BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #45
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Funny you ask, one of the triangular parts broke on me in transit and I ended up asking myself the same question.

From how it's built from the factory, I don't think this is possible without breaking anything.

I know there are plastic rivet style tabs that join the triangular pice and that can't be separated easily.

As for the folding hinge, I don't think you can cleanly separate the two parts. I could be wrong.

Check if there are any bolts when looking down the middle of the hinge section where the tension spring is mounted.

Real OEM doesn't have much info on the LCI power fold style under e82. They may for another LCI E chassis car though.

I ended up gluing the broken piece cleanly enough that the beak is very unnoticeable on the triangular plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #46
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Funny you ask, one of the triangular parts broke on me in transit and I ended up asking myself the same question.

From how it's built from the factory, I don't think this is possible without breaking anything.

I know there are plastic rivet style tabs that join the triangular pice and that can't be separated easily.

As for the folding hinge, I don't think you can cleanly separate the two parts. I could be wrong.

Check if there are any bolts when looking down the middle of the hinge section where the tension spring is mounted.

Real OEM doesn't have much info on the LCI power fold style under e82. They may for another LCI E chassis car though.

I ended up gluing the broken piece cleanly enough that the beak is very unnoticeable on the triangular plastic.
Thanks for confirming, I had a feeling it's not do-able
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #47
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread here...

I'm about to retrofit pre-facelift (smaller) door mirrors, and don't need powerfold or auto-dim but I would really like the tilt in reverse function.

My car has manual seats, so I've also ordered the LIN bus door harnesses.

Where I'm stuck, is there are several versions of the mirrors. The 'memory' version of the mirrors are about $200 more per side than the regular versions.

If I only need the tilt in reverse and not the 3 preset memory positions, do I still need to buy the memory versions of the mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #48
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread here...

I'm about to retrofit pre-facelift (smaller) door mirrors, and don't need powerfold or auto-dim but I would really like the tilt in reverse function.

My car has manual seats, so I've also ordered the LIN bus door harnesses.

Where I'm stuck, is there are several versions of the mirrors. The 'memory' version of the mirrors are about $200 more per side than the regular versions.

If I only need the tilt in reverse and not the 3 preset memory positions, do I still need to buy the memory versions of the mirrors?
Yes.

When it comes to mirrors of the e89 plarform here are only 2 different versions: basic/low and LIN/high. To realize any single of the LIN/high features you need the full chain of LIN/high enabled components plus some coding of modules

Depending on market you may find housings or mirrors that support only part of the full LIN/high features. But frankly NA tends to get all or nothing as standard, so those are probably your component options at US dealers. When checking for parts on realoem crosslink option s430. Option s430's description in realoem suggests that this option is all about auto dip, but in effect it is also needed for fold-in and the memory setting of the mirrors. Other basic features like adjustment and heating are not different in user experience between the basic and LIN version.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      11-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #49
SimPar
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E82 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
would be interested in what this means & your benefits for doing?

On topic, OP's question is on a distant to-do list. Retrofit target is option $430 dimming mirrors (which includes the stand alone folding mirrors option $313). This is my preliminary shopping list based on a NO power seats 459 & NO 313/430 original car:

51168041953 Mirror glas heated plane left ELEKTROCHROM
51168041954 Mirror glas heated convex right ELEKTROCHROM
67137842601 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Left (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137842602 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Right (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137191398 Power, outside mirror, LIN bus (2X) (Mirror actuators for up-down-left-right movements)
61319216526 Switch Window Lifter, Driver Side (I believe this part to be optional if mirrors are only operated through key fob. Suggest to try without first)
51169225980 Interior Mirror EC/LED/GTO/compass/FLA (Relates to dimming mirrors)
61120434330 Retrofit wire, rearview, electrochromat (Relates to dimming mirrors)
VO (vehicle option) coding 430

If you'd go for folding mirrors only, I believe this should get you a long way:
67137191402 Drive, outside mirror left $84.48
67137191405 Drive, outside mirror right $84.48
67136940596 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS (2X) $27.37
VO (vehicle option) coding 313

good luck and looking forward to your DIY thread shortly
I have a north american 2012 135i and I badly want the auto-folding mirror (so when I park they fold automatically) Since I have the facelifted model (meaning that the mirror are not like the e90's) and already have blue heating euro mirror lenses and no power seats, can I go with only the second portion of your part list (excluding the mirror lenses)? I do not plan to add a control button on the driver's door, I will code the mirror to fold on parking and unfold on starting. I also had my car wrapped, can I keep the original mirror housing? Thank you for your exhaustive list
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #50
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPar View Post
I have a north american 2012 135i and I badly want the auto-folding mirror (so when I park they fold automatically) Since I have the facelifted model (meaning that the mirror are not like the e90's) and already have blue heating euro mirror lenses and no power seats, can I go with only the second portion of your part list (excluding the mirror lenses)? I do not plan to add a control button on the driver's door, I will code the mirror to fold on parking and unfold on starting. I also had my car wrapped, can I keep the original mirror housing? Thank you for your exhaustive list
If you want to keep your mirror heating, you’re already in the upper part of the list. Here’s why: The LIN/high version of the mirror glasses do everything (change position, heating, folding & dimming) based on a digital command. Although basic/low mirrors can change position, and be heated. If you have the folding function, al other functions can only be transferred inside the mirror housing digitally.

Facelift or not does not change any of the mirror dimensions, coding or other considerations. Thus as long as you select the LIN/high version of your current mirror style (135/128/regular or M) you can reuse your caps.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #51
SimPar
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E82 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
If you want to keep your mirror heating, you’re already in the upper part of the list. Here’s why: The LIN/high version of the mirror glasses do everything (change position, heating, folding & dimming) based on a digital command. Although basic/low mirrors can change position, and be heated. If you have the folding function, al other functions can only be transferred inside the mirror housing digitally.

Facelift or not does not change any of the mirror dimensions, coding or other considerations. Thus as long as you select the LIN/high version of your current mirror style (135/128/regular or M) you can reuse your caps.
Good to know. However I really do not need the heating mirror this is only my summer car. That being does I need to add about anything from the 2nd portion of the list and I just want automated folding control. Thank you again

Last edited by SimPar; 11-14-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0