BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Don't know if it's my catback exhaust or what but I'm getting prolonged engine starts as well. On occasion mine will turn over for about 3 seconds before firing up. This started happening recently.
That sounds like a Fuel Pump symptom. Get it checked out before you have to get it towed. Better safe then sorry IMO.

Jeff by the way my car runs/starts/drives PERFECT.

Silverfox how did you break in your car out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
That sounds like a Fuel Pump symptom. Get it checked out before you have to get it towed. Better safe then sorry IMO.

Jeff by the way my car runs/starts/drives PERFECT.

Silverfox how did you break in your car out of curiosity?
No RPM's over 4500 for 1200 mi.

Ob.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #25
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I just HOPE BMW has somebody else make a diff fuel pump soon. It has been too long already. They need to put some profit into more R&D. Replace the POS.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #26
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
I have noticed prolonged starting times in my 1 from a cold startup. It takes 2-3 seconds before it decides to kick on. I didn't notice any limp modes yet though? Kindof worried me but I just get too excited to drive once the car is finally on to make a note for later..
Doea anyone know if there is a fuel accumulator or a fuel pump check valve on the 135? A leaking check valve will drop the pressure causing a three or four second re-pressurization before the engine will start on older bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
Your not correct when you way it has alot more problems than the average car.

They are about average in reliability compared to most other car makers.

To search the internet for problems is fine, but remember that most people posting are looking for help and hence post problems.

Your not going to see people posting that my car is running fine today.

Your data ia slanted.
If you say "I see way more people complaining about a screwed up reverse gear than saying their reverse gear is fine, therefore, the majority of owners must have reverse gear problems" then you are misusing the data and are probably a little retarded.

If you say, "I see way more BMW owners complaining about a screwed up reverse gear than any other manufacturers' owners, therefore, BMW must have a problem making a reverse gear than doesn't suck" then you are probably right on.

People use that argument that "you only hear about the bad problems" as a defense for poor quality. For cars that have an active Internet following, you can start to see trends and reason where the real problems lie. It's all relative and if you frequent several forums you can start getting a real idea about what problems you are likely to encounter.

In the end, I think it's pretty clear that BMW isn't going to win a reliability award.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #28
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Hmm my car occasionally gives a long crank (2-3sec)... <200kms on it.. Cross my fingers that I can chalk this up to break-in.
      05-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #29
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

i think this car is kinda like the iphone. People were skeptical at first, a few had problems, eventually the company worked everything out and now its dandy candy;-) Just for the record my dads 2001 525i hasn't had ANY problems and has been a real pleasure. Sorry to all the owners who are experiencing problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #30
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I guess BMW is doing NOTHING about this bullshit problem.
If by 'nothing' you mean issue a recall on affected high pressure fuel pumps, I guess you're right.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #31
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

HPFP's continue to fail. i did two this week on newer production cars. one on a 335i and one in a 535xi. I just feel like this is going to be a common problem/repair. parts will always fail...if they didn't i'd be out of a job.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

Please please children calm down. Let's not get defensive here, we all here to discuss. BTW i know 5 or 6 ppl who have BMWs 3s, x3, 7, I haven't heard they had any problems but then they don't tell me everything. I hope these are isolated problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If by 'nothing' you mean issue a recall on affected high pressure fuel pumps, I guess you're right.
There is no recall on a range of affected pumps, as far as I know. That's because the range would encompass all production, as they continue to fail.

BMW is only replacing them as they fail. That's fine under warranty - but you would not like it one bit if it happened outside of it. The bill is nothing to sneeze at.

Keep en eye out for this, if you want to keep your N54-equipped car outside warranty. I wouldn't dream of doing it without an extended warranty of some kind.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #34
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There is no recall on a range of affected pumps, as far as I know.
Quote:
SI B13 03 08
Fuel Systems
April 2008
Technical Service

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT

Service Action: Replace the High-Pressure Pump

MODEL
E90, E92, and E93 with the N54 engine produced from 06/01/2006 through 10/28/2006

SITUATION

An internal component in the high-pressure pump (HDP) may fail, causing drivability symptoms such as longer starting times or erratic engine operation. It may also lead to a premature failure of the HDP on vehicles at higher mileages. Should this situation occur, the HDP emergency operation is activated and the Service Engine Soon lamp (MIL) is illuminated. Note: In this situation, the vehicle can continue to be driven, even for long distances, without any risk of breakdown.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

This Service Action involves E90, E92 and E93 vehicles with N54 engines which were produced from 06/01/2006 through 10/28/2006. In order to determine whether a specific vehicle is affected by this Service Action, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action. The chassis number ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor.

Model
Chassis Number Range
E90
FV75004 – FV75116
E90
KY60007 – KY60964
E90
PA65001 – PA87847
E92
P021102 – P032114
E92
PV80038 – PV83999
E93
PX45010 – PX45013

CORRECTION

Replace the high-pressure pump.
and
Quote:
SI B13 02 08
Fuel Systems
February 2008
Technical Service

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT

Service Action: Replace the High Pressure Pump

MODEL

E90, E92, and E93 with the N54 engine, produced from 01/17/2007 through 01/25/07

SITUATION

An internal component in the high-pressure pump (HDP) may fail, causing driveability symptoms such as longer starting times or erratic engine operation. It may also lead to a premature failure of the HDP on vehicles at higher mileages. Should this situation occur, the HDP emergency operation is activated and the Service Engine Soon lamp (MIL) is illuminated. Note: In this situation, the vehicle can continue to be driven, even for long distances, without any risk of breakdown.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Service Action involves E90, E92 and E93 vehicles with N54 engines which were produced from 01/17/2007 through 01/25/2007. In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Service Action, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action. The Chassis Number Ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor.

Model
Chassis Number Range
E90
P100339 – P100668
E90
PA65965 – PA66015
E90
VF49706 – VF52378
E92
P022744 – P033837
E93
PX45170 – PX45288

CORRECTION

Replace the high-pressure pump.
As of right now, there is no recall for the 135i. I'm just making a point that BMW is doing something about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #35
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

^this is the thing, its not a 135 thing, its a n54 thing. i took my car to the dealership recently and one of the codes they saw was low fuel pressure and they said they checked the hpfp and everything is OK, so they didn't do anything.

then i told them that this is a common issue on the n54 engine with 08 335's and 135's having the pumps replaced. The SA told me "this used to be an issue on the early 335's" - to which i said "no this is an issue on 08 n54 engines" and she said "well there's no recall for your car" and then she said "the issue was that the fuel pumps were backordered" to which i said "no the issue was the pumps were failing in the first place". then she explained to me that they just use some gt1 computer system or some bs and do what bmw tells them. Seems like the bmw service/warranty is a joke. they rely on computers way too much and don't use their heads.

this is a known issue on the n54, i had evidence in my car that its an issue, and bmw told my service dealer to do nothing.

therefore, its safe to say, bmw did nothing for ME on the fuel pump issue. on top of that, some people already have had their pumps replaced 2 or 3 times. bmw can not get their shit together. stop defending them. there is no excuse!

if this was lexus, they'd already have a recall and come to your home pick up the car and get it fixed right. bmw hasn't issued any recalls on the fuel pump, instead they have issued technical service bulletins. which is a very different thing. and they keep extending the date that the SIBs apply to, whereas they should at least say the SIB applies to all n54 engines and not be so freaking cheap, cause they're cars sure are not cheap.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

BMW warranty REQUIRES GT One diagnosis for non-recall fuel pump replacement. If you don't get a diag code from the test plan, you CANNOT replace the fuel pump. There are other issues that can cause fuel delivery problems.

As of right now, there is no service action for 135i fuel pumps. If it continues to be a problem, BMW will most likely issue one.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #37
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
As of right now, there is no service action for 135i fuel pumps. If it continues to be a problem, BMW will most likely issue one.
You missed the point - in addition to the 2 narrow build date ranges you mentioned in your post, HPFP are failing on various models of various build dates, 2008 135i's included. And as a technician has posted, on 535i's too...

In other words, there is NO build range that has been spared this failure and NO specific model series, yet BMW only replaces the pumps on a very narrow range of 3 series cars.

In addition to this, do they notify the owners? The bulletin only says the pump should be replaced when the car comes in for servicing. That's not the way to do a recall - when my car was in for a recall in the past (still a BMW), they sent me a notice at home and the dealer called later on to schedule a date.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #38
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow, didn't realize people were still having the FP failures on 08 model N54's. How many people with 135i's here have had theirs replaced then? Any idea how much it would cost if the car went out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
^this is the thing, its not a 135 thing, its a n54 thing. i took my car to the dealership recently and one of the codes they saw was low fuel pressure and they said they checked the hpfp and everything is OK, so they didn't do anything.

then i told them that this is a common issue on the n54 engine with 08 335's and 135's having the pumps replaced. The SA told me "this used to be an issue on the early 335's" - to which i said "no this is an issue on 08 n54 engines" and she said "well there's no recall for your car" and then she said "the issue was that the fuel pumps were backordered" to which i said "no the issue was the pumps were failing in the first place". then she explained to me that they just use some gt1 computer system or some bs and do what bmw tells them. Seems like the bmw service/warranty is a joke. they rely on computers way too much and don't use their heads.

this is a known issue on the n54, i had evidence in my car that its an issue, and bmw told my service dealer to do nothing.

therefore, its safe to say, bmw did nothing for ME on the fuel pump issue. on top of that, some people already have had their pumps replaced 2 or 3 times. bmw can not get their shit together. stop defending them. there is no excuse!

if this was lexus, they'd already have a recall and come to your home pick up the car and get it fixed right. bmw hasn't issued any recalls on the fuel pump, instead they have issued technical service bulletins. which is a very different thing. and they keep extending the date that the SIBs apply to, whereas they should at least say the SIB applies to all n54 engines and not be so freaking cheap, cause they're cars sure are not cheap.
A AGREE 110% BMW needs to OPEN their eyes instead of looking the other way like the USA Government. The N54 engine has been in cars for 2 years and this fuel pump problem has been a problem since day ONE.... MANY people have had more then 1 new(OR REBUILT) fuel pumps on their new cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #40
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You missed the point - in addition to the 2 narrow build date ranges you mentioned in your post, HPFP are failing on various models of various build dates, 2008 135i's included. And as a technician has posted, on 535i's too...

In other words, there is NO build range that has been spared this failure and NO specific model series, yet BMW only replaces the pumps on a very narrow range of 3 series cars.

In addition to this, do they notify the owners? The bulletin only says the pump should be replaced when the car comes in for servicing. That's not the way to do a recall - when my car was in for a recall in the past (still a BMW), they sent me a notice at home and the dealer called later on to schedule a date.
Well thats how American and Japanise car makers do it. I guess German car makers just don't care after the money is in their pockets. Can't argue that.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #41
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Well thats how American and Japanise car makers do it. I guess German car makers just don't care after the money is in their pockets. Can't argue that.
That is certainly the difference between a "silent recall" and a public one. BMW has done both types in the past.

I wonder if the re-issue of this recal has anything to do with the recently launched NHTSA investigation:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140023

I would not be surprised at all if this will end in a full blown recall. (Of course at a much higher cost to BMW than if they had corrected the problem initially).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
hooner35
Make every day a great 1!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.87]
2 incidents of 2-3 sec. prolonged engine starts so far. I have 1400 miles on it. Everything else is beyond perfect.
I'm just too excited to get pissed off for a little problem like this right now but, yes, they do have to address this issue!
      06-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #43
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That is certainly the difference between a "silent recall" and a public one. BMW has done both types in the past.

I wonder if the re-issue of this recal has anything to do with the recently launched NHTSA investigation:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140023

I would not be surprised at all if this will end in a full blown recall. (Of course at a much higher cost to BMW than if they had corrected the problem initially).
I went to the NHTSA website and it looks like the only ongoing investigation is on the 2007 335i models; nothing for the 135i. I would suggest everyone that experience this problem file a complaint with the NHTSA right on their website.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #44
Chicago1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have had numerous hard starts... some lasting 4-5 seconds. And it's totally random.... not necessarily when the car is either cold, warm, or been sitting for a long period. Sounds like I should go have it looked at, but from some of the posts in this thread, it sounds like BMW won't replace anything unless I'm throwing a code?? Suggestions??
:iono: