BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stability Control Lights up on new winter tires

So I bought some 225/40/18 studded Nokian H4's yesterday and had them installed (I'm in Alaska so the snow is approaching). They feel good and sturdy when I'm going along, even at highway speeds of 70.

However, when I take a corner at a good pace (not excessive) the traction/stability control lights up and takes over momentarily. This happened on both a right and left turn when I was moving along. I double checked the rotation direction of the tires and they are all installed correctly.

I'm driving on dry roads still, so I don't know why this is happening. Definately not ice or slippage.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

As they're studded, they may in fact be slipping a bit. You just might not be noticing it because it's relatively minor. Still, the system may detect it and step in.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksundog View Post
However, when I take a corner at a good pace (not excessive) the traction/stability control lights up and takes over momentarily.

Any ideas?
your loosing traction. My 540's traction control goes of sometime from going over a speed bump as I blip the throttle a small amount, or a rough bump on the freeway that gets the rear end up.

Your cars doing what it should be doing
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
your loosing traction. My 540's traction control goes of sometime from going over a speed bump as I blip the throttle a small amount, or a rough bump on the freeway that gets the rear end up.

Your cars doing what it should be doing
QFT

My car will blink the traction control light when I go over speedbumps or potholes regardless of speed or throttle position.
Which it's supposed to do because you are technically losing traction, as paintpro said, if even for only a fraction of a second.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

^smae. There is a stoplight near my house and right before it the two sections of concrete and the second one has sunk about 2 inches. If I take the drop at speed my traction control goes off, if im braking for the light my ABS goes off.

Just feel safe that in the snow you wont see that light often so long as your easy on the throttle. I know fron experience.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

It very well could be you losing traction by a small amount and the car is picking it up before you can even tell.

However, you said you bought 225 tires...did you put these on all 4 corners? No problem if you did, just not normal to see 225's all around on a 1er. If you put different tires front and rear that could be your problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank@WSTO View Post
It very well could be you losing traction by a small amount and the car is picking it up before you can even tell.

However, you said you bought 225 tires...did you put these on all 4 corners? No problem if you did, just not normal to see 225's all around on a 1er. If you put different tires front and rear that could be your problem.
225 all around is actually a very common winter setup.

I went with a staggard 225 255 setup on my winters last year and got yelled at by these guys on 1Addicts. Said 225s all around was a better idea.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
So I bought some 225/40/18 studded Nokian H4's yesterday and had them installed (I'm in Alaska so the snow is approaching). They feel good and sturdy when I'm going along, even at highway speeds of 70.

However, when I take a corner at a good pace (not excessive) the traction/stability control lights up and takes over momentarily. This happened on both a right and left turn when I was moving along. I double checked the rotation direction of the tires and they are all installed correctly.

I'm driving on dry roads still, so I don't know why this is happening. Definately not ice or slippage.

Any ideas?
Any studded winter tyre has quite poor traction on dry or wet roads compared with a summer tyre, they really only performs well on ice and snow, so it sounds like what is happening is normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank@WSTO View Post

Yeah I put 225's all around. I actually did this on a recommendation from Gill@tirerack... and because that's all that was available up here for purchase.

Now that I've had a few days on the tires, they seem to slip less on the dry road. I don't know if new studded Nokian tires need a few days to 'break in' but they seem a bit less fussy now.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Quote:
Yeah I put 225's all around. I actually did this on a recommendation from Gill@tirerack... and because that's all that was available up here for purchase.

Now that I've had a few days on the tires, they seem to slip less on the dry road. I don't know if new studded Nokian tires need a few days to 'break in' but they seem a bit less fussy now.
Yea I actually would recommend a 225 as well, I suppose I'm more use to the M3 guys (sold a couple winter setups lately) and they all want like staggered setups at least 245