BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

BMW's strategy with engine output

What do others think about the following possible reasons for the 1M's out-of-the-box power levels of 335/332? The obvious would be to not encroach on the M3, but how about these?
- to help BMW meet CAFE numbers
- to meet corporate CO2 targets
- Smoother power band (not peaky)
- perhaps BMW will offer performance upgrades in the future to unleash more power? (could they offer an aftermarket tune?)... Could result in more aftermarket sales / profits.
- an offering to the tuner market
- maybe the car just doesn't feel nice to drive every day at higher, ultra-tweaked output levels?
- long-term wear and tear
- lower maintenance and servicing costs, with more parts shared with other models.

Are these plausible? Have I missed any?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Well it makes me wonder what the board/senior BMW management were originally driving when they said it wasn't powerful enough?

Did they originally stick in a stock N54?

Was it a case of tuning the handling rather than the engine?

I think I remember Scott saying the had tried the V8 but not sure about the old 3.2 unit.

I was a bit disappointed when the 335/340bhp figure was announced but believe that the package is what matters with the 1M so trust they made the right decision for whatever reasons.

I just hope that my Summer '11 white 335/340bhp 1M doesn't end up being superceded by a Spring '12 377 bhp 1M CSL in blue. I would be furious, especially considering the limit production information.

IMHO it is most likely that it has been restricted so as not to impede on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

I definitily like the thought of a performance upgrade done by bmw itself for avoiding waranty issues. Just like this is the case with the normal 35i
Appreciate 0