E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Parrot Asteroid Smart installed, coding successes, window switch failure (fixed)

05-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Parrot Asteroid Smart installed, coding successes, window switch failure (fixed)

Just finished the install of my brand new Parrot Asteroid Smart, and I am really digging it!

It is working great, works with bluetooth, plays pandora, ipod hookup, google maps in the dash.

So... then I go to close up the car, and... the drivers side windows won't work.
Greeeeaat. I love how everything in this car is controlled by computers. But I also hate how everything in this car is controlled by computers.

The windows all go up and down with the key in the drivers door, the rest of the window controls work fine.

Is there a fuse just for that switch module that I may have bumped?

I added +TELD to the VO and recoded the CAS, NFRM, KOMBI and ABG following this post:
bmw coding . com/showthread.php?2816
Maybe coding the NFRM caused it to stop listening to the window down commands?

Right now I'm trying the "disconnect negative battery and wait a while" trick mentioned in a few other posts... Any ideas would be great in case that doesn't work, otherwise I'll go talk to the dealer and fork over a big pile of cash...

Last edited by vilord; 05-19-2013 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Hate to hijack but can you post a pic of it installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
That's half the thread! Not hijacking

I'll grab a photo when I try the next trick, whatever it might be. The car definitely is complaining about having lost battery, but the whole driver window control module is non-functional still . I guess I'll try re-running the coding operation... i wish i'd checked if the windows were working before i started that so I'd know if it was the coding or the wiring that caused it...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Fixed!

The 7.5A fuse (the first fuse listed for power windows, 21 on my diagram) was not blown, but it would appear that it was somehow loose. i guess that's what i get for using those f'ing fuse taps. lesson: don't use the fuse taps that add more metal to where the fuse plugs in (auto parts stores have some that fully "plug in" and have two fuses hanging off the side, one for the original function, one for the new function)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Rather than starting a new thread or posting on top of someone else's this seems a fine spot...

- added VO +TELD (telephone delete?) to disable the SOS error related to ripping out the factory radio
- switched to angel eyes for the DRL
- turned on automatic folding of the mirrors when lock is held (either on fob or CA)
- windows and sunroof close from fob and ca
- added instant digital mpg display
- added real digital vehicle speed display
- removed the auto-up/down nanny from windows when door is open
- added ability to change auto headlight sensitivity
- allow fog lights to stay on with highbeam flash

i was pondering the auto-close sunroof option... it would be useful if the car was off and sunroof open, but if it starts raining while i'm driving i can close it myself... and needing to reset the sunroof after enabling, and needing to turn off the car and wait a few minutes to be able to re-open the roof seems a bit irritating
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
That's half the thread! Not hijacking

I'll grab a photo when I try the next trick, whatever it might be. The car definitely is complaining about having lost battery, but the whole driver window control module is non-functional still . I guess I'll try re-running the coding operation... i wish i'd checked if the windows were working before i started that so I'd know if it was the coding or the wiring that caused it...
Thanks! Did you get steering wheel control to work?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Here's what it looks like installed. Cell phone camera with a cracked lens, but you *should* get the idea at least. I can take more pictures of whatever, could even pull out the good camera if you like, just let me know.

Overall I think the metra installation kit is a piece of crap, but it doesn't look terrible installed. Would be nice if the aircon controls were flush instead of set back. I'm willing to bet the connects2 kit is better.

The constant 12v circuit works just fine, but there is no switched circuit in the fuse box (ask me how i know...) that will turn on in the "accessory" position, i.e. sticking the key in the hole. i tried having it switched when the car turns on/off, but found that i frequently want to sit and listen to the radio while waiting to pick someone up, and i don't want the engine running or to be in key on/engine off (drains the batteries too much).

So right now switched 12v is attached to something that goes away after 10-15 minutes, so i just turn off the radio manually.

I don't have steering wheel controls working yet. I didn't buy the UNIKA that parrot sells because their website says our cars aren't supported, and the metra ASWC-1 I'd bought also doesn't support the parrot.

Connects2 makes a harness that fixes the 12v switched problem, gets parking assist working again, and supports the steering wheel controls with parrot. New price is about 100 pounds shipped from the UK, or... $160? not cheap but worth it IMO, a parking assist module by itself is $50-$70.
Here's a link to what I'm hoping to get:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826661

And I ordered one of these to get a physical volume knob:
http://amzn.com/B00ANRRZCG
Attached Images

Appreciate 0