E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Front mask....anyone have one?

05-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
mapsbmw
Awesomest Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i => 2006

Front mask....anyone have one?

I just bought a front mask for my E90 and will be installing it tomorrow or the day after. Anyway, it is strictly going to be used for long drives (I am driving 900 miles this Thursday ).

Any installation suggestions? Doesn't look as straight forward as my old car's.
      05-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
semler3
BeemerAddict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550xi Dinan

My advice is to NOT INSTALL it. They are terriblly harmful to your paint. Dirt (dust) collects underneath and as you drive the bra acts like a giant piece of sandpaper.

Get a clear bra...much better option. I have one that covers the bumber, 18in on the hood, the side mirrors, the headlights, the fog lights, and they even put a small strip in the door handle to prevent the wifes nails from scatching up my mistress...

I drive 98 miles a day very fast and I love my clear bra. The front end is still pristine after 5000 miles in 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
mapsbmw
Awesomest Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by semler3
My advice is to NOT INSTALL it. They are terriblly harmful to your paint. Dirt (dust) collects underneath and as you drive the bra acts like a giant piece of sandpaper.

Get a clear bra...much better option. I have one that covers the bumber, 18in on the hood, the side mirrors, the headlights, the fog lights, and they even put a small strip in the door handle to prevent the wifes nails from scatching up my mistress...

I drive 98 miles a day very fast and I love my clear bra. The front end is still pristine after 5000 miles in 2 months.
How harmful can it really when I'll only have it on for 14 hours (900 miles). Isn't there a greater chance that my bumper get chips without it on?
      05-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapsbmw
How harmful can it really when I'll only have it on for 14 hours (900 miles). Isn't there a greater chance that my bumper get chips without it on?

Think about the speed you are traveling for that long distance... It will scuff up your paint...

Get a clearbra put on your car. I realize its short notice, but if you want protection from rock chips, then do it. I love my clearbra, and you can only really see it up close and when its really dirty... It just gives me an excuse to make sure the car is clean
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
mapsbmw
Awesomest Member
Rep

I appreciate the comments. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how all this sand and dirt is going to accumulate on my car, make it under the bra, and scuff the hell out of it in 14 hours. I do intend to wash the car prior to slapping this baby on, and its coming off when I reach my destination. I agree with you on what would happen if I was leaving the bra on long term, but 14 hours of driving?

I would like to have the clear bra installed and am looking into getting some numbers, but its not going to happen before Thursday.
      05-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

For just one long trip, I don't think its really going to help or hurt. It definately won't hurt if you wash the car and the bra and put it on immediately after it dries.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
mapsbmw
Awesomest Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueNJ
For just one long trip, I don't think its really going to help or hurt. It definately won't hurt if you wash the car and the bra and put it on immediately after it dries.
Last time I did this trip my bumper had a few nicks on it. They show up pretty well since the unpainted bumper is black and my car is silver. Figure for 900 miles of driving...its bound to get a few. I'll try to prevent those and save up for the ones I get with everyday driving!