BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'm 6'4" and felt like I was sitting high in the 135's power seat, although the seat was adjusted all the way down. This is the same feeling I get in my e36 M3 w/ power seats. I have noticed I sit much lower in e36 M3's w/ manual seats.

Do the manual 135 seats adjust lower to the floor than the power seats?

-Mahlzeit
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
hmmmm... kind of embarrising having a Bimmer with no power... even nissans have power seats these days, no?
Ya, sure. I'll be really embarrassed. Are you kidding?

You can get just about any car between $20K and $50K with or without sport seats. Some want to pay for it, some don't. Were it standard, they'd build it into the base price and we'd all be paying for it, like it or not.

Personally I find it manual seats to be just fine.
      03-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #25
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

Are you the sole driver of the car? Yes, then manual seat.

The only time you'd really appreciate the power seat is when you just got the car back from stealer's service dept.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #26
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

I got the power seats also for the auto tilt function of the passenger side rearview window. Judging from the numerous times I have to adjust this passenger side rearview window when I am parrallel parking really makes this option a must for me. I think this convenience feature is very much the icing of the cake for me. :headbang:

Of course, having all the other features of the power seats itself accessable through just the push of a few side buttons just makes my ownership all the more pleasurable :wink:
      03-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #27
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspeed View Post
I got the power seats also for the auto tilt function of the passenger side rearview window. Judging from the numerous times I have to adjust this passenger side rearview window when I am parrallel parking really makes this option a must for me. I think this convenience feature is very much the icing of the cake for me. :headbang:

Of course, having all the other features of the power seats itself accessable through just the push of a few side buttons just makes my ownership all the more pleasurable :wink:
Agreed.. but I would still like to know the weight difference between power and manual seats. If the seats are similar to 335i seats I might be able to search for that info on another forum. Anyone know if they're the same as 335i seats?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
plexiglass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The slide front/back lever is a little too long. I keep hitting my right heel against it. Other than that the manual seats are great.
      03-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #29
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

I had manual seats in my E46 and they were great. The manual sport seats in the 135 felt about the same as far as it being intuitive and customizable. Not worth the money if you're planning on skipping the premium package like I am.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Ya, sure. I'll be really embarrassed. Are you kidding?

You can get just about any car between $20K and $50K with or without sport seats. Some want to pay for it, some don't. Were it standard, they'd build it into the base price and we'd all be paying for it, like it or not.

Personally I find it manual seats to be just fine.
I am pricing my car out and if i fit better without power, I'm in. I asked, given that I am 6'5" if you read the thread (why would anybody put 2 and 2 together). I only bring up that it is silly that BMW, a luxury brand, would not include them as standard equipment. As I said before, Nissans come with them for free. You would think BMW would drop a feature like a sunroof which adds weight to the car for the purist, but include power everything.

For those who I was not able to communicate that point to, I apologize. I am not a big fan of internet tough guys who like to smash others. I don't really care what you drove when you were in school, and I that sucks for you. It is an internet forum, and many times people will butcher the english language to quickly post an opinion. IMO, pipe the hatred for the "spoiled kids these days" down, and just discuss the car please.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #31
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
I'm 6'4" and felt like I was sitting high in the 135's power seat, although the seat was adjusted all the way down. This is the same feeling I get in my e36 M3 w/ power seats. I have noticed I sit much lower in e36 M3's w/ manual seats.

Do the manual 135 seats adjust lower to the floor than the power seats?

-Mahlzeit
that is what I was asking earlier in the thread. I was going to order premium, because I was going to get red leather, Assist, and power seats. For $100 more, I might as well just get lumbar, auto-dimming, and digital mirror.

If no power means I will be able to get an inch lower AND get into the back seats quicker, I'm all in. I'll tell my spoiled girlfriend to tough it out:biggrin:.

Nobody else drives the car, so I don't need the driver memory either:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #32
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While you don't need the Sport Package to get lumbar, you do need the Premium Pkg as lumbar can't be ordered as a separate item. A shame, since for those of us with back issues, it is worth it - so I'm pampering myself with the Premium Pkg.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #33
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

The only thing that I would be concerned about with manual seats would be resale value. But that depends entirely on how long you intend to keep the car and what purpose the car fulfills.
      03-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #34
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
While you don't need the Sport Package to get lumbar, you do need the Premium Pkg as lumbar can't be ordered as a separate item. A shame, since for those of us with back issues, it is worth it - so I'm pampering myself with the Premium Pkg.

Tom
really? i have seen on this forum and others, that a lot of members smash the lumbar support as nothing but creating even more uncomfotable seating positions.

I have never had the privilage of driving a car with lumbar support. Is this an option that makes the premium package worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #35
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
hmmmm... kind of embarrising having a Bimmer with no power... even nissans have power seats these days, no?

No, not really because I didn't buy the car because it's a bimmer. In fact, I don't like the prestige associated with BMW, attentions that i don't need. If all that change s in this car is the badge, from bmw to honda, I would still buy it.

Sorry, I am coming from a totally different mindset.
      03-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

yeah, but with the badge is the promise of the best engine, suspension, brakes, appointments in its class.

I just went to a NY Auto show press event, and I noticed how all the Reps were trying to create the image to the consumer:

"You could choose any class you want, and BMW will promise you it will offer the best overall value in its class."

I agree, and I kind of threw a controversial comment out there. I just feel that given BMW's sporty heritage, they would make the sunroof an option as opposed to power seats. At least nickel and diming on the sunroof leaves the enthusiasts with a happy alternative for something they do not want to pay for, as it adds weight. Power seats are somewhat expected.

That being said, I am going probably going to elect for manual seats. It appears you may be able to squeeze an extra inch of space out of the bottom with no motor in the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #37
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I am happy to hear value is part of their goals.
      03-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #38
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
No, not really because I didn't buy the car because it's a bimmer. In fact, I don't like the prestige associated with BMW, attentions that i don't need. If all that change s in this car is the badge, from bmw to honda, I would still buy it.

Sorry, I am coming from a totally different mindset.
+1 :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #39
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmeister View Post
I must be a real loser, I wish it came with manual windows and had the cloth seating option as well. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
Me too. I wish I could also delete the sunrooof. BTW, manual seats are great.

Once set, what good is having electric seats. One more thing to break. In my E34 the fore/aft motor crapped out after my wife drove it and I could not adjust the seat. Had to wait a week until I could replace it.

This never happens with manual seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #40
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I think the manual seats are perfectly fine. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a "correct" way to move the seat forward for rear seat ingress.

I'm using the release latch on top of the seat, of course, and the seat slides forward, but it doesn't seem to want to slide back and reset the back rest angle easily. I have to force the back rest past some sort of resistance "click" before the seat resumes its driving position.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #41
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
I think the manual seats are perfectly fine. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a "correct" way to move the seat forward for rear seat ingress.

I'm using the release latch on top of the seat, of course, and the seat slides forward, but it doesn't seem to want to slide back and reset the back rest angle easily. I have to force the back rest past some sort of resistance "click" before the seat resumes its driving position.
The back rest stop that you describe is normal. Even the electric seats have that. You are doing it correctly, don't worry. It feels a little harder than it should but you are not breaking anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #42
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

That's great to hear how adjustable the manuals are. Once I set my seat I never move it. I was hoping that the manuals would sit lower than the powers too. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #43
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
That's great to hear how adjustable the manuals are. Once I set my seat I never move it. I was hoping that the manuals would sit lower than the powers too. Can anyone confirm this?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #44
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'd say if you're changing drivers frequently it might be worth it.. But what's the point of power seats if you really don't adjust it that much?