BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #375
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 93 WRX;98 Forrester;05 LGT

I could give a shit whether the 1 is a manny or DCT. I just want it at a reasonable price. To the asshats preaching manny only, grow up and realize that not everyone can shift, and to those crying for a DCT, learn to shift. POINT BLANK...Don't make up excuses about city traffic.blah blah blah ..It doesn't matter what tranny this thing comes with, because it could possibly be the car BMW has been needing very badly to reestablish itself as a driver's car. Its ridiculous to bicker about the tranny. M3????overrated...so this is what BMW needs. Cause anyone could by a Mustangs Boss for 38K...Now what!!!Fit, finish, and quality are non subjective, because no one under 60 could really give a shit about those..So please, if anything, make the 1M about 45K...Thank you..Off the soap box...oh yeah..manny's rock!!!
      08-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #376
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
The M3 that won the 24hr Nurburgring wasn't an M3. It was an M3 GT2 built by M.

Give me a shout if cryptic isn't your bag, baby.
with a SMG-type gearbox

You know what, If it only comes in manual, I still might get it (85.9 % sure), and keep the Lexus IS as a daily driver...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #377
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm only going to say this once: No Personal attacks in here. Thanks guys.
      08-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #378
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
with a SMG-type gearbox
haha

---------

End of the day we all want the same thing, a cracking little daily driver from M! Same team, same team
      08-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #379
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz888 View Post
Hey Guys. Been watching from the Sidelines for a while!! Great site.

Unfortunately, the NO DCT news is extremely disappointing!
If this is true I WILL CANCEL MY ORDER and refund deposit!

I've owned many cars over the years from S2000, WRXs to Audi R8's and 2 M3s. I spend at least one weekend a month club racing.

The 1M was going to be my club racer. BMW has been promoting it as such, time and time again. However, they NOW decide that Club Racers don't need DCT and the M in motorsport is for Manual only.

Well, let's be honest, when they released the first SMG M3 many years ago the marketing pitch was "SMG = Best for Track" Blah Blah Blah

Now with the 1M they decide a "Club Racer" doesn't warrant an Sequential gearbox.

Just goes to show BMW really don't care about their market. They will change their argument and marketing to suit. It's all about the $$$.

The poll above shows that about 20-30% of the users of this site will cancel their order if there is NO DCT. I suspect this proportion will be even higher out there in the "NON ENTHUSIAST" market.

So, if BMW are happy to lose 30-50% off the initial orders, then good for them!

NO DCT mean's I'm out. The 1M could have been AWESOME. But, now it seems it's just a rush job and they are taking some shortcuts.

Sad.
Non enthusiast market? That works well for us! There simply wont be enough of these anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #380
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

For those that want to really FEEL, you need the 6MT.
Besides, NO autotrajic = less issues down the road
And for those that don't want to deal with stop and go traffic, get a beater car with an auto and leave your 1M in the garage. If I am fortunate enough to be able to aquire one, I will be driving my Toyota to work. This car is meant to be more of a collectable anyway, not a DD.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #381
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
This car is meant to be more of a collectable anyway, not a DD.
Forget that, I'm planning on enjoying this thing every day!
      08-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #382
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Forget that, I'm planning on enjoying this thing every day!
I plan on enjoying it as much as possible also seeing as I only work 10 days a month, but I just can't see myself leaving the car outdoors overnight since I work 24hrs at a time. Believe me, it WILL be driven, and HARD. If I have my wish, I will drive it on the Ring before I ship it home. I did that with my 335 and had a blast!

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #383
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Think they'll release specs when they release the body?

edit: I don't understand these people who will not buy the car if it's not offered in auto. As if the most important thing, and only selling point, about the car is its transmission?? I can't for the life of me imagine people who drive stick saying, "I won't buy any Ferrari's because they only come in automatic!!!". Don't get me wrong, I've only ever driven stick, and am really pissed to see the majority of high-end manufacturers only offering auto now... but I would never turn down a car simply because it was only available with one style of transmission. If I could get a Veyron I would never say "no thanks it doesn't come in stick.. not interested". You buy a car for the car and all it has to offer, not for its transmission. I can understand people who don't know how to drive stick, but seriously if they wanted the car as badly as they make it sound like they do, learning to drive stick shouldn't be an obstacle.

I'm glad BMW is making this car stick-only, it'll really keep the non-purist drivers out. I've been fed-up to hell with the # of people who prefer auto over manual because it's affecting my ability to find cars in stick anymore. Thank god for this.

Last edited by jpuff; 08-29-2010 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #384
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

manual only is great news to me! now maybe i'll actually be able to get one that isn't marked up way over the sticker price. and i don't know why people are so shocked that BMW would only offer one transmission. they did it with the Z4M coupe and roadster. it's not like BMW is counting on the sales of this car to keep the company alive. however, we don't even have facts yet. let's wait till we have more than an "inside source" before this turns into a big 6MT vs. DCT thread

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #385
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen-Dazs View Post
The M3's V8 must have more torque than the I6 that they should use so. Even if it did have more torque, they would come up with a way for it to handle it. The 911 Turbo S has got PDK and it can take 700nm, the Veyron's box holds 1300nm, so i think that's not it.
The 1M's I6 most certainly has more torque than the M3's V8. That being said, I doubt that torque is the reason for not offering DCT.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #386
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Let's stop wasting bandwidth on the transmission,
If the reason BMW gives for not including DCT is cost and development time, and that this car will only have a 2 year shelf life, what do you think that means in terms of everything else, especially the engine???

I think the hype will far exceed what gets delivered. This is quick and dirty product development job. The marketing guys will take it from here.

It's clear that the goals for the 1M were very limited as will probably be the production run. What disappoints me most is that everything being revealed shows me how limited BMW's commitment to this car is.

I don't think that's seomething to cheer about.
      08-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #387
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

I think BMW M decided to offer the 1M Coupe just in 6MT so the DCT 1M wouldn't threat or be close to the 6MT E9X M3's performance. I may be wrong though!
      08-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #388
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

looking forward to seeing the whole thing.
      08-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #389
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The 1M's I6 most certainly has more torque than the M3's V8. That being said, I doubt that torque is the reason for not offering DCT.

Best regards,
south
You're correct. I only saw now that the M3's V8 only gets 400nm, and the 35i engine allready does that so, with a tune it will do more.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #390
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Isn't the N54 with overboost feature available with the Z4 S Drive35is?? My vote for the 6MT only is development time and cost, just as stated by BMW. I do hope that the extensive discussion on this forum, and others gives the leadership at BMW a cause to offer both transmissions in this car. That being said, I drove a 2011 335i with 6MT and BMW performance SSK, and it was a wonderful drive, even in traffic! Can not wait to and DRIVE the 1 M coupe to see if this will be my next car!!!
      08-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #391
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77 View Post
I could give a shit whether the 1 is a manny or DCT. I just want it at a reasonable price. To the asshats preaching manny only, grow up and realize that not everyone can shift, and to those crying for a DCT, learn to shift. POINT BLANK...Don't make up excuses about city traffic.blah blah blah ..It doesn't matter what tranny this thing comes with, because it could possibly be the car BMW has been needing very badly to reestablish itself as a driver's car. Its ridiculous to bicker about the tranny. M3????overrated...so this is what BMW needs. Cause anyone could by a Mustangs Boss for 38K...Now what!!!Fit, finish, and quality are non subjective, because no one under 60 could really give a shit about those..So please, if anything, make the 1M about 45K...Thank you..Off the soap box...oh yeah..manny's rock!!!
Yea, my 135i clutch is so easy to operate you can hold it to the floor with the weight of your leg. I'm pretty sure it was designed so 90 year old grannies could drive it. I laugh when I see people complaining about it. The clutchmaster twin disc in my S4 is another story. That's the car I don't want to drive in traffic.

I agree people should have choices and not be judged.. but at least used 6 speed 1M's will be easier to find for people who will own them out of warranty. Replacing the clutch on a 6 speed is MUCH cheaper than replacing worn clutches in a DCT tranny. Think of it as taking one for the team.

Maybe 6 speed only is an incentive for people to step up to the M3.
      08-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #392
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen-Dazs View Post
You're correct. I only saw now that the M3's V8 only gets 400nm, and the 35i engine allready does that so, with a tune it will do more.
I looked up the M-DCT gearbox supplied by Getrag, and -- as we both figured -- torque wouldn't be an issue. It can handle up to 600NM, way more than the 1M engine will have:

http://www.getrag.de/en/252
http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_lucky_number_seven/

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #393
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I looked up the M-DCT gearbox supplied by Getrag, and -- as we both figured -- torque wouldn't be an issue. It can handle up to 600NM, way more than the 1M engine will have:

http://www.getrag.de/en/252
http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_lucky_number_seven/

Best regards,
south
Exactly, so there must be due to something else. Just a hunch, but isn't this car suppose to be litte and nimble like a previous M3 (can't remember the chassis code)? In that car there was no AT so maybe they are trying to bring as much from that same vehicle as they possibly can. Just throwing a possiblity on the table.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #394
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Let's stop wasting bandwidth on the transmission,
If the reason BMW gives for not including DCT is cost and development time, and that this car will only have a 2 year shelf life, what do you think that means in terms of everything else, especially the engine???

I think the hype will far exceed what gets delivered. This is quick and dirty product development job. The marketing guys will take it from here.

It's clear that the goals for the 1M were very limited as will probably be the production run. What disappoints me most is that everything being revealed shows me how limited BMW's commitment to this car is.

I don't think that's seomething to cheer about.
+1. When details about this car started trickling in, I got really excited, but some of the details that have been released within the last few days have been troubling. I hope am wrong, but it looks like they are cutting a lot of corners to quickly bring this car to market-- I guess a good test drive will answer that question

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #395
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

So exactly when's the full reveal??
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #396
niuniu