BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

2008 128i Convertible M-Sport 6MT Black 114k - WA

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
Up for sale is my black sapphire metallic 2008 128i Convertible E88, optioned with the rare for a convertible combination of manual transmission and M-Sport package with manual sport seats. It is currently coming up on 114k miles.

Aside from normal oil changes, between 105k and 110k miles the following were performed in this order:
-New rotors (coated), pads (Stoptech 309 Sport), and fluid (ATE Type 200).
-Second pair of "rear" 17x7.5 Style 262 wheel installed on front to run square 225/45R17 (G-Max RS) tire setup.
-N55 135i full exhaust.
-OFH changed to high-output N52 heat exchanger style to help keep oil temps in check.
-OFHG replaced.
-Water pump and thermostat replaced.
-Accessory belt and tensioner replaced.
-M3 front control arms.
-Solid HDPE 2-piece rear subframe bushings.
-YCW coilovers, custom spring rates and matched damping.
-Performance alignment.
-Oil pan gasket replaced.

It runs great, and would not hesitate to fly and drive. Cosmetically it's 'good', possibly even 'very good' for the age and mileage. The paint does have a few noticeable chips and scratches, but nothing major. There is a small crack (not tear) in the outboard bottom bolster of the drivers seat leather, and the radio display gets useless when hot. Overall though, nothing unusual or unexpected with this era of BMW.

The exhaust is detailed here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1735292
It's the perfect 128i sport exhaust in my opinion. If you want racier, any other bolt-on 135i axle back is now a bolt-on for this 128i too.

The stock springs provide a slightly stiffer rear ride than front, commonly referred to as 'flat ride'. Despite the rear spring rates being listed as higher, the resulting wheel rates for off-the-shelf coilovers change this to be slighter stiffer front than rear ride. Typical coilvers are 1.95 Hz front and 1.8 Hz rear ride frequency. I specified mine the reverse of this, at 1.8 Hz front and 1.95 Hz rear to maintain the 'flat ride' effect without going too stiff or harsh. Everything else (travel, damping rates, etc.) about the coilovers was custom specified to accommodate this.

The fronts work great. The rears work well, but do have a minor issue I have not yet tracked down. On small ripple type bumps, there is something in the suspension acting as an undamped spring with motion not going through the shock. It's not bad, but I know it could be better based on how the fronts work. I have parts and ideas that I believe should resolve this most, if not all the way... It just hasn't been bad enough for me to make the time to do it yet.

One of the TMPS went out. Rather than replace it, the module has been unplugged and it's throwing an error message on the dash. The goal was to do the common coding to change it from direct to indirect TPMS, which would also allow multiple sets of wheels without having to worry about purchasing and maintaining all those TMPS units.

Currently there is an occasional oil drip from valve cover gasket on to exhaust manifolds. It's not happening frequent or fast enough to require adding oil between changes, but it's obviously time for the valve cover gasket replacement sooner or later.

Ready for oil change, that I plan to perform prior to sale.

Additional items being included:
-Original stock pair of 17x7.0 Style 262 "front" wheels.
-Original stock 128i convertible M-Sport springs.
-303 Cloth Convertible top cleaning and protectant kit.
-Coils and plugs for installation during valve cover gasket replacement.
-3-Stage Intake Manifold with untested OEM DISA valves for installation during valve cover gasket replacement.
-Euro IAT to replace obstructive MAF on MAF-less tune
-Bimmergeeks cable ready to code from direct to indirect TPMS and install Bimmerlabs MAF-less high output (25hp gain according to BMW) 3SIM N52 tune.
-Polyurethane upper and spherical lower rear shock mounts.

If you're looking for a sporty yet family friendly manual transmission convertible that also comes with the sound and feel of one of BMW's last great naturally aspirated I6 engines, it doesn't get much better than this.

Located in Kenmore, WA. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images

Last edited by Driven5; 09-18-2023 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 06:02 PM   #2
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Here's the interior pics...
Attached Images

08-25-2023, 12:59 AM   #3
Driven5
Private
Rep