BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2018, 02:58 AM   #1
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

BPC Tune For N51

Considering getting the BPC tune for my N51. Living in California, I'm hesitant to get headers. Just so much hassle when it comes time to smog. But my car did come stock with the 3-stage intake manifold. Would it be worth it to get the N51 BPC? My car currently has the PI and PE.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmatageShanks View Post
Considering getting the BPC tune for my N51. Living in California, I'm hesitant to get headers. Just so much hassle when it comes time to smog. But my car did come stock with the 3-stage intake manifold. Would it be worth it to get the N51 BPC? My car currently has the PI and PE.
As long as you keep the secondary cats, you might be fine with headers, but CA is brutal with mods...

About the tune, I'm not sure, as I have an N52 tuned by Active Autowerke (Turner). Good tune, but doesn't push any boundaries.
      06-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

You shouldn't have any issues.
Appreciate 1
Phil@BPC463.00
      06-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Don't have an n51, but I'm super happy with the BPC tune in my n52.
Appreciate 1
Phil@BPC463.00
      08-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
did you ever get the tune? I am thinking of going the same route or Bimmer lab has a free tune
      08-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
As long as you keep the secondary cats, you might be fine with headers, but CA is brutal with mods...

About the tune, I'm not sure, as I have an N52 tuned by Active Autowerke (Turner). Good tune, but doesn't push any boundaries.
Secondary cats are behind the postcat O2 sensors and will not affect your ability to pass a smog check assuming it is an OBDII test. If you were going to fail without secondaries, you will fail with them. Some states that require emissions inspections will let you pass with 1 Not Ready system so you could theoretically get through inspection without primaries, though I do not have experience trying to do that. I do not know CA's laws but if there was any state that would not allow any Not Readys, it's CA.

I have AA headers and the BPC N51 tune and there is something wrong that nobody seems to be able to figure out, and the car won't idle well. If I could do it over again I would skip the headers and go with just a tune, or leave it stock. AFAIK the Bimmerlabs tune is only for the N52 with aftermarket 3-stage manifold - it is not for the N51 so your options are BPC or AA.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Secondary cats are behind the postcat O2 sensors and will not affect your ability to pass a smog check assuming it is an OBDII test. If you were going to fail without secondaries, you will fail with them. Some states that require emissions inspections will let you pass with 1 Not Ready system so you could theoretically get through inspection without primaries, though I do not have experience trying to do that. I do not know CA's laws but if there was any state that would not allow any Not Readys, it's CA.

I have AA headers and the BPC N51 tune and there is something wrong that nobody seems to be able to figure out, and the car won't idle well. If I could do it over again I would skip the headers and go with just a tune, or leave it stock. AFAIK the Bimmerlabs tune is only for the N52 with aftermarket 3-stage manifold - it is not for the N51 so your options are BPC or AA.
Choppy idle is hit or miss. Keep resetting the adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up.
      08-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
Choppy idle is hit or miss. Keep resetting the adaptations.
Between me and my shop, we've reset adaptations a dozen times with no affect. And replaced $1k worth of sensors. At this point I am leaving it alone. I have 8 track days between September and December and if the car doesn't run right after 1000 miles of redlining it, then it's just going to be a track car until it blows up.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Between me and my shop, we've reset adaptations a dozen times with no affect. And replaced $1k worth of sensors. At this point I am leaving it alone. I have 8 track days between September and December and if the car doesn't run right after 1000 miles of redlining it, then it's just going to be a track car until it blows up.
Odd, it's never really been an issue for me. I've reinstalled tunes multiple times, and I haven't had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho123 View Post
did you ever get the tune? I am thinking of going the same route or Bimmer lab has a free tune
Haven't gotten it yet. Trying to decide how I'm going to approach this in terms of mods, as those will effect the BPC tune. Now I'm considering going the MILVs route with no headers. So I'd have the performance exhaust, performance intake, MILVs, and BPC tune. Anyone have any opinions on this setup? Would I be completely missing something not going with headers? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Haven't gotten it yet. Trying to decide how I'm going to approach this in terms of mods, as those will effect the BPC tune. Now I'm considering going the MILVs route with no headers. So I'd have the performance exhaust, performance intake, MILVs, and BPC tune. Anyone have any opinions on this setup? Would I be completely missing something not going with headers? Thanks
Yeah someone already went that route. varoadking did. Ask for his tune.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
varoadking
King of Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yup...I've got a 3 stage IM on my N52 too, so we seem to have all the same bits...

224whp on my auto 128i...

I'm adding a Riot Racing BBTB this week just to squeeze every bit out of this thing I can without going to headers...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
Yup...I've got a 3 stage IM on my N52 too, so we seem to have all the same bits...

224whp on my auto 128i...

I'm adding a Riot Racing BBTB this week just to squeeze every bit out of this thing I can without going to headers...
Question - do you have a high flow intake as well or just the 3 stage IM?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
varoadking
King of Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Question - do you have a high flow intake as well or just the 3 stage IM?

I have the BMW Euro with K&N...Turner silicon tube as well...
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Anyone else here have a tuned N51? There is so little info out there for N51's...

Also, are you guys saying/thinking that headers are causing your idling issues? Or is it the fact that these aftermarket tunes were designed for an N52 which is causing problems when used on an N51 car?

Thanks,
aM
      09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Anyone else here have a tuned N51? There is so little info out there for N51's...

Also, are you guys saying/thinking that headers are causing your idling issues? Or is it the fact that these aftermarket tunes were designed for an N52 which is causing problems when used on an N51 car?

Thanks,
aM
What issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Quote:
I have AA headers and the BPC N51 tune and there is something wrong that nobody seems to be able to figure out, and the car won't idle well.
This. IIRC, he's the only guy I've seen on the boards with a BPC tuned N51. The only other guy I can think of with a tuned N51 is Eagle1Oh7 out in Cali, but I think he has the AA tune.

There is so little info, I just can't decide if headers and/or tune are worth it for the N51. With the N51 already having the 3 stage intake, a tune isn't as necessary as with the N52 IMO, and I don't think I've seen a dyno graph showing pre and post tuned N51 data.

Hmm not even sure if I have personally seen a 330i pre and post tune chart, all else equal - or a Bimmerlabs tuned N52 w/ 3 stage vs. same car with BPC tune, all else equal.

It's hard to justify $500 for possibly only 10 whp (tune), or $1500 for MILVS + tune which might only net 20 whp - especially if it comes with idle problems, etc.

I definitely want it... guess it's the angels advocate on my other shoulder telling me to hold off. I'll create a thread as the time nears so that I can collect more data (dynos).

My (hopeful) plan is MILVS + Headers + BPC Dyno Tune, all at once. But if I shell out $2500 and the car doesn't idle well, I'll be pissed. Mo powah mo probs is not how I live.
      09-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
This. IIRC, he's the only guy I've seen on the boards with a BPC tuned N51. The only other guy I can think of with a tuned N51 is Eagle1Oh7 out in Cali, but I think he has the AA tune.

There is so little info, I just can't decide if headers and/or tune are worth it for the N51. With the N51 already having the 3 stage intake, a tune isn't as necessary as with the N52 IMO, and I don't think I've seen a dyno graph showing pre and post tuned N51 data.

Hmm not even sure if I have personally seen a 330i pre and post tune chart, all else equal - or a Bimmerlabs tuned N52 w/ 3 stage vs. same car with BPC tune, all else equal.

It's hard to justify $500 for possibly only 10 whp (tune), or $1500 for MILVS + tune which might only net 20 whp - especially if it comes with idle problems, etc.

I definitely want it... guess it's the angels advocate on my other shoulder telling me to hold off. I'll create a thread as the time nears so that I can collect more data (dynos).

My (hopeful) plan is MILVS + Headers + BPC Dyno Tune, all at once. But if I shell out $2500 and the car doesn't idle well, I'll be pissed. Mo powah mo probs is not how I live.
My N51 128i has an early version of the Active Autowerke tune installed (they've since revised and updated it). At a "dyno day" I went to with some forum members it put down 220whp and 207wtq on a Mustang dyno which is about 260hp at the crank. I've put 70,000+ miles and a few tracks days on the car since that time without any reliability issues or decrease in mpg (consistent 29mpg on highway).

If you google search you'll find more info but here are some relevant threads on the AA N51 tunes. On stock cars the tune unlocks the potential of the 3 stage manifold to put it right up with the high output 130i and 330i N52 engines.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1009682

This is my dyno run below:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1061704

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chris82; 09-18-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #20
MattF407
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 128i

There are a few floating around with this, my N51 w/BPC stage 2 Tune has ~500 miles since Tune and reset of adaptations & I have an intermittent rough idle. My idle at good times fluctuates less than 150-300 rpm, with the bad around 400-700 rpm. The car never kills and still performs beautifully otherwise. With no definite evidence on what is causing the problem, I have two areas I am looking into for now to make sure it's not something stupid or simple. All in all, I regret nothing and would do it again even if told there would be an idle issue. I should also note I have days with perfect idles for my entire commute, which makes me wonder what is different drive to drive.

1) We have a SAP for emissions that N52 do not. I removed this system in the process of installing headers.

2) Damaged or bad O2 sensors, MAF sensor, or plugs/coils.

If these don't put me right, then back to the drawing board we go. It would be beneficial if there is an N51 out there that did a MILVs+3IM Tune and if that resulted in the similar idle issues as us that went down the headers route.

Hope this helps inform your decision a little more, also look into kgolfs build I believe it was an N51 on AA tune and I don't recall any mention of issues.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
Blutactical
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattF407 View Post
There are a few floating around with this, my N51 w/BPC stage 2 Tune has ~500 miles since Tune and reset of adaptations & I have an intermittent rough idle. My idle at good times fluctuates less than 150-300 rpm, with the bad around 400-700 rpm. The car never kills and still performs beautifully otherwise. With no definite evidence on what is causing the problem, I have two areas I am looking into for now to make sure it's not something stupid or simple. All in all, I regret nothing and would do it again even if told there would be an idle issue. I should also note I have days with perfect idles for my entire commute, which makes me wonder what is different drive to drive.

1) We have a SAP for emissions that N52 do not. I removed this system in the process of installing headers.

2) Damaged or bad O2 sensors, MAF sensor, or plugs/coils.

If these don't put me right, then back to the drawing board we go. It would be beneficial if there is an N51 out there that did a MILVs+3IM Tune and if that resulted in the similar idle issues as us that went down the headers route.

Hope this helps inform your decision a little more, also look into kgolfs build I believe it was an N51 on AA tune and I don't recall any mention of issues.
Is the rough idle an issue over time? I was considering a BPC tune but not sure if I should go with AA instead
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #22
Blutactical
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Quote:

My N51 128i has an early version of the Active Autowerke tune installed (they've since revised and updated it). At a "dyno day" I went to with some forum members it put down 220whp and 207wtq on a Mustang dyno which is about 260hp at the crank. I've put 70,000+ miles and a few tracks days on the car since that time without any reliability issues or decrease in mpg (consistent 29mpg on highway).

If you google search you'll find more info but here are some relevant threads on the AA N51 tunes. On stock cars the tune unlocks the potential of the 3 stage manifold to put it right up with the high output 130i and 330i N52 engines.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1009682

This is my dyno run below:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1061704

Hope this helps.
Would you still choose the AA tune over a BPC tune today? On an N51.
Appreciate 0