BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

BMW Performance Exhaust

I am sure there are plenty, but just another review...

Ok, I was REAL hesitant to go with this exhaust as I knew it wasnt nearly as loud as some of its competitors.... but that was kind of the draw there... I wanted something that sounded sporty and not overwhelming, or obnoxious.

All I can say is no video of the exhaust that I've seen doesnt do it justice...

At first pulling it off the lift etc, it sounded like it had grunt but wasnt super impressed... and I felt the same way until I just stomped on it, at which point in time it came alive... but like others have said, in an exotic car kinda sound. Not that I've ever been in one, but sounded like a larger displacement ferrari, grunt down low, higher note up top (not 355 or 360)... It really is quite a thing of beauty...

Anyone who is looking for something very tuned and sporty exhaust, but doesnt want to attract attention (you know who I am talking about ex honda guys ;-) I strongly consider at least trying to hear it in person before you make a decision. Its very classy, and very clean. (need to put in the usual disclaimer, its not going to net hp yields others claim, but then when your HP goals are met with JB3 alone, who cares?)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Glad to hear that you enjoy it!
      09-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

I really like the tips on the stock muffler much better. I usually don't like black exhaust tips, but they just work.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
I am sure there are plenty, but just another review...

Ok, I was REAL hesitant to go with this exhaust as I knew it wasnt nearly as loud as some of its competitors.... but that was kind of the draw there... I wanted something that sounded sporty and not overwhelming, or obnoxious.

All I can say is no video of the exhaust that I've seen doesnt do it justice...

At first pulling it off the lift etc, it sounded like it had grunt but wasnt super impressed... and I felt the same way until I just stomped on it, at which point in time it came alive... but like others have said, in an exotic car kinda sound. Not that I've ever been in one, but sounded like a larger displacement ferrari, grunt down low, higher note up top (not 355 or 360)... It really is quite a thing of beauty...

Anyone who is looking for something very tuned and sporty exhaust, but doesnt want to attract attention (you know who I am talking about ex honda guys ;-) I strongly consider at least trying to hear it in person before you make a decision. Its very classy, and very clean. (need to put in the usual disclaimer, its not going to net hp yields others claim, but then when your HP goals are met with JB3 alone, who cares?)
I love mine too. I have noticed it pulls better and a little earlier in the rev band and a bit more of an agresasive "kick" when the turbos kick in in 1st gear. Also, it seems to pull a little harder from 5000 - 7000 rpm, especially in the first 3 gears. I also have an ITG foam replacement panel air filter, so together I think these have helped. I didn't notice the full gain till I have done about 200 miles after fitting them, so maybe the ECU adapted a bit too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

You know I cant say I wasnt worried about the tips however seeing them in person on my car... I'd say the chrome tips seem to be more fitting. Not rounded edges and stealthy, its very raw, cut pipe... I dont know... I'd almost rather not have tips, and have quality pipe itself coming out (which is what the new exhaust appears to have)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Same exact response as you.

More than impressed with the sound quality and can't believe how good the tips look. Gives the car a much sportier and "old school" european look. Reminded me of my E36 M3 with the plastic diffuser, can't wait to see how my CF one looks.
Appreciate 0