BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Rainbow Germanium Speakers

Does anyone have any experiences with these? I am debating on going with these over MB Quart when the time comes. So far I hear great things but I was curious if anyone here actually uses them.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

I had both in a Honduh Civic a while back, both 5.25" mids. I preferred the sound of the Rainbows over the MB Quarts. The Rainbows were just as detailed but were nowhere near as harsh/fatiguing on the top end. The MB Quarts also lacked quite a bit in the mid/mid-bass area, which I didn't like. Even with a ton of eq'ing I could never get the MB's to sound "right" to me. They were very fatiguing. The Rainbows sounded fuller in the mid-bass region. The entire car was properly deadened/sealed.

These were just my impressions on that particular car. Things change when you move them to a different car, amp, etc. Different models of the same line will tend to sound different also. Take my review with a grain of salt...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Where are you getting these speakers from? Just curious.
      06-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post
I had both in a Honduh Civic a while back, both 5.25" mids. I preferred the sound of the Rainbows over the MB Quarts. The Rainbows were just as detailed but were nowhere near as harsh/fatiguing on the top end. The MB Quarts also lacked quite a bit in the mid/mid-bass area, which I didn't like. Even with a ton of eq'ing I could never get the MB's to sound "right" to me. They were very fatiguing. The Rainbows sounded fuller in the mid-bass region. The entire car was properly deadened/sealed.

These were just my impressions on that particular car. Things change when you move them to a different car, amp, etc. Different models of the same line will tend to sound different also. Take my review with a grain of salt...
Ok cool, that seems to be generally what i am hearing but wanted to verify. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Where are you getting these speakers from? Just curious.
Nowhere picked out yet, just researching currently. My friend put some in his 2009 Tundra and he loves them, which is what got me looking in their direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I have a set of Germs NIB in stock, but they don't make a 4" Rainbow makes a 4" in the Sound Line, Dream Line, then they skip Germanium and go to Profi/Vanadium with a 4".
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I have a set of Germs NIB in stock, but they don't make a 4" Rainbow makes a 4" in the Sound Line, Dream Line, then they skip Germanium and go to Profi/Vanadium with a 4".
Yeah I was just reading about this.
Which would you say is a better brand, Rainbow or Morel?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter124 View Post
Yeah I was just reading about this.
Which would you say is a better brand, Rainbow or Morel?
Hehe.

If I put my marketing hat on, I think they both suck as "brands". No one recognizes either one, and they both have odd connotations.

Rainbow covers a wider range than Morel, and I think they have both higher end speakers and lower-cost speakers. I think they don't have a lot of head to head models in the 4" size.

The Rainbow Profi and the Morel Hybrid Ovation are the closest competitors. The Morel tweeters install easier, where the ProFi tweeters require mod to the sail to fit.

I would consider them equivalent in quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Hehe.

If I put my marketing hat on, I think they both suck as "brands". No one recognizes either one, and they both have odd connotations.

Rainbow covers a wider range than Morel, and I think they have both higher end speakers and lower-cost speakers. I think they don't have a lot of head to head models in the 4" size.

The Rainbow Profi and the Morel Hybrid Ovation are the closest competitors. The Morel tweeters install easier, where the ProFi tweeters require mod to the sail to fit.

I would consider them equivalent in quality.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info! (Oh, and I replied to your PM btw)
Appreciate 0