BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2024, 07:49 PM   #1
Broken
Registered
Rep
Drives: LMB 2012 135i DCT

Mechanic in the lower NY/CT area

I never got rid of my problem child 135i. Between a bit of wrenching on my own and a trusted shop I'd use when visiting friends upstate (Little Speed Shop in Rochester <3), I've limped this thing along for quite a while.

Circumstances have changed though: I don't have the time or space to wrench anymore, and my friends in Rochester have moved so it's gone from silly to wholly impractical to have the car serviced there now.

My wee girl's long in the tooth and needs a decent amount of work (struts all around, thrust bearings, oil line for the turbo, and the usual misc. leaks).

I've always found BMW Ridgefield to be solid, but dealers rates are dealer rates; they're quoting me around $8k for the work.

I'm honestly not averse to spending the money. There isn't much short of 991.2 or 992 that interests me. While everything is enormously more capable, they feel is either too muted (G-series cars) or there's no practical way to have it as my daily with a 10 month old kid and wife (Miata, BRZ). And $120k+ on a car isn't a financial argument I'm winning with my wife right now.

I may yet just break down and use BMW Ridgefield, but I'd like try to find a decent indy shop. I'm in Westchester, and I'm willing to go reasonably far afield: from New Haven, down into the city or Nassau County, and just about anywhere in the Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam, Duchess, etc.) in New York or Fairfield/Litchfield Counties in CT.

I did see ICS in Stamford recommended as the the "install" thread pinned here. I used them once to swap some tires; I did not have a good experience with them. Impact guns and stripped lugs. :|
Appreciate 0