BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

AC not working and extreme heat in center console?

So I got in my car this morning and everything is operating normally except that my ac control panel had no power at all, not lighting up and no ability to control the ac.

I power cycled the car a few times and no change. More alarming though is that there was a significantly high amount of heat resonating from the center console on the drivers side just below my knees. It did not carry through to the shifter area and was not on the passenger side? Any ideas?
      07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Did you check the fuse for the AC control???
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula
Did you check the fuse for the AC control???
I have not yet, do you know of a fuse diagram? The most alarming is the heat, I am concerned I will have an electrical fire driving home. Are their fuses on the drivers side or just behind the glove box?
      07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
You have to disengage the small hydraulic arm and drop the glovebox. It is right behind it, diagram is on piece of paper folded into a slot right on the fuse panel.

Heat is probably the outside air being picked up by the blower. If you had an electrical fire you should be able to smell smoke/burning.

If the fuse is not blown I might call the dealer and ask before driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Prepare to cut your hands around the fuse box and don't accidentally bump the valet button in the glove box. Yes, I learned the hard way.
      07-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
andrés
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

I had an issue with heat coming from the steering column and the center console just down the cd player, my a/c worked good except no air was going down my feet. So i took the car to the dealer to get this checked out and it worked perfectly. since that i had no problems
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, I'll check it out and thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
So I got in my car this morning and everything is operating normally except that my ac control panel had no power at all, not lighting up and no ability to control the ac.

I power cycled the car a few times and no change. More alarming though is that there was a significantly high amount of heat resonating from the center console on the drivers side just below my knees. It did not carry through to the shifter area and was not on the passenger side? Any ideas?
No comment on the AC not working, take that to the dealer and have them look at it.

As for the excessive heat at your knees on the transmission tunnel... BMW will have to apply some thermal peal-and-stick to the inside of that panel to reflect the heat back into the console area. This is a "design feature" for the hot air to be given to the driver in the winter; however for the hotter months of the year it is not working so well for the engineers and the heat is cooking the drivers.

This "heat to the driver in the winter" was a long episode with my car, let the dealer know that this is how they fixed it. Should they need more information have them call my Dealership in Toronto Ontario Canada (Parkview BMW). Really nice people will get your dealership up to speed.

Send me a PM if you need more information.
Appreciate 0