BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Anyone experienced negative reactions of other road users ?

So far it seems that the 1M is appreciated by many other road users (compliments, thumbs up, smiles, pictures, etc.).

Just wondering whether anyone experienced negative reactions or nuisance because of the 1M itself (i.e. hypothesis of non-disturbing road behavior by the 1M driver - reckless driving is a universal turn off) ? I read at another forum that some cars tend to getting uncomfortably close (glueing) to the 1M's rear end, apparently out of curiosity to have a closer look at 1M, a species rarely seen in the wild...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
So far it seems that the 1M is appreciated by many other road users (compliments, thumbs up, smiles, pictures, etc.).

Just wondering whether anyone experienced negative reactions or nuisance because of the 1M itself (i.e. hypothesis of non-disturbing road behavior by the 1M driver - reckless driving is a universal turn off) ? I read at another forum that some cars tend to getting uncomfortably close (glueing) to the 1M's rear end, apparently out of curiosity to have a closer look at 1M, a species rarely seen in the wild...
Just thumbs up so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

I was driving around a few days ago at night and a Subaru STI was standing next to me at a red light and I think he wanted to have a go at my 1M. Since I am still during the break-in period I constrained myself from flooring it and kicking his ass but it was funny to see this guy think for a while he could outrun me.
Besides that I've only seen people turn around and look at the car all day long....and my friends can't stop talking about it....they all love it....but I love it more!!!

09-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

Hehe...nice thread.

Yesterday a guy was behind me and drove up very close...i thought, is he crazy? then he pulled up next to me with thumps up and asked me, if thos is the new 1series ;-)

A couple more guys also congratulated me for the nice car.

So far i only received positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

I was sitting at a stop light today and a guy in a red 325 turned his head to look and thumbs up. Only problem....he rear-ended the car in front of him. I felt bad for him. Otherwise, lots of stares and thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwildone View Post
I was sitting at a stop light today and a guy in a red 325 turned his head to look and thumbs up. Only problem....he rear-ended the car in front of him. I felt bad for him. Otherwise, lots of stares and thumbs up.
LOL, shit! Was he at Cars & Coffee with us?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Oh no another way to raise our insurance rate and blame it on the M
lol:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
Quote:
Oh no another way to raise our insurance rate and blame it on the M
lol:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
sean67
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

At a red light a beautiful Blue Porsche Turbo Carrera turned left in front of the group of cars I was in and was several blocks ahead by the time it went green. About 3-4 lights he got caught at a light and I eased up to the left on his door. He noticed the car and did a double take and then put his car in reverse and backed his car up at the light and was checking the 1M back and forth looked up at me and we exchanged thumbs up (I was admiring his car as much as he was mine). I was just back from picking my car up from the 1,200 mile service so I was ready to see what it would do but not like this especially against that. I don't street race and he would have smoked me but it was cool to have the car make him back up to check it out.

Other than that a lot of thumbs up from bikers, and people in all kinds of cars. Nothing bad and luckily no racers with fart pipes wanting to race.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Same-same. Lots of compliments. Lil' bit of envy from the lowered Honda crowd. Tons of restraint since I'm only at 700 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
I was driving around a few days ago at night and a Subaru STI was standing next to me at a red light and I think he wanted to have a go at my 1M. Since I am still during the break-in period I constrained myself from flooring it and kicking his ass but it was funny to see this guy think for a while he could outrun me.
Besides that I've only seen people turn around and look at the car all day long....and my friends can't stop talking about it....they all love it....but I love it more!!!

You wouldn't really be "kicking the STi's ass". The STi is still a rather fast car, and it had a lot of bang for the buck. Besides, street racing is just flat out retarded.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Funny that u post this, I'm just coming home from downtown Orlando, my wife couldn't believe it how many thumbs up I was getting.
      09-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Quote:
LOL, shit! Was he at Cars
No, it was later in the day. I took a long drive down south of 44 and then back up Hwy 94. It was in the Chesterfield Valley near Boone's Crossing.

Last edited by dwildone; 09-18-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed Quotes
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Same here, lots of compliments and a few thumbs up on the road...

Also had a valet (no he did not get to drive it) ask if it was the new "M1"; explained it was a 1M and watched him drool over the car...

The funniest one so far, was a state trooper that pulled up right next to me and snapped a picture with his cellphone and then gave me the thumbs up...

I have to admit that even though I am not one for street racing, I was forced to teach a quick lesson to a kid in a modded Mustang that kept revving up next to me and finally swerved into my lane to get me to race... I shouldn't have, but since my break in is already done and the oil was warm I switched into MDM, pushed the M button, downshifted and floored it leaving the poor guy in the rear-view mirror. Luckily the trooper that snapped the pic a few days prior was not around. I guess you could call this whole ordeal a negative reaction...
Appreciate 0