BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Unhappy Possible Alarm System Improvement?

I was wondering, is their a way BMW could improve the current alarm system in regards to the "clown nose" red bulb that lets you and possibly others know that the alarm is activated? I am just perplexed that BMW chose such an ugly indicator and overly simple solution in a car that is so beautiful. Surely this could be something BMW could change with making a much more discreet LED bulb or even possibly integrate it into the rear view mirror. Just a suggestion. BMW NA it would be so cool if this horrible indicator be remedied by something that was given more thought and consideration. The stock bulb just seems so careless on BMW's part. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
pheller
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I think they were going for an unmistakable in-your-face notification that there is an active alarm on board.

Honestly, I have a bit of an OCD regarding whether the car is locked. Sometimes I will walk back and check the car.... more than once. The clown nose has all but eliminated that.

So while I thought it was pretty stupid looking at first, I've grown to find it reasonable for it's function.
      11-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
NGMorales
Rep
Drives:

my mothers car (1998 BME 328i), had a small red LED on the dash near the gear leaver. nowadays everything has to be armed.
i wish that they would move it too. it looks funny just sitting there in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I actually like it also. There is no mistaking that you have an alarm. It might just encourage the crack heads to move along to the next car. Bottom line, it's built for function so that's fine with me.