BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #45
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Oh, burn, You really just don't have a clue, do you? Do you not think their engineers compromise? Do you not think some people prefer the changes that their modifications brought about? Do you not think some things have improved over time when it comes to replacement part options? Do you not think that non-M cars can benefit from some M parts? Do you still have stock RFT's as the engineers obviously thought were the very best? Enjoying your stock RSFB's or CDV? The idea that you think nothing can be improved is silly.

Not sure why I'm bothering. You've combined a little each of several logical fallacies with your statement, making it somewhat clear you're trolling. So - good luck with yourself.
Exactly; this guy gets it. Engineering is always about working within constraints, whether those constraints are money, performance, or comfort. The car's suspension was designed with the RFT in mind, which were used for whatever reason BMW thought best. They are by no means the optimal tire for all uses of the car. Change the tire? Get ready to change other things to deal with the effects of that change. Arguing that nothing can be improved because engineers in a commercial enterprise made certain decisions is asinine. Would someone really argue that the RFTs are a choice decision for track use, for instance? BMW specifies that the diff fluid is lifetime - does that sound practical?

Back on topic - dumb question: did OP drive the car after checking the ride height? My new-ish Konis take some more effort to settle than the worn OE struts I pulled off at ~60k mi. When I first installed, the car looked to be >0.5in higher than it was before. After a short drive and some braking, it settled back in to where I expected it to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #46
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Exactly; this guy gets it. Engineering is always about working within constraints, whether those constraints are money, performance, or comfort. The car's suspension was designed with the RFT in mind, which were used for whatever reason BMW thought best. They are by no means the optimal tire for all uses of the car. Change the tire? Get ready to change other things to deal with the effects of that change. Arguing that nothing can be improved because engineers in a commercial enterprise made certain decisions is asinine. Would someone really argue that the RFTs are a choice decision for track use, for instance? BMW specifies that the diff fluid is lifetime - does that sound practical?

Back on topic - dumb question: did OP drive the car after checking the ride height? My new-ish Konis take some more effort to settle than the worn OE struts I pulled off at ~60k mi. When I first installed, the car looked to be >0.5in higher than it was before. After a short drive and some braking, it settled back in to where I expected it to be.
BMW offers the current Two with either RFT or GF, go flat, tires. Next shocks don't settle in. They are like shoes. If they don't fit the first time you put your foot in, they'll never feel right. Also what BMW specifies doesn't mean the engineers agree.

The likely problem with most DIYer and even professional mechanics work is they don't do it properly. For example not letting the car settle on its suspension before tightening bolts. Even a run around the block is a good idea before the final check.

Another thing is that he didn't compare parts before doing the install. It often isn't easy to be sure one has the correct parts which is why it's important to buy parts from the right people.

And finally, a BMW is a poor man's Porsche. It's too bad that BMWs haven't had rock solid reliability of say the Japanese cars, but I blame most of it on poor quality control and offering advanced technology without thorough testing.

In the meanwhile, the Japs are fanatics when it comes to quality control and have a very tight control on its suppliers. Being crazy careful and very dependent on the American market, they do abnormal amounts of testing before releasing any product to our market.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #47
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #48
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
You might notice that I'm a 2nd Lt while you are just a lowly private!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #49
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
It's difficult to compare a new strut with an old on that is still on the car. I wear a size 40 suit jacket. If I buy a new size 40 jacket I should expect the new jacket to fit me in close to the very same way as the old.

Depends a size 40 in a modern fit will not be the same as a size 40 regular fit.

Just sayin.(I used to sell suits)

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #50
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
It's difficult to compare a new strut with an old on that is still on the car. I wear a size 40 suit jacket. If I buy a new size 40 jacket I should expect the new jacket to fit me in close to the very same way as the old.

Depends a size 40 in a modern fit will not be the same as a size 40 regular fit.

Just sayin.(I used to sell suits)

And, one size 10 shoe might fit a little different than other size 10 shoes.

Example: I always wear Brooks running shoes for walking and they don't all fit the same even though they are all Brooks.
      02-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #51
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
You might notice that I'm a 2nd Lt while you are just a lowly private!
“These cars don't need shock or strut replacements. These part are good for the life of the car.” Um, no generally unless you live in an area with super smooth roads or don’t give a crap about how your car rides they most deffinatly are not.

“Next shocks don't settle in.” Yes they certainly do. New shocks tend to lower a couple of centimeters after a few miles.

Not that I think anyone takes your condescending posts seriously anyways but maybe if your going to talk to everyone like they are idiots you should know what the f$&@ your talking about and not state your opinions as facts.

Also people have been modifying BMWs to be faster and handle better since the beginning depending on their preferances. If you are happy with the way your car handles and happy with 300hp it came with then good for you, but that’s not a reason to come on here and bash everyone who doesn’t feel the same way you do.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      02-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #52
nmq1608
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Did you find out the problem yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #53
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Are the new shocks stiffer than the FSD's?
That may play a role in the ride height being higher than before.
I know nothing about suspension, so don't troll me either.