BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #23
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Had leatherette in a '98 Audi A4 and loved it- stuff was comfortable and held up great. I'd order it again if it came to trying decide between options I must have vs things that are nice but myeh,-no-diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #24
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Let's say a company came up with a new method of tanning leather that made the leather never crack, never fade, never show wear, and never require any maintenance or special cleaning. On top of that, it would weigh less and be harder to cut, rip, or scratch than regular leather. Just for argument's sake, I'll name this mythical new leather product Leather-IT (short for Improved Technology).

Leather-IT would be considered a major upgrade in seat covering over just plain leather, as it would solve all the traditional problems of leather while still being leather. Leather-IT would be a premium upgrade that would cost a extra 600-800 dollars, and plenty of customers would happily pay for it because of all of it's benefits over standard leather. Leather-IT would soon be available in every top performance car, and every top luxury vehicle.

The used car market would pan on cars with just regular old leather. Used cars with Leather-IT would bring top dollar, because it will look better in the typical 4+ year-old used car with 50K+ miles that has been a family car abused by children.

Over time, customer demand for Leather-IT as a standard feature would push out regular old leather as the price difference between them narrowed. Some hold-out customers would claim they could tell the difference between old leather and Leather-IT because of the smell, or because they long for the comforting familiar look of worn leather. They will romanticize the good-old days of conditioning their leather the way classic car owners talk about polishing the good ol' chrome on their 1950's chrome-encrusted trailer queens. Few people would take them seriously.

But instead of a leather-based product like Leather-IT, we have a vinyl-based product instead. So even though leatherette has all the same advantages over leather that Leather-IT would have, people turn their nose up at it just because it is made of vinyl.

I guess I'm way to practical, because it doesn't make sense to me now that I've actually put 100K+ miles onto a set of leatherette seats. I had a seat heater go out at 95K miles, and when I replaced it and put a new cover on just the bottom half of the seat. I was really worried that the new part of the light beige seat would stick out like a sore thumb. Instead I was amazed to see that the rest of my seat panels still perfectly matched the light beige of the brand new section. There is no way to tell the difference between the old and the new! That wouldn't be typical of the average leather seat with 95K miles on them. I was very impressed, since I've never done anything more to clean the seats then to wipe spilled food off of them with water and a napkin.

Now there is no going back for me. In my eyes, I have the Improved Technology Leather-IT seats that are the upgrade from regular old leather. The fact that they are made from a vinyl base instead of leather doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by Nixon; 08-10-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #25
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
Something free from BMW? Oh hell no. I meant that I'm surprized they didn't bundle in the leather with the sports package...which means you'd have to pay more for the package.
Thanks for clarifying that--you had me worried for a moment.
      07-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Let's say a company came up with a new method of tanning leather that made the leather never crack, never fade, never show wear, and never require any maintenance or special cleaning. On top of that, it would weigh less and be harder to cut, rip, or scratch than regular leather. Just for argument's sake, I'll name this mythical new leather product Leather-IT (short for Improved Technology).

Leather-IT would be considered a major upgrade in seat covering over just plain leather, as it would solve all the traditional problems of leather while still being leather. Leather-IT would be a premium upgrade that would cost a extra 600-800 dollars, and plenty of customers would happily pay for it because of all of it's benefits over standard leather. Leather-IT would soon be available in every top performance car, and every top luxury vehicle.

The used car market would pan on cars with just regular old leather. Used cars with Leather-IT would bring top dollar, because it will look better in the typical 4+ year-old used car with 50K+ miles that has been a family car abused by children.

Over time, customer demand for Leather-IT as a standard feature would push out regular old leather as the price difference between them narrowed. Some hold-out customers would claim they could tell the difference between old leather and Leather-IT because of the smell, or because they long for the comforting familiar look of worn leather. They will romanticize the good-old days of conditioning their leather the way classic car owners talk about polishing the good ol' chrome on their 1950's chrome-encrusted trailer queens. Few people would take them seriously.

But instead of a leather-based product like Leather-IT, we have a vinyl-based product instead. So even though leatherette has all the same advantages over leather that Leather-IT would have, people turn their nose up at it just because it is made of vinyl.

I guess I'm way to practical, because it doesn't make sense to me now that I've actually put 100K+ miles onto a set of leatherette Audi seats. I had a seat heater go out at 95K miles, and when Audi Assured replaced it under the extened warrantee they put a new cover on just the bottom half of the seat. I was really worried that the new part of the light beige seat would stick out like a sore thumb. Instead I was amazed to see that the rest of my seat panels still perfectly matched the light beige of the brand new section. There is no way to tell the difference between the old and the new! That wouldn't be typical of the average leather seat with 95K miles on them. I was very impressed, since I've never done anything more to clean the seats then to wipe spilled food off of them with water and a napkin.

Now there is no going back for me. In my eyes, I have the Improved Technology Leather-IT seats that are the upgrade from regular old leather. The fact that they are made from a vinyl base instead of leather doesn't matter to me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
brfbmw128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I guess I'm way to practical, because it doesn't make sense to me now that I've actually put 100K+ miles onto a set of leatherette Audi seats. I had a seat heater go out at 95K miles, and when Audi Assured replaced it under the extened warrantee they put a new cover on just the bottom half of the seat. I was really worried that the new part of the light beige seat would stick out like a sore thumb. Instead I was amazed to see that the rest of my seat panels still perfectly matched the light beige of the brand new section. There is no way to tell the difference between the old and the new! That wouldn't be typical of the average leather seat with 95K miles on them. I was very impressed, since I've never done anything more to clean the seats then to wipe spilled food off of them with water and a napkin.

well put nixon, im with you 110%
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:26 AM   #28
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Also the cows will thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:33 AM   #29
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
So you think the the Boston Leather will be a free upgrade?
LOL WTF
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:38 AM   #30
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:

That sounds great but you conveniently left out the fact that plastic, no wait sorry, Leather-IT, doesn't breathe.

Having had both Audi and BMW "Leather- IT" aka Leatherette aka vinyl seating surfaces, along with real leather, I can say that real leather keeps you inifinitely cooler, ceteris perebus.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #31
badwax
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
That sounds great but you conveniently left out the fact that plastic, no wait sorry, Leather-IT, doesn't breathe.

Having had both Audi and BMW "Leather- IT" aka Leatherette aka vinyl seating surfaces, along with real leather, I can say that real leather keeps you inifinitely cooler, ceteris perebus.
Having had both...........in separate cars........ leatherette in my Benz, I keep one thing in mind that ALWAYS helps me to outweigh the extra cost of leather......... Sheepskins... take the extra $ saved and have them dyed to match the interior.......
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #32
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:

Dont know about that one... The only way you are going to get leather to breathe is if you have it perforated. Otherwise, there is hardly any difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #33
Deuces Wild
Rep
Drives:

I really wish cloth was an option in US. I've had leather before and learned my lesson. Cloth is waaaay better than leatherette/leather in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #34
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Dont know about that one... The only way you are going to get leather to breathe is if you have it perforated. Otherwise, there is hardly any difference.
^+1.... especially with modern finishing methods.
Many are impregnated to seal them.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #35
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

What if I just hate cows?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #36
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I like cows, they're tasty when grilled

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #37
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
What if I just hate cows?
reminds me of that joke: "i'm not a vegetarian because i love animals. i'm a vegetarian because i hate vegetables."

thank you. thank you. i'll be here all week. don't forget to tip your waitress.

anyway, i doubt we will see cloth anytime in the near future as leather is so associated with higher-class autos and bmw wants to see the 1 series 1) accepted as a _real_ bmw and 2) differentiated from the competition. so despite the very real merits of cloth I just don't expect it ... at least not until the 1 series is firmly established.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #38
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

why not Alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #39
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
why not Alcantara?
In the past hasn't BMW offered Alcantara as more of a premium option? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #40
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
why not Alcantara?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
In the past hasn't BMW offered Alcantara as more of a premium option? :iono:
YES.... as part of BMW Individual.
& I wish it was available, I'd order it in a heart beat.

I had it done custom in my last car.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #41
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Well, I guess the only real option for me would be to bite the bullet and install aftermarket seats.

Does anyone know if the side airbags are in the seats, or the door panels? Looks like Recaro will be getting some business in a year or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #42
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post

I have perforated leatherette. In my personal opinion it breathes well. They seem to me to be much cooler than the unperforated black leather I had in my '91 535i. I don't have to carry a towel in the car for wearing shorts anymore. But that might not be a fair comparison since I'm comparing black leather with light beige leatherette.

I'm sure that some people will find some reasons why they might prefer leather. That's the beauty of not living under a dictatorship. I can be attracted to leatherette for all of the benefits I mentioned before. Other folks can dismiss those benefits because they are not important to them and choose something else.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #43
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
That's the beauty of not living under a dictatorship.
You mean you're not a fan of "You can have any car you want as long as it's a Trabant"? :wink:

The antithesis of a BMW: Trabant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #44
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Great post.

I have been debating whether it would be worth the cost to get the boston leather. The only car that I've ever had with leather is my gto. I live in New Orleans so it get about as hot here as the average temp in hell so I know about warm seats and that wasn't enough to turn me off on the idea.

Since BMW's leatherette is as good as you say it is I'll have more mod money.
Appreciate 0