BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
I did some research.

I'd like to get these for summer & autocross: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package

But these would be more practical, you know, i case I get a flat tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I know and agree that i'd lose a bit of performance with the run flat but I need to consider that I may do 2 or 3 autocross events at the most in a summer, so the trade off might make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Ah yes, the big old intimidation factor. Well done.

Anyways, I had to chime in because you're offering terrible advice. Yes, OP said he would "ideally" prefer a RFT tire, but IMO he'd still be very disappointed.

For reference, I've driven close to 15,000 on my Z4M and 30,000 miles on my 128i without runflat tires. Multiple trips excess of 600 + miles there and back with nothing.

RFT tires will make the car feel numb, and kill any handing characteristic of the car. High performance or not the sidewall has no flex in it, which is one of the major components of a tire. But I don't know anything and have never done this before...
Looks like the OP's still interested in run flats. They make them and sell them because people buy them. Why? Because they work. They may not offer all the performance of non run flats, but they do their job. It's his choice, let him make it!

I never told the OP to buy run flats, so you're wrong when you (Kgolf) say I offered him terrible advice. I stated what I own and my experiences with them. I corrected you (Kgolf) when you said "Runflat high performance tires are not possible," because technically, they are. They sell them, even if they're not as good as non run flats, they still sell them, so they do exist.

Lookit, I know most people on this forum don't like run flats and to each their own. I like them and obviously, the OP likes them as well. Even after most of this discussion, he's still interested in them. I get it that you don't like them. I think the OP gets it too.

I've said my piece. I've made my point clear. I'm going to move on now and not continue in the derailment of this thread any longer.

Last edited by Esteban; 04-20-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #24
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
I know and agree that i'd lose a bit of performance with the run flat but I need to consider that I may do 2 or 3 autocross events at the most in a summer, so the trade off might make sense.
that's basically where I am.

I have conceded that I will not be competitive in my class on RFTs. (Although I did score a 3rd place out of 8 cars during one event).

I'm personally focusing on getting driving time and techniques right now. for me the important thing is that every day I race, I improve from first run to last run.

So really, if you stay with runflats you' can find an "ok" tire it just wont be a great tire for AutoX.

Someone can correct me, but I believe it has to do with how a runflat tire's sidewall flexes under hard cornering. it just doesn't behave like a non runflat does. this is the biggest difference and the reason why non-run flats don't work as well as runflats when it comes to track use.
      04-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
onefastsvt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Nitto NT05's seem to do well on the road course tracks if you don't want an R compound tire. I was also impressed with the Pirelli P zero's on laguna secca in a heavy mustang. They were not race tires but very predictable and were more sticky than I would have thought.
Appreciate 0