BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2024, 01:05 PM   #1
duperdog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F25 xDrive28i

Power Loss on Track

Did my first HPDE event yesterday at PittRace. Car performed pretty well (driver mods needed mostly) with the exception of a few occasions where there was some power loss. Without oil or water temp gauges I'm not sure if there were cooling issues (it was >90F ambient), but there were 2 specific spots on track where I had power loss. It would only last for a few seconds and would be fine most of the lap. They are 2 very different sections. One was a steep uphill right hander that was 2nd -> 3rd gear and would crap out before the top of 2nd gear (6000 rpm) and right after shift to 3rd would not accelerate immediately, but after a pause would accelerate normally at the crest of the hill (turn 6 if you know PittRace). I tried staying in 3rd gear through the turn and up the hill and had a similar power cut going up the hill. The other place was on the pit straight coming into turn 1. It's a flat section that is all out in 4th gear for me, but power would cut about 2/3 down the straight just before the braking zone. Once I got to turn 1 and went down to 3rd, all was fine.

There were no messages in iDrive so I am not sure if it was some kind of limp home mode or what. I have ProTool but did not have it running to watch temps.

I have another HPDE in Aug at Watkins Glen and will make sure to get some logging and see if there are any cooling issues, but if anyone has any ideas before I take it on track again, would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:46 PM   #2
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
There are several limp modes that it could be, brake overheat and oil temp overheat are probably the most common.

Have you changed any of the coding using protool?

If not, I'd start there and at least turn off the basic brake related parameters.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 01:54 PM   #3
duperdog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F25 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
There are several limp modes that it could be, brake overheat and oil temp overheat are probably the most common.

Have you changed any of the coding using protool?

If not, I'd start there and at least turn off the basic brake related parameters.
I have not coded off the brake related nannies yet, I'll do that before next event. Do you typically turn them off before going on track and then re-enable or just once and done?
Appreciate 0