BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Update!!

Well the service manager finally called on Friday morning expressing concern and asked who was my service advisor at my local dealership. After a few hours I got a call and was told to come by Saturday and they will look at it and take the proper course of action. I got up early Saturday and drove out there, met with a service advisor who seemed to be up to speed on the situation. I requested that a master tech perform the oil service with the dreadful "stuck plug". I was treated very well and put in a 228 loaner while the car was worked on. I was called an hour later and was told everything was fine no issue with the plug or pan. The oil change went smoothly with the exception of everyone feeling a bit "baffled" why the other dealer couldn't do it. I did pay twice as much for the oil service which is no problem but i sometimes wonder if i was shooed away since i printed a coupon off the local dealer's website for a cheaper price on the oil change. IDK, I'm just glad my car is fine as I planning on changing the oil myself in the future to avoid any hassles or issues.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10634.50
      11-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #24
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Amazing. A problem that never existed except in the mind of a service tech who could not unscrew a simple oil drain bolt.

This is why I work on my own cars and motorcycles to the extent that I am able. Why should I pay someone else $75 to $120 per hour to 'F' up my vehicles when I can do it myself for free?

Peace to all
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10634.50
      11-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #25
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I really don't understand why the dealer you went to for the oil change couldn't fix the car with a timesert and/or a tap. I guess most mechanic's these days can't seem to fix a car unless they have a "code". The good old-school mechanics are a fading away. Worse case scenario is you will need a new oil pan. But a new drain plug and a tap/time-sert will probably fix your oil pan.

Dack
Dack, I don't know they seem to freak out like it was some kind of catastrophe disaster waiting to happen. The tech changing the oil was a young buck who seems to know what he was doing, however, he froze once he encounter some slight resistance. They called me back there and starting talking all kinds of crazy stuff like a new oil pan yada yada or take it to the previous service center. I just said okay put everything back and I'll roll out and take it up with them.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

At most repair shops and dealerships the guy doing oil changes (or tire changes) is not a "real" mechanic. I.e. not a qualified licensed technician. Depending on the jurisdiction, they are supposed to have a certain ratio of qualified mechanics to apprentices, etc. And most places like muffler shops and quicky lube places don't have any qualified techs. Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50