BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
The problem with Costco gas, is they buy from a variety of suppliers, whichever is cheapest at the time. So you can not really say if it is good or not, because it changes all the time.
But, they are required to add more detergent additives to qualify as a "Top Tier" gasoline. Correct? Or is the Top Tier rating just a sign that means nothing as an earlier poster said.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #24
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
The problem with Costco gas, is they buy from a variety of suppliers, whichever is cheapest at the time. So you can not really say if it is good or not, because it changes all the time.
And of course the name brands buy from suppliers; e.g. Shell stations in a particular area may buy base stock from, say, Conoco because Conoco has a refinery in the area and Shell does not. The additive package may then be incorporated by Shell or buy a distributor under contract to Shell. This is essentially the same thing Costco is doing. The difference, of course, is that in no area will the gas originate from a Costco refinery, since they don't have any, while in some areas Shell gasoline may originate from a Shell refinery.

Top Tier is about deposit control. to meet these requirements a marketer/retailer's product must pass a performance test as outlined at http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs.html. Note the test requirements pertain not only to the additized fuel, but also to the base fuel, providing some assurance the what's being sold isn't just an additive package on top of a poor refinery product.

Probably as important as the fuel supplied to the retailer is how the retailer handles the gasoline. Here's what Costco has to say at http://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html;

Station Maintenance
  • Good station operation and maintenance means the fuel is filtered and that contaminants, such as sediment and water, do not find their way into our members' vehicles. Costco gas stations are well-maintained by our capable attendants so you may be confident that the gasoline going into your car is clean.
  • Costco uses fuel filters to catch particles or debris larger than 10 microns in diameter. For comparison, the average human hair is seventy microns thick.
    • Our attendants check the nozzle flow rate frequently to assure that our filters are fresh. When the flow rate falls below 8 gallons per minute, we change the filter.
    • Costco uses ethanol-compatible filters designed to catch sediment, water, or phase-separated ethanol and water mixtures.
    Costco's electronic sensors continuously monitor our underground storage tanks for water.
  • We physically inspect and take chemical samples of our tanks at least weekly to confirm there is no contamination.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
But, they are required to add more detergent additives to qualify as a "Top Tier" gasoline. Correct? Or is the Top Tier rating just a sign that means nothing as an earlier poster said.
Yes, they are Top Tier rated, which means 5X the gov't mandated minium cleaning additives.

Whos additive package though? Theirs? Someone else? The lack of any real information about the fuel scares me. It is the additive package that is the difference between all the fuels, and can be up to 25% of what goes into your tank, the base fuels are pretty much all the same.

I work as a tech here at Acura, and I have seen many instances of people having problems with Costco gas. The MDX seems particularly sensitive to fuel, and have seen many of them with knocking and lean burn issues. They switched to Shell or PetroCan and the problems went away. Maybe Canadian Costco fuel is different than the USA version, dunno.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #26
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

http://www.savingadvice.com/articles...s-quality.html

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #27
mrvco
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
We only have two refineries in Colorado and they are both owned by the same company... so there is no great mystery as to the source of our gasoline.

The Costco gas station facilities always appear clean and well maintained... certainly better than the typical corner gas station that is more interested in selling diet pills and cigarettes than quality motor vehicle fuel.
      06-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
We only have two refineries in Colorado and they are both owned by the same company... so there is no great mystery as to the source of our gasoline.
Yes, the BASE fuels are pretty much all the same. It is the additive packages that are different.

Check out Shells new Nitro+. Only fuel recommended by BMW M and Ferrari.

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-serv...ll-vpower.html
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I buy Costco gas all the time and have never had an issue. It is typically 20-30 cents cheaper, the station is better maintained, and has higher turnover(less likely to get stale gas). I haven't seen any evidence that their gas is of lesser quality than any other gas station. As far as additives go all I have seen is marketing material nothing scientific except using the word scientific to back up the claims that ones additive package is superior to another. The top tier performance specification and trademark was designed by several major automakers including BMW so you could say that BMW also recommends Costco gas.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This is one of those ongoing debates within communities like this. My opinion is the differences are probably not that great compared to how well the actual station is maintained. I think the junk that could get into the fuel at the station is more detrimental. When I was taking an EPA class on environmental laws, there was a discussion of underground gas storage tanks at gas stations. Soil at these locations get ridiculously contaminated over time as it's not if the tanks will leak but when and how badly. And if the gas is getting out, you know crap is getting in.

Also, as stated, there are only a limited number of refineries and everyone included the name brands are getting their fuel from the same source. How things are mixed...well that I don't know.

With regards to auto manufacturers making a leap to associate their name with a particular brand company....my old Ford Focus had labels printed on the gas cap saying BP was recommended by Ford.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This is off topic but since we're all talking about Costco gas, I had a recent incident at my local Costco gas station.

I pull in to one of the lanes and wait for the people ahead of me to get done fueling. The car directly in front of me gets done so I pull up and get out of my car. This ahole behind me in his truck starts honking his horn and waving his arms at me. The Costco attendant happened to be standing between my pump and the pump ahead of mine. I look at him and ask does he know what this idiot is trying to tell me. He says no. So I go ahead and start pumping. I'm about 2 minutes into fueling my car when the car at the pump ahead of me gets done and drives off.

Shortly after the car ahead of me drives off, this ahole starts honking his horn and yelling out his window at me; obviously upset that I didn't wait to pull up to the first pump in the lane. At this point, I get pissed and yell back, "What the F' is your problem?" He's yelling back and I tell him drive his stupid truck around as I gave enough space for a semi truck to drive through the drive through lane. At this point, the Costco attendant comes over and talks to the idiot. He's now yelling out the window saying how dare I top off my tank and that I was there for over 30 minutes. Yeah right. The Costco attendant says I have the right to top off and do what ever I need before driving off. The attendant also tells the moron to drive around but he doesn't. The attendant at this time realizes he can't get through $hit for brains and walks off. At this point, I'm done pumping and start walking over to the driver side of my car to get in. The attendant just happens to pass near me and says to me in a sarcastic manner how dare I top off my tank. I don't remember what I said back to the attendant. Then the guy on the other side of the pump I was using walks up to the gap between pumps and says to both of us, are we all in agreement that this guy is a total asshole?

I drive off and when I drive by on the street next to the pumps I see this jerk still jawing off at the attendant about how I was wrong and he was right.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #32
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Check out Shells new Nitro+. Only fuel recommended by BMW M and Ferrari.
Maybe only because Shell gave them the best deal?

Isn't that why BMW switched from Castrol to Shell?

Last edited by bmw1racer; 06-23-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Maybe only because Shell gave them they best deal?

Isn't that why BMW switched from Castrol to Shell?
Exactly correct !
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #34
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I honestly can tell a difference between Costco 93 vs Shell VPower XYZ or whatever they want to call it. Shell lost me when the stations started charging close to $.50 more per gallon over 87 vs Costco $.30 over 87. Then add in maybe $.10 to $.20 per gallon cheaper over the name brands can be 30 to 40 cents per gallon cheaper. $4 to $5 per fill up adds up over a year.

I make sure to keep my gas receipts from all fill ups in case there is a problem. You probably have better luck getting Costco to own up to bad gas vs some locally owned branded station since all they want to sell is 5 Hour Energy and beef jerky.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #35
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
How do you know this? Forum threads? The price is lower so it MUST be lower quality? Is there any proof out there to back up this statement?

If the same suit sold for $300 at one store and $200 at another would you still but the same suit for $300 because that store has a better perceived reputation? ie. Shell vs. Costco
Lol.

Firstly, relax.

Second no, price is relative. The cost/price of something is only as much as it's perceived value. I'm an avid bargain hunter... but I prefer not to sacrifice quality, esp. on cars, which is my hobby. So hell yes I would wait a month to grab that $300 suit @ 33% off, and then add to my savings for M3 RSFB haha.

I did a quick search but did not find the article again. Anyway, it's already been mentioned but from what I remember of the article it boiled down to additives/detergents, and yes it's a top tier fuel and everything. If you like I can talk to a friend of mine (on the forums) who works for a major oil/gas company here. He would be far more capable to answer your question definitively as he knows boatloads about all this stuff.

Honestly though, if it's cheaper, and you like it... well it's you car. Do whatever makes ya happy Different opinions are just that, different.

Last edited by 6MT_Addict; 06-24-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:31 AM   #36
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Most gas stations buy their gas from the same local supplier. IN MOST cases, that supplier will sell to Shell, Caseys, 7-11, Kum&Go, QuickStop etc. This isn't the rule, but in most cases, that's how they do it. Which means that the gas you get at one store, is the exact same gas you get at the rest.
      06-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #37
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
Most gas stations buy their gas from the same local supplier. IN MOST cases, that supplier will sell to Shell, Caseys, 7-11, Kum&Go, QuickStop etc. This isn't the rule, but in most cases, that's how they do it. Which means that the gas you get at one store, is the exact same gas you get at the rest.
Gah! It is the base fuel that is the same. This is common knowledge. The additive packages are different, and that is what makes the difference between fuels.
I've seen the same fuel truck supply 91 and 93 octane fuel, to 3 different gas stations. Practices may differ from company to company, or area to area. Don't know. Just speaking from personal experience.
      06-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #38
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've seen the same fuel truck supply 91 and 93 octane fuel, to 3 different gas stations. Practices may differ from company to company, or area to area. Don't know. Just speaking from personal experience.
You know the trucks have several different storage tanks on one truck right? They can carry regular, premium, diesel or different brands all at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #39
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Nope didn't know that!
      06-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #40
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nope didn't know that!
Quote:
Although for sanitation reasons food tanks are built without baffles, some tank trucks are able to carry multiple products at once due to compartmentalization of the tank into 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or in some rare cases more tank compartments. This allows for an increased number of delivery options. These trucks are commonly used to carry different grades of gasoline to service stations to carry all products needed in one trip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_truck
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #41
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
Lol.

Firstly, relax.

Second no, price is relative. The cost/price of something is only as much as it's perceived value. I'm an avid bargain hunter... but I prefer not to sacrifice quality, esp. on cars, which is my hobby. So hell yes I would wait a month to grab that $300 suit @ 33% off, and then add to my savings for M3 RSFB haha.

I did a quick search but did not find the article again. Anyway, it's already been mentioned but from what I remember of the article it boiled down to additives/detergents, and yes it's a top tier fuel and everything. If you like I can talk to a friend of mine (on the forums) who works for a major oil/gas company here. He would be far more capable to answer your question definitively as he knows boatloads about all this stuff.

Honestly though, if it's cheaper, and you like it... well it's you car. Do whatever makes ya happy Different opinions are just that, different.
You do not need to tell me to relax. I was just making a point. lol maybe you should relax, your doing a lot or research to prove a point.
Bottom line is Costco fuel is Top Tier Gasoline. If you or someone else thinks that the Costco additives are some gummy substance that will foul up your injectors than pay the extra 30 cents a gallon and be happy. enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #42
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Nope didn't know that!
Quote:
Although for sanitation reasons food tanks are built without baffles, some tank trucks are able to carry multiple products at once due to compartmentalization of the tank into 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or in some rare cases more tank compartments. This allows for an increased number of delivery options. These trucks are commonly used to carry different grades of gasoline to service stations to carry all products needed in one trip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_truck
I appreciate your attempt to educate me, but it's coming of as pompous and rude.
      06-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #43
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

lol here we go...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #44
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your attempt to educate me, but it's coming of as pompous and rude.
Sorry about that. I tend to be very direct and not sugar coat things.
Appreciate 0