vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
This.

I made the mistake of taking it to a shop who told me they did not change the seal (even when I specifically told them to) because it "looked good and was not leaking". Over the next couple of weeks a leak developed. Took it back, they told me it was the oil pan leaking. $1000 later, they changed the oil pan seal and the leak was still there. They eventually changed the seal at the clutch which they should have done in the first place when I told them and leak is gone. They said my oil pan was leaking as well that's why they changed it. Was it really though? I don't think so. Expensive lesson. Sorry vtl - not thread jacking - just want people to know the importance of having this seal changed even if things "look ok".
Yeah I actually didn't change the rear main seal when I did my clutch. Thinking I probably should have. I avoided it because the plate cover on the rear main seal seals against the oil pan. To do the job properly you'd have to do the oil pan and rear main seal at the same time.

But actually it is possible to remove the rear main seal by screwing in some self tapping screws into the seal and pulling it out instead of removing the cover.