View Single Post
      02-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
So, it turns out the backing plates are aluminum. Nobody makes bolt on backing plates with ducting, but I found a thread that suggested using aircraft duct ports for the flange on the backing plate. Here is what I ended up with.

Over all, pretty happy. I have a couple of things to clean up, burrs and whatnot, put some paint on there maybe. If any of you have seen the thread I am talking about (guy used naca ducts on the belly pan for inlets) I did do a couple of different things on the flanges. It involved a hammer, so it honestly isn't pretty, but I think it will be more functional. Instead of just cutting off the flange on the tops and bottom, I cut out some sections, so that I could fold the top over the backing plate and use that for another rivet, and on the bottom, I rolled the flange over to minimize the space between the flange and the back of the disk. Hopefully, it will allow more air to be channeled to the disc, and less of it to escape. The gap is still considerable though.

Also go the new headlights in, fender liners, etc. I still have to put the front bumper cover back on to see what I am going to do for the ducting inlets.

also, LSD is on the way. I got the Mfactory torsen unit from synchro tech (they are having 10% off) so as soon as I get the front end buttoned up, it is on to the back.
Looks great, I had a set built but then went BBK to alleviate all heat concerns. Love me some DIY garage fab work!