View Single Post
      07-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Driver Footwell Right-hand-side heat

I have made a posting about this item before, however the problem has evolved a little bit.

The Situation

While driving any extended period of time there is a great amount of heat generated in the driver's foot well on the right hand side plastic and carpeting. This condition happens under normal driving conditions.

When driven with great enthusiasm... the carpeting and the plastic become HOT to the touch and will come to the point that it will almost start burning my leg if I am wearing shorts.

My SA and Dealer have been made aware of the problem and they have involved a regional service advisor to take a look at this issue. Further, they have involved BMW Ag in the issues as well. The dealer suspects that the mid-pipe is in too close proximity to the body and is transferring the heat to the cabin.

The question to all of you... are there any other 1m vehicles experiencing any sort of heat transmission from the underbody of the vehicle to the inside cabin? If so your input would be appreciated in helping solve this issue.

Please advise...

Update July 5 2011 at 10:00pm

While driving this evening with the ac on and off I noticed that the same area sweltering in heat now started to condensate due to the mixing of hot surface and cool air... How nice

Update July 7th 2011

Met with BMW regional engineer at dealer to discuss both heat concern in foot well and exhaust drone.

Heat issue: very well document of temperatures and causes of issue; exhaust heat. Visual inspection under vehicle shows that there is no reflective heat shield on driver side of transmission housing. By design is this a mistake?? The question has been sent to Germany. Engineer has told me that issue is top priority and answers will be forthcoming.

Exhaust drone: documented at various speeds and the question has been raised to Germany if a butterfly valve will be fitted to system in future. Status pending but not as high priority as heat issue.

Last edited by rapter; 07-07-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0