BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2008, 03:17 AM   #23
myfirst1
Rep
Drives:

While I wish I could say that I will wash my car every other day, it will most likely be washed once or twice a week. I ordered JB, but am seriously considering switching to sparkling graphite. Since I live in a dry climate it is mostly dust and dirt that I am worried about. Anyone have any experience with black vs. graphite?

Nice pics by the way. Nothing beats a freshly waxed black beauty!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #24
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I love the look of a dark & handsome car, and I went with SGM over JB for precisely this reason.

I'd say it's midway between JB and TiAg in its ability to look crisp and gleaming despite a little road grunge. (Noting beats silver for disguising dirt.)

The SGM looks really dark in some light, but it also has the knack of catching the light and flashing almost silver. The "action" in the paint may be why it disguises dirt better than a monotone JB.
Attached Images

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #25
RoughneckSeven
5 Minute Friend
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i and 06' X3

Silver Side Up...

Mine is Titanium Silver Metallic...matches my X3.

1. As for how to protect your Jet Black paint. Kick anyones ass you catch scratching "wash me" in the dirt and road grime. Keep her clean.

2. Buy Silver next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #26
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

It's all about the preventative maintenance.

The first thing I did on both 1ers was...

Full wash with Zaino
Full wax with Zaino
RainX all windows
Wax the wheels

... then do it one more time few days later.

Why? You'll notice:

1. the water just beads off the car EVERYWHERE (well, except the soft top)
2. You don't get ANY water marks after a rain storm, except a small bit near the lower door sills, which is fine
3. It's freaking easy to clean the wheels

#2 makes it look like it's freshly washed after a nice rain. All you'd have to do is wipe the wheels a bit because the brake dust would accumulate on wet wheels quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

If you can't enjoy it when it's clean and tolerate it when it's dirty, maybe black isn't for you.

I don't stress when it needs a wash/wax.. I do it when I feel like it and when I have time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #28
zanyviper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Loving JB

loved it when I first saw it. love it 3 months later. I have had 3M applied to the whole front hood, lower front, rocker panels, and front sides. It's hard to keep clean but I love washing it and keeping it detailed. For me it's as much fun doing that as it is admiring it and driving it. If I had a car that was clean all the time and required no work I don't think I would appreciate it's beauty as much. Anyway good luck all......
Perf steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #29
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsd85 View Post
I've always wanted a black car, but I'm deterred by the fact that it might be a maintainance nighmare. I hear horror stories about the swirl effect that shows up after awhile and how owners of these beauties have to go to the car wash at least once weekly.

Does anyone regret getting jet black so far? How often do you guys wash your car and what else do you go through to keep your car looking beautiful/swirl free?

Silver would be my next choice, and I think it looks both classy and sporty at the same time while being the easiest to keep clean. But then again the car I've had for the past 5 years is silver and I kind of would like the change.
If you get black you better ALWAYS wash your car at home with the best soap and supplies. It will require the utmost care.
Silver is VERY easy to take care of. My current car is black,,,NEVER AGAIN, PERIOD. The 3 cars b4 this one were the same silver, so no silver for me again. My truck b4 these 4 cars was grey, so no grey car for me.

ALPINE IS MY ONLY CHOICE. And it RULES. :w00t::thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
Vancity1
Private
Rep
Drives:

I love my Jet Black, it's not an everyday driver for me though, my 1 is strictly a weekend/roadtrip ride so black's perfect since washing it is all part of the joy for me.

I wash it then I get to love driving it!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #31
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Like one of the above posters, I have owned one black car...never again. They are too much of a pain to keep clean. I think the two easiest colors to maintain were a pewter corvette and an alpine blue RX-7. The grey (lighter grey) colors are the easiest. White is nice as it doesn't show swirls easily and as long as someone doesn't put a finger on it or something it hides dirt fairly well too.
Appreciate 0