BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #23
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Looks like a nice car! But find and test drive an M-Sport equivalent before pulling the trigger.
      11-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #24
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Things you should be aware of...

...1) overly complicated car
...2) dealership visits because of the first one
...3) not really a sports car, stock it only excels at cruising at 150 MPH which you can't really do here unless you're ed bolian
...4) make sure to turn DSC fully off by holding the button down for a few seconds and drive the car hard. but don't do it on a public road until you have some experience.
...5) the car looks great (in your opinion and mine) but it's a bit undecided on where to belong because it weighs a lot, yet is small enough so as to have a useless back seat unless you never carry full size humans.
Thanks for the response! While it is more complicated than what I've had in the past, it doesn't seem overly complicated. I've built a few Mustangs in the past and several Jeeps, understand that a carbureted pushrod motor is quite different than this, I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

Also, being that it's out of warranty, I certainly will not be bringing it to BMW for anything. I have a buddy who is a BMW tech a few states away and would look to him for guidance on anything serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Looks like a nice car! But find and test drive an M-Sport equivalent before pulling the trigger.
I've continued to look around, but there aren't any in a good condition in a reasonable distance that I'm willing to travel. I plan on modding it anyway, so other than some of the convenience things (nicer seats etc.) is there anything that I'd really be missing?

Thanks again, all for the responses!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam36 View Post
Quote:
I've continued to look around, but there aren't any in a good condition in a reasonable distance that I'm willing to travel. I plan on modding it anyway, so other than some of the convenience things (nicer seats etc.) is there anything that I'd really be missing?

Thanks again, all for the responses!
Here's a breakdown of the M Sport package FYI:

ZMP M Sport Package
2MR 18" wheels w/performance tires (style 261M)
337 Sport Package
481 Sport seats
710 M steering wheel or 7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles
760 Shadowline exterior trim
775 Anthracite headliner
840 Increased top speed limiter

Plus the all important ///M badges, that add at least 2hp per badge.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

ZMP M Sport Package
337 Sport Package
481 Sport seats
775 Anthracite headliner

I hate my (poseur) ///M badges.

(I realize this has been asked before) Anybody got a breakdown of what's included with the 0337 package? I thought there was a suspension upgrade? RealOEM seems to show a different strut... and I've read in other forums the springs are shorter (RealOEM does not show anything for springs)?
      11-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

ZMP M Sport Package
337 Sport Package
481 Sport seats
775 Anthracite headliner

Thank you for this!

In terms of exterior, other than the shadowline trim (which I plan on wrapping my chrome trim) is there any difference? Bumpers, fenders, etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for this!

In terms of exterior, other than the shadowline trim (which I plan on wrapping my chrome trim) is there any difference? Bumpers, fenders, etc?
Just the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #29
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible. SRG Z4

I am sure the sport seats are nice (had them in other BMWs and really liked them), but for us fat boys with joint issues, getting in and out seems easier with the standard seats. Just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #30
AB M2C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim Silver

As great as that car looks quality wise, I think you could find an M-Sport model for a similar if not lower price with around the same mileage.

While you say the seats are comfortable (which I agree they are) as soon as you do any spirited driving you'll find them to be sloppy and not give you nearly the same inputs as the M-Sport ones do. Along with that while the rest is not a deal maker or breaker to me, I prefer every single extra option of the M-Sport to the non, its just more appealing in general.

Pretty much I would say ya this is a nice car, but if I were to guess I would say an M-Sport will pop up that looks just as good quality wise for around the same price. Wait it out, don't just pull the trigger because this one is there right now.
Sold -- 2005 E46 M3 MT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #31
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 HKS M2C

Are you only looking for 6spd OP?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #32
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneKid View Post
As great as that car looks quality wise, I think you could find an M-Sport model for a similar if not lower price with around the same mileage.

While you say the seats are comfortable (which I agree they are) as soon as you do any spirited driving you'll find them to be sloppy and not give you nearly the same inputs as the M-Sport ones do. Along with that while the rest is not a deal maker or breaker to me, I prefer every single extra option of the M-Sport to the non, its just more appealing in general.

Pretty much I would say ya this is a nice car, but if I were to guess I would say an M-Sport will pop up that looks just as good quality wise for around the same price. Wait it out, don't just pull the trigger because this one is there right now.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm torn between pulling the trigger on this one– it's mechanically sound, great condition, low miles, bone stock or waiting to see if a similar car pops up with an M-Sport package. I'm really leaning towards this one, especially since most of the 1ers in my area for sale either auto, or high mileage/modded. Also, I would need to find it at a dealer since I'd be trading in my current vehicle– buying one privately is out, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Are you only looking for 6spd OP?
Yeah that and a coupe are pretty much my 2 mandates.

Last edited by cam36; 11-29-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #33
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Jump on Autotrader and find the car you want. Be patient. Negotiate a deal, fly one-way to the car and drive it home (that's how I did mine). Or trailer it, there are plenty of options there. $23K for less than you otherwise would have hoped for will leave you second-guessing. Be patient.
      11-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #34
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Jump on Autotrader and find the car you want. Be patient. Negotiate a deal, fly one-way to the car and drive it home (that's how I did mine). Or trailer it, there are plenty of options there. $23K for less than you otherwise would have hoped for will leave you second-guessing. Be patient.
I would be willing to do that if I didn't have a trade. My problem is, it's hard to get an appraisal over the phone on a vehicle a dealer isn't looking at. I don't want to drive 100mi only to get a lowball offer on my trade.

Low mileage, mechanically sound, and overall good condition are priorities for me over the M-Package. From what I've seen, most of these vehicles are for sale off lease, and being that we are approaching 2017, I don't foresee many more popping up– unless of course, they are 2nd or 3rd owner sales.

Not sure if it's me being impatient and wanting to impulse buy, or this one is just genuinely appealing, given it's price and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Look into a car buying service. I will never trade in a car at a dealership after seeing how much more a car buying service offered me on my previous car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #36
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Look into a car buying service. I will never trade in a car at a dealership after seeing how much more a car buying service offered me on my previous car.
I was actually quite satisfied with the offer I received from the dealer in my original post. Sure, I could probably get ~$4-5k more selling privately, but with the tax savings the amount is negligible.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I was actually quite satisfied with the offer I received from the dealer in my original post. Sure, I could probably get ~$4-5k more selling privately, but with the tax savings the amount is negligible.
I don't get this logic at all. If you're able to get at least $1000 more by going to a car buying service like, We Buy Any Cars, doing the same thing you did at a dealership, why wouldn't you? I know I'm not rich enough to leave even a few dollars on the table. The process I went through was entirely painless. Set up an appointment. Drove my car there. They did an inspection and gave me their offer. I accepted. And they cut me a check. The entire process took maybe 30 to 45 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #38
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't get this logic at all. If you're able to get at least $1000 more by going to a car buying service like, We Buy Any Cars, doing the same thing you did at a dealership, why wouldn't you? I know I'm not rich enough to leave even a few dollars on the table. The process I went through was entirely painless. Set up an appointment. Drove my car there. They did an inspection and gave me their offer. I accepted. And they cut me a check. The entire process took maybe 30 to 45 minutes.
The logic is you actually save money by trading in the vehicle for a slightly less value. For example:

I'm buying a car at $30,000.00 with cash, I'm paying tax on $30,000.00. In NY, that's $2,587.00.

If I am buying the same car at $30,000.00 But I trade in my current car at $25,000.00. I'm only paying tax on $5,000.00. So I save $2,155.75.

How much more would a car buying service give you? I'm being offered what KBB is saying I should get on a trade– on the higher spectrum of that scale. If it's less than $2k then it's not really worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #39
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
I agree with fabulous. Just test drive any m-sport equipped 135 before buying. There is a definite difference if the overall feel of cabin. The sport seats, steering wheel and headliner make it feel like a different car. Can't explain why but it just does.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #40
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback, this forum has been a huge help. I winded up test driving an m-sport vert, and while it is very nice and would be nice to have, I decided to go with the non m-sport coupe I had originally posted about. I just couldn't justify the price difference for an m-sport around my area for the amount of driving I do.

Super excited to be apart of this community and can't wait to begin modding.

Thanks again, everyone!
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      12-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #41
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback, this forum has been a huge help. I winded up test driving an m-sport vert, and while it is very nice and would be nice to have, I decided to go with the non m-sport coupe I had originally posted about. I just couldn't justify the price difference for an m-sport around my area for the amount of driving I do.

Thanks again, everyone!
PROST!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #42
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I'd rather be super excited and impatient to drive it than to modify it.

Congrats anyways. Now start searching M3 seats on ebay!
      12-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #43
cam36
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I'd rather be super excited and impatient to drive it than to modify it.

Congrats anyways. Now start searching M3 seats on ebay!
Ha! So true. I'm finding every excuse to go out and drive now. I love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks again, everyone!
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to 1ADDICTS!

I'm guessing the PPI went well. Glad it all worked out for you.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-05-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0