Thread: M3 LSD in 135i
View Single Post
      02-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #40
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Lost motivation to drive the project in 2016, but have recently got off my ass to get everything back on track for the swap.

Finally got around to test fitting it with the help of Socket . This involved dropping the exhaust, diff, undertrays and heatshields, transmission cross member and propshaft. Fitted up the M3 LSD and its a perfect fit, measured up the lengths and reassembled the car back to stock. The M3 LSD requires a custom propshaft and the M3 drive axles, so its quite a big job swapping it over.

Its a great sight seeing that big heatsink, can't wait to get it all installed for real. Have just dropped off the proshaft off today to the driveshaft builder and that should be the final piece of the puzzle to get the new diff in. I have bought a spare 330d proshaft which is the same design as my stock propshaft, albeit a different (longer)length. Automatic transmission propshafts are smaller and weaker, and I did not want to downgrade. I got the spare to prevent any downtime with the car, and enable me to revert back to stock if required.

Bascially, the rear M3 section will need to be put in place of the rear section of the 330d propshaft. Also the front section of the 330d shaft is longer so that will need to be shortened as well. Attached is the dimensions of my custom propshaft, this will only be valid for a N54 135i with manual transmission.

Drawing for custom prop attached:

While the propshaft is being built, I will take off the diff cover, shot blast the heatsink to make it look pretty and refill with new Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 oil.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 135i M3 prop.pdf (12.4 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by vtl; 03-05-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0