BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #23
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
as an aside and general comment, this is such rubbish. why do we have this predisposition for expressing europhilia, i will never understand. they assemble BMWs in russia and india too. in twenty years time when either china or india has bought BMW the europhiles will be longing for the good old days.
No offence but....I call it provenance, not europhilia.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #24
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
as an aside and general comment, this is such rubbish. why do we have this predisposition for expressing europhilia, i will never understand. they assemble BMWs in russia and india too. in twenty years time when either china or india has bought BMW the europhiles will be longing for the good old days.
Good point professor, but did you read amk2912's post...

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have anything against it all, BUT when you keep hearing the same reports of people having owned the vehicles that have come from elsewhere not being as good, this will always raise concerns and also the fact that the cost saving of the manufacturer are not passed on the end user is another not so welcomed thought also...

I wouldn't call it europhilia, it's simply more knowledgeable or researched vehicle enthusiasts who are interested in aspects beyond just the car itself...

I have since been checking to see if there are any notable finish quality differences in the Audi range, because of these very reasons, because the TT range are put together in Hungary, not Ingolstadt Germany...

So far however both from my own observations and owners/testers reviews, they seem to be on par with the rest coming out of Ingolstadt :smile:

Therefore if I opt or choose to buy a TTS I certainly won't be bothered at all that it was assembled in Hungary and not in Germany :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Don’t worry, I do not take umbrage easily. No offence, but how interesting though that a steadfast predilection for the expression of “provenance” can burden the rational evaluation of reality with the weight of an unrequited sentiment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry guys. I guess this stuff just pushes my buttons too fiercely. We would be more forgiving of errors emanating from a new Infiniti or Lexus plant set up in Denmark than we would ever be of errors coming from a Mercedes plant set up in Brazil.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #27
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sorry guys. I guess this stuff just pushes my buttons too fiercely. We would be more forgiving of errors emanating from a new Infiniti or Lexus plant set up in Denmark than we would ever be of errors coming from a Mercedes plant set up in Brazil.
Not at all professor, I for one very much enjoy your posts !

Intelligent conversation, whether in mutual agreement or back and forth about a particular topic of interest, I find stimulating and worth it in the end, because I may have learned something I didn't know of before or vice versa and helped someone else

It's all good in the end :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #28
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Hmm..maybe I'm more captivated by the thought that a buxom Fraulein working in QC sat upon my Boston leather seat and cast her caring eye across the dashboard and twiddled all the switches to make sure all complied to their exacting standards.

Who knows she may even drive one herself and so put the love and care into my car that she feels for her own.

:wub:

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

hey, not fair!! when you put it that way.....game over....you win.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #30
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Hmm..maybe I'm more captivated by the thought that a buxom Fraulein working in QC sat upon my Boston leather seat and cast her caring eye across the dashboard and twiddled all the switches to make sure all complied to their exacting standards.

Who knows she may even drive one herself and so put the love and care into my car that she feels for her own.

:wub:
Indeed very good point, that is how Ferrari employees build each and everyone of their cars, with lots of TLC as if it were their own vehicle :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #31
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

A view from a slightly different angle.

My previous cars were Mercedes. A C240 for the boss and a SLK350 for your humble servant.

As we all know the C class was made in RSA and the QC was woeful and downright dangerous. There were a few annoying rattles, the climate control A/C had a mind of its own, but most importantly one of the rear brake calipers was not installed correctly or for that matter picked up at PD or any of the dealer services (a whinge for another thread). The car ALWAYS had a warranty item at every service.

My SLK was slightly better but still problematic. The wheel alignment was out at delivery, the A/C was ineffective (in a two seat car!), the hard top mechanism groaned and there were those rattles again.

Top Gear Jeremy has said that MB has been through a poor QC phases between the late 90s to the early 00s. My cars were built right in the middle of this not so glorious period.

My current cars are both Subaru. The boss has an Outback 3.0R and yours truly the Liberty GT. Both cars have bulletproof build quality. No rattles or squeaks. Not one warranty claim.

The Subarus don't have that intangible quality/prestige (add your favorite marketing BS here) as the Mercedes but are better/more reliable cars.

If any of us went to the local electrical store to buy a plasma, I am sure that all of us would walk out with Made in Japan model over the identically made and priced Made in China model. Its just that we all want the 'real' deal not the facsimile.

Didn't mean to start such a 'full and frank' discussion.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #32
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
A view from a slightly different angle.

My previous cars were Mercedes. A C240 for the boss and a SLK350 for your humble servant.

As we all know the C class was made in RSA and the QC was woeful and downright dangerous. There were a few annoying rattles, the climate control A/C had a mind of its own, but most importantly one of the rear brake calipers was not installed correctly or for that matter picked up at PD or any of the dealer services (a whinge for another thread). The car ALWAYS had a warranty item at every service.

My SLK was slightly better but still problematic. The wheel alignment was out at delivery, the A/C was ineffective (in a two seat car!), the hard top mechanism groaned and there were those rattles again.

Top Gear Jeremy has said that MB has been through a poor QC phases between the late 90s to the early 00s. My cars were built right in the middle of this not so glorious period.

My current cars are both Subaru. The boss has an Outback 3.0R and yours truly the Liberty GT. Both cars have bulletproof build quality. No rattles or squeaks. Not one warranty claim.

The Subarus don't have that intangible quality/prestige (add your favorite marketing BS here) as the Mercedes but are better/more reliable cars.

If any of us went to the local electrical store to buy a plasma, I am sure that all of us would walk out with Made in Japan model over the identically made and priced Made in China model. Its just that we all want the 'real' deal not the facsimile.

Didn't mean to start such a 'full and frank' discussion.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Interesting molar - hopefully Merc. have got their act together these days with their 'abroad' produced range...current model SLK 350 is on my short list :smile:

What you've said above is exactly what this thread is all about, albeit for BMW's, it's so true however and unfortunate that alot of the so called 'prestige' high dollar brands do have such problems and concerns compared to more povo Japanese or other brands - real shame...

in terms of reliability/problem free motoring based on my own ownership/experience and experiences from so many other people out there, I don't think any brand can touch Toyota with their Corolla...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #33
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Interesting molar - hopefully Merc. have got their act together these days with their 'abroad' produced range...current model SLK 350 is on my short list :smile:

What you've said above is exactly what this thread is all about, albeit for BMW's, it's so true however and unfortunate that alot of the so called 'prestige' high dollar brands do have such problems and concerns compared to more povo Japanese or other brands - real shame...

in terms of reliability/problem free motoring based on my own ownership/experience and experiences from so many other people out there, I don't think any brand can touch Toyota with their Corolla...

Wraith,

My SLK350 was the current shape.

As you have said yourself, nothing is going to beat a Toyota or any Japanese manufacturer for reliability, but you are buying a 'prestige German' with all its foibles. Also resale is not that flash for the SLK.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Wraith,

My SLK350 was the current shape.

As you have said yourself, nothing is going to beat a Toyota or any Japanese manufacturer for reliability, but you are buying a 'prestige German' with all its foibles. Also resale is not that flash for the SLK.
Just for clarification, your SLK-350 was current shape, but was it the most current variant, ie: the new release just out, which has a better more powerful 3.5ltr V6 and different styling :smile:

Very true again, regarding the SLK re-sale and this point is what worries me also about Audi' model re-sales...seems both Audi' and MB's are so over-priced when new as to why there's an immediate massive drop off in value once purchased, although when you see these cars (second hand) in dealerships, the price is still sky high, way over what red book and other valuations suggest and certainly way over what insurance companies cover values are...

I really wonder how successful or not dealership S/H sales of these cars would be compared to private sales ???
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #35
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Just for clarification, your SLK-350 was current shape, but was it the most current variant, ie: the new release just out, which has a better more powerful 3.5ltr V6 and different styling :smile:

Once again the guru is correct.

My SLK was traded in almost 3 years ago.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #36
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Once again the guru is correct.

My SLK was traded in almost 3 years ago.
Thanks molar, just wanted clarification because if yours was 'current' I'd be hounding you for a full factual rundown on everything about it :smile:

It is one of the cars I'm considering along with the 135i and new Audi TTS, although admittidly it is the least favourite of the 3...
Appreciate 0