BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2024, 05:20 PM   #1
WillyK
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i,E36 M3, E34 M5

Brake fluid light...is it low or time for maintenance?

I have intermittently been seeing the yellow "Brake" light along with the "circle with pads" symbol, and sometimes with the "car on a lift" symbol.
I interpret these to mean my fluid is low, but will those lights come on when the scheduled maintenance time is up?

I looked in the reservoir and the stick showed halfway between max and min. I filled to max and the light hasn't reappeared yet after about 50 miles. Is it possible the fluid level changes enough when I go downhill or something?

I've had this car (2009) for a year now and I find these warning lights in general a bit frustrating to figure out.

Also, It seems like BMW omits important information (like where to find the reservoir) because they want you to run to the dealer for simple stuff that we used to fix ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 03:04 AM   #2
e4603
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

From the US 2013 Owner’s Manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-27-2024, 03:24 AM   #3
e4603
Private
Rep

All the indicators and warning lamps are listed near the end of the owner’s manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 03:45 AM   #4
e4603
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyK View Post
I looked in the reservoir and the stick showed halfway between max and min. I filled to max and the light hasn't reappeared yet after about 50 miles. Is it possible the fluid level changes enough when I go downhill or something?
Large black reservoir with stick is for coolant. Coolant color is blue/green. Level halfway between min and max is adequate.
Brake reservoir is white/translucent, under a black panel by the windshield on my 128i. Brake fluid is light yellow; dark yellow is not good. Should be changed every 2 years. Reservoir level goes down as the brake pads wear.
Going uphill/downhill (eg in San Francisco) should not trigger any warning lights.
Appreciate 0