BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #287
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canasian View Post
I do hear a lot of stories of you New Yorkers getting tires and wheels destroyed though lawl...
sadly all those stories are true! UGH
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #288
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Argh! Sucks that you forgot the paper. I picked up my 135i last night. It's definitely a treat.
CONGRATS, man!!! you should post your photos for everyone to see! You're having a MUCH better day than i am!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #289
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
unfortunately it will all have to wait til tomorrow. No way for me to get the title today

they're asking for $1200 for the insurance......i'm not sure. Part of me almost NEVER buys extra insurance....but i have to admit i have damaged many wheels and tires on my TT in the past.....so maybe i should get it. Not sure!!

btw, the insurance covers winter wheels/tires as well....which is a big thing, IMO.
Is there any limit to the number of tires and wheels you can claim under the insurance? Be sure to read the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #290
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

Quote:
CONGRATS, man!!! you should post your photos for everyone to see! You're having a MUCH better day than i am!
Thanks. I picked it up last night and really didnt get a chance to nab photos with any light, so I've got very little to show right now. After work I'll have to crack out the camera.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #291
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
unfortunately it will all have to wait til tomorrow. No way for me to get the title today

they're asking for $1200 for the insurance......i'm not sure. Part of me almost NEVER buys extra insurance....but i have to admit i have damaged many wheels and tires on my TT in the past.....so maybe i should get it. Not sure!!

btw, the insurance covers winter wheels/tires as well....which is a big thing, IMO.
Sucks you have to wait. Go drive it though, inspect it, to enjoy it today and save you the time tomorrow. Plus, if there's any lil thing off or wrong they can get it taken care of by tomorrow.

Wondering why my darn wheel and tire insurance quote was more than double that. I've never gotten it in my life in all my years of leasing. I'd check the fine print/exclusions to see what it doesn't cover then. Even at $1200, you'd have to blow through at least 2 tires and 2 rims in 3 years to break even. And if you pay the $1200 you'll almost want to destroy them to feel like you got your money back. I think doing the math, even at $1200 it may not be worth it since if you went through 2 tires and 1 rim or 3 tires for example, you'd still come out ahead NOT getting the insurance and also not forced to go through their procedures and jump through their hoops to deal with getting them replaced. My 2 cents. And I assume it won't cover non runflats if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #292
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Sucks you have to wait. Go drive it though, inspect it, to enjoy it today and save you the time tomorrow. Plus, if there's any lil thing off or wrong they can get it taken care of by tomorrow.

Wondering why my darn wheel and tire insurance quote was more than double that. I've never gotten it in my life in all my years of leasing. I'd check the fine print/exclusions to see what it doesn't cover then. Even at $1200, you'd have to blow through at least 2 tires and 2 rims in 3 years to break even. And if you pay the $1200 you'll almost want to destroy them to feel like you got your money back. I think doing the math, even at $1200 it may not be worth it since if you went through 2 tires and 1 rim or 3 tires for example, you'd still come out ahead NOT getting the insurance and also not forced to go through their procedures and jump through their hoops to deal with getting them replaced. My 2 cents. And I assume it won't cover non runflats if you go that route.
My vote is to skip wheels and tires, but go for the windshield coverage, and possibly the leather coverage. The windshields with the rain sensors in them are stupid expensive, and the leather coverage covers accidents, like your dumb friend's keys ripped your seat or whatnot (if I'm not mistaken)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #293
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
My vote is to skip wheels and tires, but go for the windshield coverage, and possibly the leather coverage. The windshields with the rain sensors in them are stupid expensive, and the leather coverage covers accidents, like your dumb friend's keys ripped your seat or whatnot (if I'm not mistaken)
well i already have windshield insurance through my auto insurance and have NEVER damaged any leather seats before so i'd skip that......BUT i've had plenty of flat tires over the years....well at least 3 or 4.....and a few bent rims BUT ONLY on my SSR wheels for the TT (soft, lightweight wheels)

i'm really confused what direction to take with the tire situation on the 135is. I am leasing the car, so that also plays into the equation. UGH. BMW sucks for creating this situation-----BUT i think i've also been corrupted by all the 'anti-runflat' propaganda on this forum! haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #294
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
well i already have windshield insurance through my auto insurance and have NEVER damaged any leather seats before so i'd skip that......BUT i've had plenty of flat tires over the years....well at least 3 or 4.....and a few bent rims BUT ONLY on my SSR wheels for the TT (soft, lightweight wheels)

i'm really confused what direction to take with the tire situation on the 135is. I am leasing the car, so that also plays into the equation. UGH. BMW sucks for creating this situation-----BUT i think i've also been corrupted by all the 'anti-runflat' propaganda on this forum! haha.
If you ditch the runflats, then there's no point. Makes more sense if you keep them since those tires are a lot more expensive. But I don't know how it works if you blow a tire or damage a rim with the insurance. Are you then forced to go to a BMW dealer for example for the tire? That hassle might be more trouble than it's worth.

I guess the crappy thing on the runflats, at least with respect to the insurance is you have to figure that part out by tomorrow. Hindsight of course will be 20/20 on this. If you get it and never use it, you'll be mad. And if you use it enough to cover the costs, you'll also be mad cause you'll have had that many flat tires and damaged rims.

If you keep the runflats, they don't last very long either, maybe 10-15k miles I think most people seem to get, so you will end up probably buying new tires anyways out of pocket during your lease. All things to consider. I'd tell you that $1200 is better spent buying the michelins. If you keep the runflats and blow one and need to replace it, you'll also be mad because you'd be putting more money and commitment into runflats, too.

I could also say that the runflats are so hard, they're also prone to bubbles on potholes which also increases the likelihood of having to replace them and perhaps bending a rim, whereas it isn't as big of an issue with normal tires.

So, I don't think it's worth it in the end. It's basically the equivalent of you PLANNING to go through 2-3 pairs of rims and tires to break even. And if you don't, you wasted money. Live a lil...take a chance...play the odds!

May the odds be forever in your favor.

You at least stalk it today?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #295
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
If you ditch the runflats, then there's no point. Makes more sense if you keep them since those tires are a lot more expensive. But I don't know how it works if you blow a tire or damage a rim with the insurance. Are you then forced to go to a BMW dealer for example for the tire? That hassle might be more trouble than it's worth.

I guess the crappy thing on the runflats, at least with respect to the insurance is you have to figure that part out by tomorrow. Hindsight of course will be 20/20 on this. If you get it and never use it, you'll be mad. And if you use it enough to cover the costs, you'll also be mad cause you'll have had that many flat tires and damaged rims.

If you keep the runflats, they don't last very long either, maybe 10-15k miles I think most people seem to get, so you will end up probably buying new tires anyways out of pocket during your lease. All things to consider. I'd tell you that $1200 is better spent buying the michelins. If you keep the runflats and blow one and need to replace it, you'll also be mad because you'd be putting more money and commitment into runflats, too.

I could also say that the runflats are so hard, they're also prone to bubbles on potholes which also increases the likelihood of having to replace them and perhaps bending a rim, whereas it isn't as big of an issue with normal tires.

So, I don't think it's worth it in the end. It's basically the equivalent of you PLANNING to go through 2-3 pairs of rims and tires to break even. And if you don't, you wasted money. Live a lil...take a chance...play the odds!

May the odds be forever in your favor.

You at least stalk it today?
haha. thanks for your opinion. much appreciated! I WILL play the odds

so my wife asked me---how many flats have you had in the A3 running on 225/40/18 inch tires over the past 2 years? well i've had ZERO.

so what i'm going to do is keep the runflats for a month or two...switch to winters in November.....and then probably buy some NON-RFTs in the Spring.

i'm not the kind of person who likes buying protection plans, etc.....so i think this plan suits me! THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #296
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
haha. thanks for your opinion. much appreciated! I WILL play the odds

so my wife asked me---how many flats have you had in the A3 running on 225/40/18 inch tires over the past 2 years? well i've had ZERO.

so what i'm going to do is keep the runflats for a month or two...switch to winters in November.....and then probably buy some NON-RFTs in the Spring.

i'm not the kind of person who likes buying protection plans, etc.....so i think this plan suits me! THANKS!
I think on rare occasion it's worth it on protection plans, but usually not.

The other good thing is if you get the michelins, they have a pretty good road hazard you can buy and I think THAT is a much better value. Some shops like America's Tire/Discount Tire (if they exist out there) have slightly better protection plans too that are full replacements for any damage for like $25 a tire. That's the route I went. I'll spend $100 for protection on my $1000 fancy pants tires.

Hard to know the best route to go for you since you have the added variable of winter setups. Depends on whether you decide to KEEP the runflats, store them in a garage or hang on to them for potential lease return down the road or to play it by ear, or if you will sell them on the forum to help offset the cost of non runflats. Tough call there on several fronts, but I'd tell you the improvement is pretty remarkable, especially if you have to drive on crappy streets which may be even worse than LA ones. So, if you're going to get the runflats, I'd say don't wait the 2 months driving on the runflats and give up the chance to drive it over that time with the non runflats you intend to buy in spring anyways. Especially if you plan to keep and store the runflats.

I'd say maximize your driving satisfaction, especially if you plan to buy them anyways. All you'd be out is 2 months wear on the non runflats, but at the expense of having to drive on the harsh ones. But try 'em out, you may decide after a few days of driving on crappy roads that you can't handle it. I actually thought the runflats were fine on decent roads, but when I got on the crappy streets I have to drive to/from work or went over bumpy patches, I was quickly reminded of how jarring they are.

Tomorrow's the day. can't wait to see her in all her glory. And sorry I poisoned your sales guy. I just don't like him giving out misinformation...he had to pay. O=|
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #297
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Hard to know the best route to go for you since you have the added variable of winter setups. Depends on whether you decide to KEEP the runflats, store them in a garage or hang on to them for potential lease return down the road or to play it by ear, or if you will sell them on the forum to help offset the cost of non runflats.
Hey IEDEI (and btw, I have not figured out this acronym yet!)
Seeing as how you live in NYC, I'm guessing you have about an acre of land with an extra five-car garage on it, so no problem finding extra space to store sets of tires, right?

Now, hurry up and get on out to that dealer in the a.m. so us left-coasters can wake up to the beautiful sight of your new 135is. OH and hey, don't forget that A3 title -- or else we may drop you for good
Enjoy the adventure tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #298
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Hey IEDEI (and btw, I have not figured out this acronym yet!)
Seeing as how you live in NYC, I'm guessing you have about an acre of land with an extra five-car garage on it, so no problem finding extra space to store sets of tires, right?

Now, hurry up and get on out to that dealer in the a.m. so us left-coasters can wake up to the beautiful sight of your new 135is. OH and hey, don't forget that A3 title -- or else we may drop you for good
Enjoy the adventure tomorrow!

haha...seriously so in the basement of our apartment building my wife and i have rented a little tiny storage cage where HALF of the cage is occupied by my winter (or summer, depending on season) wheels and tires. I'm not sure HOW i am going to keep the RFTs in storage or if they will even fit...unless i find someone else who i can store them with during my lease period.

I have the A3 title in hand!!! let's hope i don't lose it! LOL!

my appointment is for a 4pm pick up....i do have a job yknow!

i'm afraid if i don't pick it up tomorrow, they'll put it on a boat BACK to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #299
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
haha...seriously so in the basement of our apartment building my wife and i have rented a little tiny storage cage where HALF of the cage is occupied by my winter (or summer, depending on season) wheels and tires. I'm not sure HOW i am going to keep the RFTs in storage or if they will even fit...unless i find someone else who i can store them with during my lease period.

I have the A3 title in hand!!! let's hope i don't lose it! LOL!

my appointment is for a 4pm pick up....i do have a job yknow!

i'm afraid if i don't pick it up tomorrow, they'll put it on a boat BACK to Germany.
Why am I envisioning you camping out in a tent outside the dealership tonight? With 10 duplicate copies of the A3 title just in case.

Don't forget your checkbook either! And spare A3 key!

Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose you could just find your car on the lot, break back into it, put the back seats down, and camp out overnight sleeping in your new car. Aha! =P
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #300
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Why am I envisioning you camping out in a tent outside the dealership tonight? With 10 duplicate copies of the A3 title just in case.

Don't forget your checkbook either! And spare A3 key!

Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose you could just find your car on the lot, break back into it, put the back seats down, and camp out overnight sleeping in your new car. Aha! =P
OMG the spare key!!! LOL. thank you.

*slaps himself on the forehead*

lol @ sleeping in the car. imagine when they go to prep it and they find a man covered in photocopied titles!?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #301
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
OMG the spare key!!! LOL. thank you.

*slaps himself on the forehead*

lol @ sleeping in the car. imagine when they go to prep it and they find a man covered in photocopied titles!?
Hmm, sounds like you're going to be paying for my trunk mat thingy then, eh? =) Worth a shot. I'll at least let you know what I think about it since I know you're considering it as I'm about to open it but probably won't put in my car til Thursday or Friday night (want to vacuum any lil grain of dirt/sand out first.

Make sure you have any wheel locks, manuals, etc. for the A3, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #302
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Hmm, sounds like you're going to be paying for my trunk mat thingy then, eh? =) Worth a shot. I'll at least let you know what I think about it since I know you're considering it as I'm about to open it but probably won't put in my car til Thursday or Friday night (want to vacuum any lil grain of dirt/sand out first.

Make sure you have any wheel locks, manuals, etc. for the A3, too.
yeah, i've ordered you a trunk mat. here it is!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #303
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i've ordered you a trunk mat. here it is!

Ooh, that'll give it that zen, spa-like feel we've all been searching for. Groceries and luggage might slide around on it a bit, but oh well. I should put a couple of lil bonzai trees on each side and perhaps a koi pond and bridge to really finish the trunk off.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #304
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Ooh, that'll give it that zen, spa-like feel we've all been searching for. Groceries and luggage might slide around on it a bit, but oh well. I should put a couple of lil bonzai trees on each side and perhaps a koi pond and bridge to really finish the trunk off.
just don't transport any large ceramic sculptures in the trunk!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #305
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
just don't transport any large ceramic sculptures in the trunk!
But dead hookers are still okay, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #306
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
hey my money had nothing to do with that! i only bought the mat!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #307
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
LOL!

Good luck tomorrow, I can't wait to see pics! All I can do right now is live vicariously through your guys's deliveries hehe
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #308
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
LOL!

Good luck tomorrow, I can't wait to see pics! All I can do right now is live vicariously through your guys's deliveries hehe
if i don't get my car tomorrow.....what i MAY end up doing is rebadging my A3 has a 135is and adding a kidney grille on top of the audi grille---WORST CASE SCENARIO!
Appreciate 0