BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Changing fluids after break in period

What are your thoughts on getting the fluids changed in my 135i? I'm approaching the end of the break in mileage called out in the manual. I called a local dealer who quoted me prices on doing the fluid change for engine oil and differential. But he advised me it's not needed until I come up on the normal service interval. What do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
What are your thoughts on getting the fluids changed in my 135i? I'm approaching the end of the break in mileage called out in the manual. I called a local dealer who quoted me prices on doing the fluid change for engine oil and differential. But he advised me it's not needed until I come up on the normal service interval. What do you all think?
I just did an oil and filter service at 2500, and based on the searches I did you'll find wildly different opinions on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would change them. Definitely change your oil and filter. I changed my trans and diff oil(see the DIY section for my pics) at 30K miles, I would not wait that long. I would recommend you to change the fluids. Its easy enough to do it yourself though.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722492
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

I asked the same thing....what I found is that M cars have break in fluids, and unless you have an M then this is unnecessary. However, I would not go with the regular intervals for oil changes. Turbo life is directly affected by gas and oil so I only run top tier 93+ octane and change my oil every 4k miles.

With that being said though, if it's not an arm and a leg to do...it can't hurt.
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLong View Post
I asked the same thing....what I found is that M cars have break in fluids, and unless you have an M then this is unnecessary. However, I would not go with the regular intervals for oil changes. Turbo life is directly affected by gas and oil so I only run top tier 93+ octane and change my oil every 4k miles.

With that being said though, if it's not an arm and a leg to do...it can't hurt.
The 1M has the SAME manual trans as the N55(135i) does. Only the LSD(diff) is different(and the drive shaft).

Once again the "Best oil is Fresh oil". Don't let BMW's bs marketing cloud your judgement and get the best of your common sense. Frequent oil(and fluid) changes are the number one best thing you can do for teh long term health of your engine/car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Do it! Change that fluid!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Go ahead and change it if you wish, but I'd consider taking an oil sample, get the report then see what it says. Unless you track your car or live in a very dusty environment, it's rare that with a full synthetic oil you really need to change it that early. Certainly at one year minimum if you don't drive much. Otherwise, it really is a waste of money IMPO.

Short oil change intervals came from 50-years ago where they didn't have to meet emissions controls, the engines really did need a significant breakin (not machined all that accurately), metals technology wasn't anywhere near what it is today, and the oils were MUCH less sophisticated than today. In fact, oils of even 5-years ago weren't all that good compared to what we have today. Today's engines must be manufactured much more accurately or they wouldn't pass emissions tests and the oil technology is far advanced.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The 1M has the SAME manual trans as the N55(135i) does. Only the LSD(diff) is different(and the drive shaft).

Once again the "Best oil is Fresh oil". Don't let BMW's bs marketing cloud your judgement and get the best of your common sense. Frequent oil(and fluid) changes are the number one best thing you can do for teh long term health of your engine/car.
Yes...I know....that's why I said M cars and not cars with N55 trans.
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Lemans Blue 128i ZMP 6MT

I changed engine oil, tranny and diff at 1800 miles. They were not very clean. BMW doesn't want your car to last for ever -just last past the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Go ahead and change it if you wish, but I'd consider taking an oil sample, get the report then see what it says. Unless you track your car or live in a very dusty environment, it's rare that with a full synthetic oil you really need to change it that early. Certainly at one year minimum if you don't drive much. Otherwise, it really is a waste of money IMPO.

Short oil change intervals came from 50-years ago where they didn't have to meet emissions controls, the engines really did need a significant breakin (not machined all that accurately), metals technology wasn't anywhere near what it is today, and the oils were MUCH less sophisticated than today. In fact, oils of even 5-years ago weren't all that good compared to what we have today. Today's engines must be manufactured much more accurately or they wouldn't pass emissions tests and the oil technology is far advanced.
exactly. I spoke to one of the bmw lab coat guys (haha) and he said that oil samples taken from cars with bmw synthetic oil in need of an oil chance have better lubricity than synthetic oils from a year ago brand new.

However if you don't mind the extra $ then why not?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the input guys.

I normally do all the wrenching on my cars but for some reason I seem to be a bit gun shy of getting under the hood on my 135i. I was this way with my Ducati 848 when I got it while I had no problems tearing into my ZX-10R. Don't understand the mental block I have with the "higher" marque brands.

Any thoughts on the fluid in the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

I don't think I have seen anyone change their DCT fluid yet. I would contact these guys for the proper fluid - since they seal with ZF transmission servicing.

http://www.thectsc.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128 View Post
I changed engine oil, tranny and diff at 1800 miles. They were not very clean. BMW doesn't want your car to last for ever -just last past the warranty.
+1 - did the transmission fluid lastweek (LT5) at 2000 mi, the fluid was pretty ugly. I'll do the diff this weekend.

I know there is plenty of discussion the boards here about the run in service change, i.e. "is it really needed". I plan on keeping this car a long time and it's on Mike Miller's old school schedule, so I'm doing it - fluid changes are cheap insurance

Local dealer quoted me $600 for oil/tranny/diff + labor, I had them do the oil on a $65 special and I'm doing the tranny and diff myself, the only cost will be the fluids and my time.

OP: Mike Miller recommends you change the fluids
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Yep change it
      03-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The DCT transmission (GS7D36SG) uses BMW DCTF-1 fluid.

Check on the M3 boards, there are a few there that have changed it (some with the transmission oil cooler flush, some drain and fill only).

I'm debating on if that's the right way to go at 30K on the E88 DCT - I believe in "lifetime fluids" about as much as unicorns and the tooth fairy.......
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

I've been driving since 1955 and have driven well over a million miles in the 24 cars I've owned. Early on I remember my Dad and I going to a reliable gas station to get the oil changed in his GM cars every 1000 miles (he was a mechanical engineer for a major supplier to the automotive industry). I did my own oil changes in my first BMW (a new 1968 2002) and many other of my cars and generally followed the owners manual for all my cars. Except for putting a piston thru the block while illegally racing my 57 Chevy, I've never had any engine problems with any of my cars. I followed the factory service schedue. None have ever burned oil.

I know most of you won't believe this but I've found that over nearly sixty years of driving the designers and engineers who made your car (even the sacred BMW) actually know what they're doing and their recommendations for maintenance are sound and reasonable. I've done all the usual mods over the years when I was younger and more stupid and gullible and whether it's tire size, exhaust systems, air filters, etc. none of those mods have ever made the car better. Louder maybe, poorer handling maybe, more intake noise, etc but otherwise they were just a waste of money. But it is very easy to convince yourself that you know more than the factory engineers. You don't.

In other words, RTFM and follow the maintenance recommendations, don't drive like you think you're Michael Schumacher and you'll enjoy your car for a long, long time.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Allencic,

You apparently have 16 years on me but I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I admit that I am not an automotive engineer (just a mechanical engineer in the nuclear industry) and the engineers that designed my car certainly know more than I do about it. (We agree on models of bimmers, by the way.) But I don't think engineers are the ones, at least not solely, that determine our maintenance guidelines. I believe the marketers at BMW also had lots of input. It is just too convenient that the maintenance interval went up a lot and the break-in changes went away when BMW started providing "free" maintenance. Who is paying does not change the car mechanically. I believe we need to treat their guidance as the maximum interval.

To whoever suggested that the lubricants will not have their additive packages "used up" at 2000 miles or less, I agree. But that is not what the break-in change is about. It is getting rid of small bits of metal worn off during break-in.

I changed my oil and filter under 2000 miles and have changed my manual transmission and differential fluids once. I am about 30K miles and will probably do it again soon. I am out of the "free maintenance" interval and will do the oil and filter about every 5000 miles - partially because it is easier to remember and also because I am confident it is often enough. I use Mobil 1 European 0-40W because it is the cheapest thing I can find on BMWs list. I use Mann filters. I use Red Line lubricants for the transmission and rear end.

I might be wasting money by changing the oil more often than is really necessary. But in 42 years driving, I've yet to have major engine damage although I have rebuilt a couple motors because they were worn out. My early driving was all in used cars because that was all I could afford. Several were pretty close to worn out when I bought them. My 128i is my first bimmer and I plan to baby it and have it a long time.

Jim
      03-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I might be wasting money by changing the oil more often than is really necessary. But in 42 years driving, I've yet to have major engine damage although I have rebuilt a couple motors because they were worn out. My early driving was all in used cars because that was all I could afford. Several were pretty close to worn out when I bought them. My 128i is my first bimmer and I plan to baby it and have it a long time.

Jim
BMW has also revised the oil change interval down, which is especially terrifying when you consider the only motivation for them to do that is that they had enough engine failures within the initial warranty periods that they deemed it financially smart to do so.

Or another way to think of it, oil is cheap, engines are not.
      03-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

If you want to change your car's oil frequently that's fine. It probably gives you peace of mind.

When I got my 68 2002 (new) the owners manual indicated to change engine and trans oil at 1000 miles. I was taking a trip of a few hundred miles with the new car so I took it back to the dealer for those early changes. Engine oil change no problem. Herr professor doktor official BMW certified mekanik managed to change the transmission lube with automatic trans fluid. The transmission never failed in 100K miles but it sure made some strange noises. With engine oil changes at factory intervals the engine never failed or burned oil. Darned near everything else broke over the course of owning the car though. Great fun to drive but easily the most troublesome car I've ever owned. Maybe that's why I never had another BMW until my leased 2011 128i with free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm in the process of moving, less than 10 miles but still a move. I had a house completely full of stuff, my new wife had a place that was smaller but also quite full and somehow we have to figure out which stuff goes into the new house. We're getting close to the finish line but it isn't much, if any, fun.

With that background, it came time to change the oil in my non-BMW SUV and I needed to move things from the old house to the new. My wife asked why I didn't just let somebody else change my oil. My answer is supported by the preceding comment about wrong lubricant in the manual transmission. I had a co-worker that had his drain plug cross threaded. My mom had Walmart fail to refill her car with oil (resulting in a scrapped engine). So I do it myself. It takes the same or less time to do as to take it somewhere.

So I normally change it myself (and hers and her daughters (my step daughters)). It also minimizes the cost of my relatively frequent oil changes but that isn't the biggest factor. Less of my time and higher quality result are bigger factors.
      03-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
it's a total MYTH they need replacement. There are no facts to support it. These myths are propagated from people who did this 20 years ago. times have changed and you do not need to change the fluids at 1200 miles.

Owen2001 I believe did a full analysis of his oil after 1200 miles and found NO metal shards or abnormalities as the myth propagates.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it's a total MYTH they need replacement. There are no facts to support it. These myths are propagated from people who did this 20 years ago. times have changed and you do not need to change the fluids at 1200 miles.

Owen2001 I believe did a full analysis of his oil after 1200 miles and found NO metal shards or abnormalities as the myth propagates.
Hehe, here we go!

One of the few things I disagree with IEDEI on here. Perhaps the diff and transmission fluids don't NEED to be done. But yes, oil is cheaper than an engine, and with this very nice expensive toy that I love so much, I prefer to err on the side of playing it safe.
Appreciate 0