BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Burger OCC install

First mod on my "new" 1M, at 1900 miles.

Any forced-induction engine with direct injection is going to create blowby and put a certain amount of oil-mist-laden gunk into the intake via the PCV valve, the rate depending on type of use.

With direct injection, as on our cars, there is no gasoline going past the intake valves to wash them clean, and as others have documented, the valves (and the IC) accumulate nasty dirty gunk over time.

An oil catch can is an air/oil separator, which captures most of the oil mist, and keeps it out of the engine and IC - it's good preventive maintenance.

I purchased a Burger OCC, which is beautifully made, albeit poorly designed (no view tube for checking level, excess weight, and a lousy recommended location), as it is intended to be installed way back under a lot of parts, attached to the left-side strut brace.

This makes it an hours' PIA job to empty it, or even to check on the amount of dirty oil in it, which Must be done every few months to avoid serious problems if it should overflow into the intake.

During installation, it became obvious how bad the intended location really was, so I worked with George at Madness Motorworks to mount it in a much better location, as shown. It is now easy to check and empty it, making it far less likely to cause future problems.

It is attached to a piece of square-section steel, to support the ridiculous weight of the Burger OCC, and has a rubber spacer under the center bolt to damp vibration. We also replaced the non-oil-resistant water heater hose supplied by Burger with oil-resistant hose, which goes downhill to the catch-can to ensure that the PCV valve doesn't get clogged up.

I'd recommend Madness to anyone for BMW work around Portland - George has tuned and enhanced the 1-series cars since 2008 and has won magazine-sponsored tuner track challenges with his 400HP 135.

Last edited by EldRick; 10-01-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Nice, would love to see a step by step and also maybe a list of the modified pieces you used.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Uh, no. The longer the hose, the less efficient it operates in removing oil.

BTW, it doesn't need to be emptied very frequently and, with practice, it's a 20-25 minute job.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Uh, no. The longer the hose, the less efficient it operates in removing oil.
Nonsense. The only way in which the catch-can is "less efficient" with a longer hose is because some of the oil mist condenses on the inside of the hose before it gets to the can - this actually makes the air/oil separation More efficient, because there is more surface for the mist to accrete on.

With the hose running downhill and forward to the can, and the air flow toward it, that oil collects in the can anyway.

The only parts needed are a piece of bar-stock with four holes drilled in it, a rubber spacer for under it, and four bolts to use one existing bracket mount at the wheel-well, and a hole drilled thru an existing dimple in the bracket. And a Madness sticker for the can, of course...
6^)

Last edited by EldRick; 10-01-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
ALEJANDRO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 1M 2012

To those who know, what are the best OCC alternatives for the 1M in terms of design and functionality?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I know that Terry Burger spent a lot of time on the design of his occ, including its placement.

According to him, making the inlet and outlet hoses long like that will increase PCV restriction and could cause problems. His occ was specifically designed to have SHORT hoses due to previous testing showing problems with the installation location you -- and others -- have chosen.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Apparently professional opinions differ. I'll stick with George Mehalick's.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Apparently professional opinions differ. I'll stick with George Mehalick's.

Rick
Hopefully, Terry used data and not opinions for his OCC placement. Anyway, please keep us informed on how much oil you catch after 10k miles.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IMHO, and that of an SA at Portland BMW, hiding the OCC where Burger recommends is a recipe for disaster. They had a car come in, on which the second owner didn't see, or didn't understand, that an OCC needed to be emptied, and of course, with no sight glass, couldn't have seen that it was full anyway.

The result was a bolus of oil being dumped into the turbo - a costly disaster.

I'll keep mine easily accessible, thanks. I'll let you know how it works out...

Last edited by EldRick; 10-01-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
urbanstorm
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Regardless if it is slightly less efficient or not, it would be difficult to argue that it is not a esthetically pleasing install. Very tidy.

Nice job.

Robert
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0