BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

A/C, fan, etc. controls out

Nothing on the control panel is working. I thought it might be a fuse, but there are several that service different functions on the panel, so it is not likely a fuse problem. Anyone have this problem? Clues?

By the way, this is the first time I've had locate the fuse box and I gotta say it is one of the most disappointing things I have stumbled across with this car. They really had to put quite an effort into making it as inaccessible as it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats
Nothing on the control panel is working. I thought it might be a fuse, but there are several that service different functions on the panel, so it is not likely a fuse problem. Anyone have this problem? Clues?

By the way, this is the first time I've had locate the fuse box and I gotta say it is one of the most disappointing things I have stumbled across with this car. They really had to put quite an effort into making it as inaccessible as it is.
Where is the fuse box? Pls post pics!
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (MH1 S)

Yeah, once you know how to drop the glovebox, it takes 5 seconds really. The issue I get with the fuse box is that once I stick my hand in, i don't have enough light in there (even with flashlight) to see where my hand is going. But thats just me, I have poor hand coordination

Did you have a look at the fuse graph showing you which fuse is what? You can narrow down which fuses might be out, and change them before you do anything else. Its the easiest and cheapest way to first tackle the problem IMO.
Performance: Manhart Stage 4 Tune (+ CF Airbox, FMIC, Oil Cooler), Akra Titanium Full Exhaust + cat delete, Manhart Headers, cp-e CP, HKS BOV, Quaife Helical Diff, CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

If I recall correctly, a while back one forum member had some electrical issue similar to yours and ended up being the battery cable (recal)l.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post

Shot in the dark: Loose connector (if the panel no longer lights up and/or if the car no longer responds to the car key) or broken IHK control unit.

do you have $609 CIC/Navigation or $663 Professional Radio?

Indeed the E9X and E8X fuses are a PITA to access.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Maybe the temperature control module?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek View Post
Yeah, once you know how to drop the glovebox, it takes 5 seconds really. The issue I get with the fuse box is that once I stick my hand in, i don't have enough light in there (even with flashlight) to see where my hand is going. But thats just me, I have poor hand coordination

Did you have a look at the fuse graph showing you which fuse is what? You can narrow down which fuses might be out, and change them before you do anything else. Its the easiest and cheapest way to first tackle the problem IMO.
I think it unlikely it is fuse-related, as there are different fuses for different controls on the panel, i.e., one fuse for the heated seats, another for the fan, etc. I don't think three or four fuses would have blown all at once and, if they did, it would certainly indicate a more serious problem.

The car was taken in for the battery cable recall soon after I got the notice several months ago, so that's not it.

As someone else mentioned, it is easier than opening the hood to get to the fuse box. However, as mentioned above, it sure as hell isn't as easy to see/grasp the fuses once you do. At least if the fuse box is under the hood, where in my humble opinion it should be, you can better see and grasp the fuses to change them.

Anyway, I had already scheduled an appointment with the dealer for an oil change (engine, transmission and differential) in a couple of days, so I'll just add this to the list when I drop the car off. I'll report back afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Turns out to have been a pinched wire that shorted out. When I asked the service adviser if it had anything to do with the recall repairs a few months ago when they had the dash out, he said he didn't think so. Right.

I told him that after the recall repair there was a rattle in the dash. They found it and fixed it.

I was a little surprised at all the stuff they did for the 26K mile service. Engine oil change (natch), transmission and differential drain and change, new spark plugs, brake fluid flush and cabin air filter change.

Car seems happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

That is an impressive list of stuff they did at 26k (gratis?) I'll be pretty surprised (and stoked) if they do all that for mine when the time comes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Turns out to have been a pinched wire that shorted out. When I asked the service adviser if it had anything to do with the recall repairs a few months ago when they had the dash out, he said he didn't think so. Right.

I told him that after the recall repair there was a rattle in the dash. They found it and fixed it.

I was a little surprised at all the stuff they did for the 26K mile service. Engine oil change (natch), transmission and differential drain and change, new spark plugs, brake fluid flush and cabin air filter change.

Car seems happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, after getting it back, I went to put some stuff in the trunk this evening only to discover that it won't open - neither with the button on the key or the button in the car. Ahh, dealers.
Appreciate 0