BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

To those of you saying you're too good of a MT drive to not need this feature, you clearly haven't tried to start a RWD car on a steep hill on ice. (i.e,. certain AWD cars tend to be a lot easier).

An example I can think of is a parking garage near me... tends to ice up in the winter and the entrance is an extreme incline. To make things worse, it's bumper to bumper going in. I don't care how good you say you are, hill-holding is a great feature and will save you lots of stress in such a situation.

I've noticed it will ignore gentle inclines, so it isn't too invasive, and you can get around it by using neutral to roll back instead of clutch+brake+release brake
      12-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

im a new manual tranny driver, and although im not great i am okay. i have driven several manual cars for test driving purposes before i made my decision to go for the one. I have to say when i got to drive a manual one it was so much smoother taking off on hills than any other cars, albeit i am a novice i can still drive one competently. So for my purposes it is just great.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Honestly, we don't need 99% of the features on our cars. They certainly make the drive easier, though. :wink:
Appreciate 0