BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Apex ARC-8R Fitment Question

I currently have Rotiform LAS-R's on the front and rear. My current setup is 18X8.5+35 in the rear and 18x8.5+45 in the front. They look amazing especially in motion. The rear wheels concave is perfect, but unfortunately they rub a lot whenever i hit a corner hard or if i hit a bump. I'm looking to purchase Apex ARC-8R's but I'm curious to know if I'm going to have the same issue if I use Front: 17x9" ET30 and Rear: 17x9.5" ET35? I already have my fenders rolled and i feel like 17's might help prevent rubbing but I'm not positive. My fronts don't rub at all right now. The rears only rub slightly on the edge of the rear quarter panels so I'm seeking any input. Would I still need camber plates and arms to use this setup? Any one with photos with these specs? TIA!

Here's a picture of my fitment of 18x.5+35 in the rear and 18x8.5+45 in the front:

Last edited by twinturbovan; 11-22-2021 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
17s with those specs will rub more than your current wheels.

Look up a wheel offset calculator, plug in the specs for current front wheels and front wheels you want to get. It should tell you how much clearance you'll gain/lose with the new wheel. The repeat with rear wheel specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
17s with those specs will rub more than your current wheels.

Look up a wheel offset calculator, plug in the specs for current front wheels and front wheels you want to get. It should tell you how much clearance you'll gain/lose with the new wheel. The repeat with rear wheel specs.
Can you explain how those specs will rub more than my current wheels when the wheel is smaller in size? Those calculators don't do anything for me since I barely understand wheel fitment measurements which is why im asking here lmao.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
The new wheels are shorter, but you can also compensate for height by running a taller profiled tired. The issue that will make the new wheels rub is the new wheels are 9.5inches wide vs 8.5inches wide for the other one. On the rear, the offset is the same so the new wheel will sit in the same place but stick out on the inside and outside by an extra half inch. The new front wheel is wider and the offset will also have it sticking out an extra 15mm, so it will now rub more than the rear.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Can you explain how those specs will rub more than my current wheels when the wheel is smaller in size? Those calculators don't do anything for me since I barely understand wheel fitment measurements which is why im asking here lmao.
I mentioned the calculator because most show you how the position of the new wheel changes relative to the inside and outside. Since you know that you rub the rear outside if you run a wider wheel with a lower offset you'll see that the wheel will stick out even further and rub more.

Wheel diameter being smaller is one factor, but the tire size you choose to run makes up the overall diameter of the entire wheel/tire. Usually, people choose to run a bigger sidewall on a 17 which makes up the 1" difference in diameter to an 18".

Have you seen the apex 1 series fitment guide, it's a pretty good look on what it takes to get wheels to fit this chassis.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
FayceRanko
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Has anyone here had trouble with the APEX wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt it just fitment if they get a concave wheel. Im just going with Apex 17'' Track Spec reccomended wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I currently have Rotiform LAS-R's on the front and rear. My current setup is 18X8.5+35 in the rear and 18x8.5+45 in the front. They look amazing especially in motion. The rear wheels concave is perfect, but unfortunately they rub a lot whenever i hit a corner hard or if i hit a bump. I'm looking to purchase Apex ARC-8R's but I'm curious to know if I'm going to have the same issue if I use Front: 17x9" ET30 and Rear: 17x9.5" ET35? I already have my fenders rolled and i feel like 17's might help prevent rubbing but I'm not positive. My fronts don't rub at all right now. The rears only rub slightly on the edge of the rear quarter panels so I'm seeking any input. Would I still need camber plates and arms to use this setup? Any one with photos with these specs? TIA!

Here's a picture of my fitment of 18x.5+35 in the rear and 18x8.5+45 in the front:

What kind of suspension you have on there? Just curious it looks good
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
What kind of suspension you have on there? Just curious it looks good
I'm on BC Racing BR Coilovers. Idr how low I am lowered but i have more room to lower. But it's only a few clicks away from being maxed out on stiffness. It's not comfortable with my stiffness set up but bc track car. I'm used to it. I can find out the specs of height etc when I put the new Apex wheels on though. I ordered 4 of Apex Track Spec for the ARC-8. I spoke to Apex as well and I'm hoping they will be making their track spec ARC-8 in forged bc that's what i wanted but they said not enough people track their 1 series which is why they havent made them in forged for that spec they plan to this coming year so im excited.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm on BC Racing BR Coilovers. Idr how low I am lowered but i have more room to lower. But it's only a few clicks away from being maxed out on stiffness. It's not comfortable with my stiffness set up but bc track car. I'm used to it. I can find out the specs of height etc when I put the new Apex wheels on though. I ordered 4 of Apex Track Spec for the ARC-8. I spoke to Apex as well and I'm hoping they will be making their track spec ARC-8 in forged bc that's what i wanted but they said not enough people track their 1 series which is why they havent made them in forged for that spec they plan to this coming year so im excited.
I need to spread more time on the forums to catch threads like this, but the recommendation for a wheel and tire calculator is a good one. https://www.willtheyfit.com/ is a great site. It's less detailed than some other options but does a good job of visually comparing where wheels sit relative to other fitments in space.

It sounds like you have our 17x9 ET52 wheels on order which should work well, but let me know if you have any other questions. BC coilovers can limit inner clearance up front with the strut/spring/perch configuration so wider spacers are sometimes required depending on your tire model choice et c.

-Tom
      12-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #11
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
I need to spread more time on the forums to catch threads like this, but the recommendation for a wheel and tire calculator is a good one. https://www.willtheyfit.com/ is a great site. It's less detailed than some other options but does a good job of visually comparing where wheels sit relative to other fitments in space.

It sounds like you have our 17x9 ET52 wheels on order which should work well, but let me know if you have any other questions. BC coilovers can limit inner clearance up front with the strut/spring/perch configuration so wider spacers are sometimes required depending on your tire model choice et c.

-Tom
Sounds good! I will message you today so we can discuss what i will need to install my new Apex wheels. Funny thing, my best friends name is Tom and hes driving my car on track at COTA this weekend.
Appreciate 1