BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

My 1M hit whilst on holiday

What's wrong with this country (UK). I come home from holiday, lift cover up over car and find someone has hit the front. Argh. No note. No apology. And it was parked in my own driveway.

This is something I normally do myself with a new car but for 3 weeks I have been accident free and it happens whilst I'm away by someone else.

Granted, the damage isn't as bad as some here but I am gutted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 1M

Mate, that's gutting

Hopefully it's just superficial damage that can be 'smart repaired'.
      07-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

HIT IN YOUR OWN DRIVEWAY!??! That's not right. Thats horrible. Great car btw
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post

Granted, the damage isn't as bad as some here but I am gutted.
that's not the point mate, its the asses who think nothing of it damaging peoples property and not taking responsibility

the UK is one of the worse I have seen for it so far

I have witnessed a few people now do such an act and go to drive off, I have confronted a few and others I have taken the number plates and written down informing the owner of a hit and run to report as it pisses me off having had it happen to myself in the past ..........
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpowell View Post
Mate, that's gutting

Hopefully it's just superficial damage that can be 'smart repaired'.
Maybe. Can you recommend anywhere?

I was going to get it detailed in a couple of weeks, would they be able to take care of it?

Just got my cheque for £600 back for the service inclusive difference when I paid £1k originally. I guess that's now spoken for.

Cheers,

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Can you recommend anywhere?
The bugger with smart repairs is they are only as good as the person doing them. For example I had heard brilliant things about chips-away, but when I had something done on my old Mini it was shocking!

Best advice would be to find your local smart repair places then google some reviews. Results normally crop up on forums etc. Failing that BMW dealer now do smart repairs, but I doubt they are cheap.
      07-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

sorry to hear that. as much as we try and look after our cars its other users that we cant rely upon.

I once bought a new Clio Sport 172 a few years ago and someone dented the rear quarter panel in the first week.

just a thought but depending on how much of an eye sore it is for you I would hold off any smart repairs. I think the front bumper design of the 1M will lead to a lot of stone chips over time because of its large surface area and low stance that you may want to wait a while and have the bumper professionall resprayed at a later date.

this has cost me no more £300 in past (bumper off job) with a 3 year warranty which is the same as a handful of smart repairs from past experience!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Sorry to hear, Mark.
And offcourse nobody in the neighborhood has seen something
I wonder who's has to be on someone else's driveway, go figure
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Gutted for you Mark. Same thing happened to me last year while i was parked outside the dentist and it cost me £1200 for a zenon for the Z4. I know take 2 parking spaces too protect the car no matter where i park and have even had people argue about me doing that

Again mate sorry for your pain
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Gutted for you Mark. Same thing happened to me last year while i was parked outside the dentist and it cost me £1200 for a zenon for the Z4. I know take 2 parking spaces too protect the car no matter where i park and have even had people argue about me doing that

sorry to hear about it - i hate these people

ever since i had 3 dented doors within two months while parking i always take 2 spaces and when someone tries to argue i tell them: it is to prevent stupid-xxxxxs like you from ruining my car

i even thought about planting those small motion detector cameras especially in case of vandalism they are wide angle but have yet to figure out a practical way to use them

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

It's impossible to keep a car perfectly new unless we park them in a vacuum. Sorry about your luck but remember, it's a machine and can be fixed.
That being said, I raise a pint to you! Cheers mate.
      07-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post

There is always a risk of people deliberately damaging your car if you take 2 spots.

For me, once I got over the first ding, it gets a bit easier for subsequent ones.

Back to the OP, minor hit and runs happens all the time. In Chicago where there are a lot of street parking, it is actually difficult to find a bumper without scratches and dings in it. I think people use their bumper as a parking aid. Once you hit the other car, that is when you shift gears!

Of course, being hit in your own driveway is worse than elsewhere since you naturally feel more secured in your own home.

I feel your pain though.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mark, that's terrible and I'm really sorry for you. The attitude of some people is shocking! With regards to having it repaired I can strongly recommend chipsaway as I had them repair a car of mine that was hit.

Failing that I do have a very good detailing chap who would either be able sort it for you or know someone else that can.

Let us know how you get on!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Man that is terrible, I am sorry for you. I don't know if you have a covered garage, but next time I would suggest you park inside if you are going somewhere for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Hate to see that, and you have my condolences.

Parked my 1M for the first time in the underground lot at my office this morning. Now I'm feeling anxious.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
SIM1er
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not a smart repairer but these guys at West End Surrey did a great job when a kid scratched our SLK with his bike, maybe get them to take a look and see what they recommend.

http://www.accidentrepairswoking.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Not nice

How on earth did they manage to hit the front and the side as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
not sure if it has been said b4 , did you check all your neighbors cars for damage front and back?
      07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback1 View Post
not sure if it has been said b4 , did you check all your neighbors cars for damage front and back?
Yes it's possible it was someone you know who knew you were on holiday. They may have used your drive for extra space. IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully you can get it fixed up so it looks like new.

I'm already stressing about how and where I'm going to park mine and I don't even have the car yet.

My dad used to say that the first ding/scratch was almost a rite of passage because he could finally stop stressing out so much about babying the car. Of course it helped that he has 2 sons who were always up to helping him out there!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone.

Have looked at it in more detail this evening and it looks like an insurance job.

The bumper is no longer flush against one of the headlights and has popped out so there could be some underlying damage. Will get it checked out.

Whoever has done it knew they had hit the car because the car cover was lifted up at one corner, they had obviously had a look to check the damage and ran off realising what they had done.

Interesting that there is no sign of damage to the car cover itself, not even any friction markings or transference?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

bumpers just clip in these days mate, get it checked out first before even going near insurance as the excess could outweight the actual cost of just having it repaired .......
Appreciate 0