BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

KW V2 Review - Questions, Concerns & Pics

After doing lots of research I decided to pick up my KW V2's from Gravity Autosport two weeks ago. There were some issues with shipping and after some headaches I finally got the product via Fedex Home Delivery (never again )

Upon arriving, I had the coils installed the same day by a local BMW tuning shop for a little bit too much money, but I was in a hurry so I didn't really have time to shop around. Upon picking up the car I noticed the problem that everyone had been complaining about. I asked the shop's mechanic to lower the car about 2" front and rear, and it turns out the rear would only go down about an inch...so I have this stupid looking rake going on.

Now, I find this completely unacceptable. I don't understand why KW didn't use shorter springs in the rear. I am having a hard time telling the difference between stock in the rear and full low on the KW's. I have a feeling they used the exact same springs that are on the 3 series cars, and because of the extra weight they actually go a bit lower. I am very unhappy with the aesthetic effect of these coils, I don't feel like they spent the time designing the rears correctly to suit the 1er's needs.

The ride, however, is amazing. It is better than stock in every way. The car is just as smooth and soft over bumps, but it has less body roll and more turn in and road feel. The car should have felt like this from the factory. BMW's engineers could learn a few things from KW. For those of you looking for an aggressive track setup, these coils are not for you at all. If you are looking for a daily setup that lowers the car looks aggressive, these coils are not for you. If you are looking to ride at near stock height and handle better on the streets and maybe the occasional track day...then yes these coils are for you.

I will be contacting KW or Gravity Autosport to figure out what I can do to fix the rear. I am not happy at all with how the rear springs and adjusters work together, and I will be either ordering new ones from HP Autowerks (they have their own rear adjuster with custom Swift springs) or hopefully getting some sort of answer or replacement from KW themselves, because this just isn't right.

Like I said, the rear is as low as it will go. The front could go about 2.5 inches lower and sit on the ground.

EDIT: Since the install, I found by talking to KW's tech support that it was an install error, which they say if very common with this application. The photos in the instructions aren't very helpful...so to those of you who are having this same issue, check your installation and make sure that the metal cup has been removed.

Last edited by amsfoto; 04-21-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Umm, sounds like something went wrong with your install because there is no way that's as low as they go. I've got v3's on my car and they are significantly lower than that and still have room to go. Now I know it's a different set up, but I don't think that would make that much of a difference in this case. Also others around here with v2's seem to be quite a bit lower than that.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Umm, sounds like something went wrong with your install because there is no way that's as low as they go. I've got v3's on my car and they are significantly lower than that and still have room to go. Now I know it's a different set up, but I don't think that would make that much of a difference in this case. Also others around here with v2's seem to be quite a bit lower than that.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the install, not only did the shop do the initial install, but I had to redo the rears because they installed them upside down with the adjuster on the bottom. I used KW's instructions word for word...and everything is installed properly. There are a few people on the forums who have the same result in the rear lowering, and some who go lower. So either KW is sending out two springs, or we are all installing them differently.

It says the support disk is no longer used, what does that mean? There are two parts to the other end of the spring, there is the rubber seat, then there is a rubber disk thing with a large "nipple" on it. Which part is not used any longer?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

I have the V2s on my car also. Like you, I bought from Gravity and had excellent service from them with prompt delivery.

My car is lowered about 1.4 inch. I had no problem at all with the rears. In the pic below my rear perch is set about 1/2 way. Meaning I can easily go even lower if I desire.

Have you let your car settle? I installed the entire kit...quickly set the ride height. Then drove it all week. The next weekend I fine tuned the ride height to account for settling and then had it aligned.

Good luck, keep us posted. No complaints about my KWs....great kit so far.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Maybe you didn't remove the stock upper perch thing? I know on mine I did the drivers side first and the stock perch didn't fall out so I installed everything with it in there. Then went I got to the passenger side the stock piece fell out and I was like 'ohhh, that makes more sense'. I went back and fixed the drivers side after that. Could this be the case with you? I would imagine that would add some height.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Hrmm that seems odd because I too am lowered on KW V2s and got a nice rear drop out of it:

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Maybe you didn't remove the stock upper perch thing? I know on mine I did the drivers side first and the stock perch didn't fall out so I installed everything with it in there. Then went I got to the passenger side the stock piece fell out and I was like 'ohhh, that makes more sense'. I went back and fixed the drivers side after that. Could this be the case with you? I would imagine that would add some height.

Good thought. However above the OP indicated they did remove the stock perch and followed KW's instructions to the letter.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

It turns out that when they swapped the springs back around, the perch was down in the lower arm where I couldn't see it. The rubber seat was sitting inside the metal cup. I went back to the shop and the owner fixed it in under an hour and now I'm nice and low.

I do still think that KW needs to include some better pictures with their instructions. I called them and they told me exactly what to do, and that this is a very common issue with the e90 and e82 chassis, the rears are often installed incorrectly. The photos included don't show exactly how things should sit.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Well glad you got it resolved and I agree that the instructions should have been better.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

FIXED! Here's how it SHOULD look.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
FIXED! Here's how it SHOULD look.

yeah I actually have it like that, but I would prefer to raise it about 1/2"... it's lower than my front.. I need to clear curbs and such ahha
      04-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

Went out and took a couple pics with the proper stance....looks AMAZING!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Cool...that's about what my set up is....slammed
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Assume the shop will cover another alignment now that it is lower? Just as an FYI, any change in ride height affects your alignment.

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Assume the shop will cover another alignment now that it is lower? Just as an FYI, any change in ride height affects your alignment.

Looks good!
I haven't had the car aligned yet, I was waiting to have this sorted out before I got aligned.
Appreciate 0