Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Ah, okay.

Well, the 3-Series is BMW's bread and butter, it's the sport sedan that everyone goes to and gets hooked on, and the one that gets huge support because of it. That said, I'm surprised they don't know/realize that everything in the 1-Series is the same as the E9x.
They go RCN racing with them, and they replace pretty much all the bushings to poly or solids since "race car". Engines are not allowed to be tuned or tinkered with, not even adding oil coolers or such, that would bring the car up to unlimited class in RCN, which means you will be competing with much more powerful and lighter cars.

Engine tuning locally is...hard to come by. Except the M models, since there was a CSL version of the E46 for example, it is legal to install cams, headers, software etc from the CSL on a non CSL model, since it came from the factory on a production car (not a M performance upgrade for example).

So if you think about it, you are comparing a 218hp detuned N52B30 engine with a factory tuned 272hp N52B30 engine, hence why the E90 330i is favoured and more popular. There was a team racing the E87 120d in the VLN 24 hour race back in 2014 or so, they ended 7th place overall. But that is the only E8x 1 series i know that entered racing, hence why bmw started the M235i series, there was a demand for it and since the 2 series was already in production to replace the E82, they went down that route.

Even the wheels on the E82 locally, everyone is running 18x8 ET 40s with cup 2s, no one runs 17x8 or even 17x8.5s and run wider than 235/40s. You can even youtube this, and see how many E82/E87s 130 and 135s run the same setups, KW CS suspension and 18x8s 235s. It is sad, i hate changing cars and i really like the E82, but due to local support, i need to get my sources from the internet, parts sometimes from overseas (like wheels) and what not, it makes me wonder if i should continue or not honestly.
Appreciate 0