BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

A/C sealant

So for the last few years I've taken my car to the dealer every summer because the A/C stopped blowing cold. The first two times it was under warranty and they said it was a bad seal and they replaced it and recharged. Last summer, about 2 months after my warranty expired, they suddenly found a leak in the evaporator and wanted $1500 to replace it. I was pissed, went back and forth with BMW, but the best they would offer is $400 off the cost of the repair. Since it only costs $100 to have it recharged at the dealer, and leaks slow enough to only need recharging once a year, I figured I would just deal with it. However I was talking to my Dad about it and he said I should try some sealant stuff. Apparently you pump it into the system and it stops the leaks. Has anyone here ever tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it safe? The leak is obviously small since it takes a year to stop working, so it seems like something that might be able to fill the hole. But I don't want to have it clog up the whole system. If that's a possibility I'd rather just pay the $100/year to have it recharged.

Anyway if anyone has any experience with this stuff I'd love to hear about it.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

We use Wurth sealer/dye here at work when looking for leaks. The sealer will quite often seal small leaks that they never come back.

Used it on my own car (2006 smart) which is notorious for leaking A/C due to some badly designed lines. Used to need a recharge every year, after putting the dye in, has not leaked in three years.

FYI, it is illegal to refill a system that is known to be leaking. Here in Ontario, Canada we can only fill a known leaking system for leak detection purposes only, all other provinces in Canada, it is even illegal to do that. And the fines for getting caught are HUGE. Not sure about what individual states laws are.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 05-23-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0