BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Base stereo speaker locations

For those with the base stereo, are the tweeters in the sail panels (mirror pods) or are they elsewhere? I've tried searching and believe it or not cannot find a conclusive answer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

From what I have gathered there are NO tweeters in the sail panels. You will have to purchase the tweeter pods separately. There are only full range 4" mids in the front/rear (4) and two (2) 6.5" subs under each seat. I could be wrong though, hopefully someone with a 2011 base system will chime in and confirm as I will most likely order the base system with mine and upgrade with some nice components.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post
From what I have gathered there are NO tweeters in the sail panels. You will have to purchase the tweeter pods separately. There are only full range 4" mids in the front/rear (4) and two (2) 6.5" subs under each seat. I could be wrong though, hopefully someone with a 2011 base system will chime in and confirm as I will most likely order the base system with mine and upgrade with some nice components.
Yeah my idea is to forget the H/K upgrade and then do a full stereo install, but I am hoping I can at least add in the sail panels without a whole lot of effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Black

Base audio

Having just gutted my 2010 135 base it looks like this. 4" in the doors no tweeters and 4" in the rear deck again no tweeters although there is a location available for them under the grill. And some 6.5" I believe under the seats. All of these speakers once out on a bench look as though they came from Radio Shack and imo sounded that way. The modest amp power is in the HU also pretty weak. There's a lot of good threads here keep reading.

My setup looks like this: Alpine CDA117 HU, JL XD 600/6 and JL XD 600/1 amps, Morel MT23 Tweeters in the door sill and CDM88's in the doors both thru the MX33 Crossover. The rear deck is Morel Tempo 4's with their own crossover and the ADMW9's under the seat. so the front channel out of the HU is split into 4 amp channels with the MT23 and CDM88's on one channel and the ADMW9's on the other. The rear channel is the Tempo 4's and the JL CP108LG-W3v3 ported sub thru the XD600/1. I left the sub behind the passeger seat. The HU has sub controls level, phase and more and the fader balances the front to rear just fine giving me the fill I wanted. All this with its own wiring leaving the stock HU out and stock wires alone. I'm enjoying it more everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter124 View Post
Yeah my idea is to forget the H/K upgrade and then do a full stereo install, but I am hoping I can at least add in the sail panels without a whole lot of effort.
The sails are easy. But doing an upgrade, you'll want to pull new wire through the boots into the doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedclampet View Post
Having just gutted my 2010 135 base it looks like this. 4" in the doors no tweeters and 4" in the rear deck again no tweeters although there is a location available for them under the grill. And some 6.5" I believe under the seats. All of these speakers once out on a bench look as though they came from Radio Shack and imo sounded that way. The modest amp power is in the HU also pretty weak. There's a lot of good threads here keep reading.
That's exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
The sails are easy. But doing an upgrade, you'll want to pull new wire through the boots into the doors.
Thanks VP, I figure they will be fine, was just curious what I was getting myself into. From what I have been reading I really wish you were here in Tampa. You'd have my business in a second.
Appreciate 0