E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i - Mod Recommendations

07-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #23
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

First Dinan is great if you buy your car brand new and want to preserve your warranty. But seeing as you will only have 6 months left of it I would go for the cheaper and as some will say better ecu upgrades.
As for the items
JB4 is similar function to dinan except it is not a flash rather a piggyback
DCI is dual cone intakes-hopefully thats all you need to know
Dp- or down pipes are just that
Meth you need to look up but it helps cool your engine when under higher boost pressure
IC- intercooler helps cool the turbos(you have a stock one but obviously aftermarket have improved)
And basically all of these will void your warranty so you need to decide how far you want to go.
M3 is an NA 8 cyl beast that may look similar but drives very differently consider a test drive. A used M3 will be inline price wise to your highly modified 335i give 5-7k.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #24
prolific
Private
Rep
Drives: IS-250

Thanks, Fenixx. Yeah I knew a majority but the JB4 is something that I've been seeing a lot of people use but wasn't really 100% sure what it was. I know that when it comes down to it, a reflash is definitely always preferred over a piggyback which is why I'm looking at a company like Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
1) Mod your brain:

http://www.bmwcca.org
http://www.nasaproracing.com
http://www.scca.com

or any other group that does HPDEs/ schools like Skip Barber

then:

2) Tires
3) Suspension
4) Power
5) Brakes
      07-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Assuming you already have a Quaife LSD? If not, you can upgrade power as much as you like and you'll sping a lot of it away.

I'd go for:

remap
suspension upgrade
anti roll bars
quaife LSD

if you want more power then start to look at the exhaust

then intercooler, oil cooler etc.

A lot of aftermarket intercoolers offer a lot, and according to a number of experts, can actually be the same as or even worse than OEM.

Oh and at least upgrade your brake pads and fluids, definitely calipers and disks if you track it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
1) Mod your brain:

then:

2) Tires
3) Suspension
4) Power
5) Brakes
OP, I think this is the best advice you've gotten in this thread. It also sums up my philosophy on mods as well. "Modifying my brain" at the Skip Barber 3 Day MX-5 Racing School was without a doubt the best "bang for the buck" that I ever spent on motorsports.

Developing one’s driving skills is THE single most important performance modification that any driver can make. This point really can't be stressed enough on forums like E90Post. Once a driver has more skill/experience behind the wheel, they’ll better understand the fundamentals of car control and have a good feel for the car’s performance limitations. They'll also better understand which of the car’s stock components most inhibit better lap times (it's probably not the engine). At the track you can seek out advice from various other 335i owners before upgrading your car’s tires, suspension, brake pads, rotors, calipers, differential, etc.

Please note that aleckzandr and I didn’t suggest any (haphazard) engine modifications. The N54 engine produces ample power in stock form so why take a chance creating more stress, strain, and heat on the engine, transmission, driveline, etc., and reduce the car's already sketchy reliability even further? IMO, tampering with a production car's engine (reliability) is never a good idea, but it's an even worse idea to tamper with a very complex and expensive engine like the N54.
      07-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #28
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

There are plenty of contentious threads comparing modified 335's to the M3. One thing you cannot modify on the 335 is the rear suspension which is completely different on the M3 than the 335 and also includes a stock limited slip differential. Also, power delivery and sound of the M3 V-8 will be much different than and heavily modded 335 I-6.

Rather than spend big bucks to heavily modify a 335 to handle and go as fast as an M3, I'd rather get the real thing as engineered by BMW. The M3 is often mentioned as the best all around sport sedan in the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #29
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
1) Mod your brain:

then:

2) Tires
3) Suspension
4) Power
5) Brakes
X2 on this.

Once I got my car, I did not mod the car for awhile. Just want to get use to the overall size and power of the car. Try taking off DSC and step on the throttle, and you'll find out quick the difference and what I mean.

If you "really" plan to get involved with tracking your car, then I highly recommend installing LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac). Yes it's huge hit, but it will be worth it. If not, then follow the list stated above.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
I missed LSD. It can be categorized under power, or put it before power. Of course, any time you can reduce weight....
      07-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
prolific
Private
Rep

I appreciate all of the driving class recommendations; I suppose I'll edit my original post to state that I already plan on getting involved in some sort of course / training course and getting that under my belt at some point.

However, for those that are suggesting to NOT touch the car at all, one of the reasons I even made this thread is because the thought of adding different parts (see: Dinan, etc) is because that whole aspect really interests me. So if you either have a similar interest in adding some performance via aftermarket parts, or have already made some changes, then please feel free to go ahead and drop some other recommendations.

To all the posters thus far, thank you for your insight and suggestions, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There are plenty of contentious threads comparing modified 335's to the M3. One thing you cannot modify on the 335 is the rear suspension which is completely different on the M3 than the 335 and also includes a stock limited slip differential. .
Actually you can use the key front/ rear suspension arms, rear subframe bushings and frnt/rear sway bar from the M3 on the 335i..so Im a bit confused by this..also if u run a proper clutch type LSD and coilovers.. that will take ur 335i a good ways towards the M3.

The M3 still has a ton of other stuff that will not and/or cannot be pilaged for the 335i..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #33
prolific
Private
Rep

The more and more I read about it (on these forums, only) I really am getting the feel that a lot of people aren't really fans of Dinan in any stage.

Any thoughts on PROcede v5 as compared to, let's say, Dinan Stage III? Price and performance-wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #34
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

A procede is more comparable to a jb, but the procede is better. It's worth the extra over the jb but is cheaper than the dinan, last time I looked.
My friend(who has owned two 335's and has been-there-done-that) had a jb, then got a procede and likes it way better.
As soon as I aquire the funds for it(I've had my 07 335 coupe for a month haha), I'm getting a procede as well. I'd make that your first move, as it's the easiest, best bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #35
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolific View Post
The more and more I read about it (on these forums, only) I really am getting the feel that a lot of people aren't really fans of Dinan in any stage.
Nope

Quote:
Any thoughts on PROcede v5 as compared to, let's say, Dinan Stage III? Price and performance-wise.
Comparing a piggy to a reflash is apples and oranges..pricewise piggys are cheaper than reflash especially DINAN
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
Midnight Magic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i - Monaco

I had dinan stage 2 a month after getting my car. I'm much happier with my cobb reflash. Alot more power and I don't have to goto the dealer to reflash when bmw reprograms. On top of that, my car is now flagged with the dinan flash so I'm not sure how that will affect an extended warranty in the future.

If you have the oil cooler and sport suspension for daily driving:

1) Non run flat tires
2) Tune & intake

If needed
3) coilovers
4) M3 links
5) etc...
Cosmetic>// Lux H8 Amber Halo // Performance Kidney // MTech Bumper w/Smoked Fogs / Side Skirts //
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

People don't like dinan bc it's expensive and more conservative than other ecu upgrades. And you must go to the dealer or dinan directly for most anything meaning you will get flagged for it and you can not extend your BMW warranty (third parties work bc they don't know) I have dinan on my car through some random problems with my car and honestly I quite enjoy it(basically I didn't pay for it). I've never been in a car with any other flash or piggy back so I can't really compare. As I posted before I don't think you will really have enough warranty left on your car to justify the extra 1k on the upgrade. But if you do go the dinan route I don't think u will be disappointed. Again just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #38
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

I think it is a big mistake to modify performance of any new vehicle when you first get it. you need to familiarize yourself with the nuances of the car. No 2 cars drive exactly the same in my experience. I waited over a year before I added any performance modifications to my car.

I find it interesting that no one has addressed one glaring point in the OP: This is the first time he has modded a car.

Having never done this, I can tell you that it can be rewarding and addicting. But there is some sacrifice as well. In addition to the mods you will need a code reading/clearing device such as the BT Cable. If you take your car to a not so mod friendly dealership for an issue such as the dreaded HPFP failure and they notice your mods, they may/may not have reason enough to deny what would be considered normal coverage. You will have to have the ability to hide or remove all of your mods. As stated in previous posts, modding can be a bit of a balancing act. For example, if you tinker with HP you will also need stopping power.

If you are going to mod, start slow. No need for Dinan as the price you are paying is for warranty coverage from Dinan. This doesn't mean BMW will automatically fix your car if something breaks due to the tune. It means you will be relying on Dinan to send the check to the dealer to cover services. According to a buddy at my dealer, the dealer had a Dinan-tuned car for 6 weeks because Dinan held up payment due to investigation.

Again, start slow; Start by just driving the car in various road conditions. Get to know it. It should feel like an extension of you. Add one thing at a time. There is no hurry unless you are tracking.

Others opinions may vary but this is based upon my experience. I have been modifying vehicles in various degrees since 2000.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #39
Midnight Magic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i - Monaco

[QUOTE=bspaceman;9981489]
Having never done this, I can tell you that it can be rewarding and addicting.

Again, start slow; Start by just driving the car in various road conditions. Get to know it. It should feel like an extension of you. Add one thing at a time. QUOTE]

+1 that's how I did it, one thing at a time.
Cosmetic>// Lux H8 Amber Halo // Performance Kidney // MTech Bumper w/Smoked Fogs / Side Skirts //
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #40
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

[QUOTE=Midnight Magic;9981596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaceman View Post

Again, start slow; Start by just driving the car in various road conditions. Get to know it. It should feel like an extension of you. Add one thing at a time. QUOTE]

true. our engine in stock is really powerful enough to be very rewarding.

i am slowly starting, one at a time... JB+ first.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaceman View Post

Again, start slow; Start by just driving the car in various road conditions. Get to know it. It should feel like an extension of you. Add one thing at a time.

+2 I actually waited for four years until my warranty was completely done..in addition I joined the forum and spent a whole year just reading and seeing what everyone was running before I even made my first post.

I agree..OP take your time..read, research, talk to as many people as you can before making your mod choices.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #42
prolific
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I agree..OP take your time..read, research, talk to as many people as you can before making your mod choices.
To all the like-minded posts above, I couldn't agree more - and very sound advice overall, thank you.

Perhaps I was a bit misleading in my original post; I don't plan on purchasing the car and then start modding immediately, that's not my intention. Rather, I just would like to get a pretty comprehensive list of some "essentials" together so that when the time comes, I have a pretty good sense of direction.

When it comes to either a piggyback or reflash, money not being an issue (for arguments sake), what's the best way to go? PROcede seems to be talked about the most from what I've seen and video's like this get me pretty stoked:

How easy (or hard) is it to reach around/upwards of 470+ hp with mods and such?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #43
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Best bang for the buck mods (performance wise):

#1 - Good tires
#2 - Tune - do your research here Piggy vs Flash
#3 - Methanol/Water injection - keep your IAT's down with a nice octane boost
#4 - LSD (Quaife or Wavetrac)
#4 - Downpipes
#5 - FMIC
#6 - Custom intake (see my DIY)
#7 - Suspension - Coilovers if you track often if not get some shock/spring combos
#8 - Racing Brake floating rotors + good pads
#9 - Exhaust (not much performance but will change your sound)
#10 - M3 suspension bits

Quote:
How easy (or hard) is it to reach around/upwards of 470+ hp with mods and such?
My engine is fully modded and I can't even push 470+ rwhp. I ordered upgraded turbos but will barely brake 500 rwhp if I'm lucky. Our cars are fuel limited, meaning we can't get enough due to it being DI. Rumors have it Shiv is working on a fueling upgrade, but we'll see.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #44
prolific
Private
Rep

I appreciate the reply; lots of good information.

So is that dude's description in YouTube just a little exaggerated or is it possible?
Appreciate 0