BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #23
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocinek View Post
I believe the floaty feeling is the bad spring/shock combo from the factory along with weak swaybars. But don't forget the rear subframe bushings that are made of weak material. They unsettle the rear even more and this is what eventually causes subframe failure and tearing metal that requires costly welding. I have a sick feeling that BMW is following their same old failing points since before the E30's. Control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings, subframe bushings all around, this forum should be interesting once we all hit 50-70k and shit blows up.
just upgrade to the m3 bushings so you wont have that issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
Is this still a problem with the 135i's being produced at the moment? I'm purchasing a 135i in about two months and I want to know the possible solution, cheap and easy if possible, to this "pogo" hopping problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
it's funny that no one has yet mentioned the BMW Performance suspension.

This was my first major upgrade, and like others have said, this is the suspension that should've been on the car from the factory.

I was at Summit Point Raceway this past Friday with a friend of mine that recently got an '09 135. He hasn't done any mods yet, so his car is still stock.

The difference between our cars in the twisties was ridiculous. He kept trying to convince me that we should switch cars, just so I could remember what my car used to feel like. I told him watching him disappear in my rearview was all the reminder I needed.

If you are looking for a great "install-it-and-forget-it" suspension upgrade, the BMW performance suspension is it. Plus, you can't beat keeping your warranty intact. If you want a second opinion on this, PM adc. Riding in my car with the BMW PS has given him second thoughts on getting an M3.
I sent you a PM. Interesting, who did the install? I was out with my totally stock car on the Jefferson, we had a beginner school on the Jefferson. I had quite a bit of time on the skid pad in the morning before the students came over to the skid pad. This might be something I want to do when the car goes in for its 15K mile.

For comparison, another skid pad instructor brought out his also stock 335 coupe, and we got to compare them on the skid pad. In the early afternoon we had a couple instructor sessions on the track. He and I started out together to compare the cars. I will post the results in another thread.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #26
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
He and I started out together to compare the cars. I will post the results in another thread.
Would you mind posting the link please?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Would you mind posting the link please?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248804

I did not mention we probably have run together over 100 days head-to-head and don't cut each other any slack. The 135 was probably 2-3 seconds a lap faster on the little Jefferson Circuit. After the session we were chatting and he remarked to me something like, 'One thing clear to me is that we did not buy track cars.' I thought, speak for yourself. Two moderately prepared 996s and one 997 passed me. I suspect the answer would have been different with RA1s or Hoos or even PS2s combined with the performance suspension mentioned in this thread without any unreliability modification to the engine.

And I averaged 28.6mpg on the two and a half hour drive out at 0500 and 31.2mpg on the way back (drove slower, no time deadline).

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248804

I did not mention we probably have run together over 100 days head-to-head and don't cut each other any slack. The 135 was probably 2-3 seconds a lap faster on the little Jefferson Circuit. After the session we were chatting and he remarked to me something like, 'One thing clear to me is that we did not buy track cars.' I thought, speak for yourself. Two moderately prepared 996s and one 997 passed me. I suspect the answer would have been different with RA1s or Hoos or even PS2s combined with the performance suspension mentioned in this thread without any unreliability modification to the engine.

And I averaged 28.6mpg on the two and a half hour drive out at 0500 and 31.2mpg on the way back (drove slower, no time deadline).
Sweet, thanks.

I'm still inclined to go the M3 route, but the weight! And the fuel consumption!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
Is the BMW PS an option when purchasing the 135i? It doesn't even show up in the "build your BMW" thing. Is the only way to purchase it once you have ordered the car? You can't purchase the car with it as an option like all the other Performance Parts?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #30
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

I think it's a spring issue, I noticed it the second I drove it, the front end would lift under acceleration and dive under deceleration and braking, Bilstein PSS10 fixed it. Was like boating, even my wife's 335xi coupe is more taught feeling, the the 135i even with sports package is way to soft. My two cents.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #31
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The RFT's coupled with the shorter wheelbase is most of the problem!!!

I have driven many 128's, 135's, 328's, & 335's that all seem to come w/RFT's...

The last 335i I drove had non runflat Pilot Sports, and that car was dialed, and felt way more direct, and connected accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #32
ohlarikd
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vaporware BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec693 View Post
Is the BMW PS an option when purchasing the 135i? It doesn't even show up in the "build your BMW" thing. Is the only way to purchase it once you have ordered the car? You can't purchase the car with it as an option like all the other Performance Parts?
(EDIT 2) So I see now - the BMW Performance Suspension is available on a 3-series in the 'Accessories' tab, which means its dealer installed and still will cost labor. The 1-series does not show it under accessories on 'Build-your-Own', but its clearly available from the BMW Performance website, and from United.

---------

I am wondering the same. The 3-series coupe can be ordered with the BMW Performance Suspension for $1167, the same one that can be ordered for a retrofit. However, the 135i cannot be ordered that way, and you have to spend $$ for 11 hours labor for the warranty-backed install.

Edit: Installed Price: $2,773.50 (max)

With my luck, as soon as I install it, BMW will make it an official option.

Last edited by ohlarikd; 04-13-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #33
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlarikd View Post
Edit: Installed Price: $2,773.50 (max)
HOLY COW!

Did you call and get quoted that price?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #34
ohlarikd
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vaporware BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
HOLY COW!

Did you call and get quoted that price?
Not exactly, I used the online shopping cart for an install at my local dealer. Actually, online prices are the same for all dealers, so it is probably a BMW corporate figure. That is why I said max.

I got a real quote at the dealer for (initially) $2306 installed. Then I asked does that include springs... no. So at $320 and you are close to maximum price again...

What price have you seen installed with tax?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Not exactly, I used the online shopping cart for an install at my local dealer. Actually, online prices are the same for all dealers, so it is probably a BMW corporate figure. That is why I said max.

I got a real quote at the dealer for (initially) $2306 installed. Then I asked does that include springs... no. So at $320 and you are close to maximum price again...

Your price is the first I've seen, and it's about what I expected. I figured parts roughly = labor in this case. I think I'm going into my dealer this weekend to check out X3's with my girlfriend - I'll get a quote then.

I will definitely be installing the BMW PS myself though. I'll look forward to the opportunity to get to know my car better. The dealer told me parts would be covered no matter who installs it, and at first I thought it'd be good to have the dealer do it so that labor would be covered too. But what I've come to realize is, I can do it myself for free, and if I do need help down the road, I can take it into the dealer and pay for a portion of it then. I doubt I would need the dealer to look at it at all, but if it comes to that, it will probably only be one or two corners tops. That's still going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than having them install the whole thing to start off with. I just can't justify spending $2500 for suspension!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #36
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Here's one fix:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4929827
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Quote:

You could probably get a better deal if you ask the dealer. I was able to get the PS with springs and the install, along with the install and programing of the alarm all for $2000. This is with a crappy dollar/euro exchange rate.
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0