend to prefer xxx/750 because none of the pre-production cars were sold. I realize there are multiple examples of pre-production BMWs ending up owned by individuals, but that has not happened with US 1Ms. You can run a VIN report like carfax on those 11 VINs and the reports will come up empty. If someone can prove that any of the pre-production cars were not destroyed (perhaps the one that was used as the pace car for the Rolex24) and there is even a chance you could buy one in the future, then I'd change my opinion to xxx/761.

Otherwise the sticker should say "One of 740 cars reportedly sold to customers in the US".
Appreciate 0