BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #45
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

M-sport was a requesite for me, primarily for the seats and shifter (6-spd stick was the the other requisite.)
Suspension improvement could be handled with a set of coilovers.
I drove a 128i and 228i prior to committing - and neither was available locally to drive with sport pack. Other than the nice burst of speed available I was surprised how very "normal" the 228i felt - refined, quick, but light controls and just easy. Like my '06 C230. Great shifter and clutch, at least. The 128 was an N52 and, frankly, a bit of a disappointment. (The N51 sport-pack 328 felt much more sprightly and eager to me.)

I drove the '15 Mustang GT a week before driving my 135i. Main reason I couldn't consider it was the utterly useless back seat (I have kids I occasionally need to transport.) But, to me, it didn't feel any more "special" than the 1'er - and possibly a bit less so. But it sure was an improvement over previous Mustangs. (I have a '66, had a '95, and have driven '00, '05, and '10 versions, too.)

If I had Porsche money and could get by with 2 seats I'd be all over the Cayman GT4.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #46
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubski View Post
Just want to go on record and say that my 135i doesn't have the m-sport package and I still love it! The regular seats fit my needs well (they're probably much better for highway use), I do wish I had the m-sport steering wheel though...

I would have definitely checked the box on the m-sport package if I bought the car new. Since I bought my car used, I was much more concerned about the overall condition of the car rather than the exact options it had.

Good luck!
Seconded. Bought our car used before I knew anything about the packages BMW offered (lesson learned). But the no-option manual leatherette seats happen to fit my body perfectly and are grippy enough (and my knee happens to fall on the transmission tunnel just so...) that I don't move too much even at the limits of tire grip. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get more autocross time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #47
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHoustonman View Post
Seconded. Bought our car used before I knew anything about the packages BMW offered (lesson learned). But the no-option manual leatherette seats happen to fit my body perfectly and are grippy enough (and my knee happens to fall on the transmission tunnel just so...) that I don't move too much even at the limits of tire grip. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get more autocross time.
There are some people who like the leatherette better than the Boston leather. It's supposed to wear pretty well too. How is yours holding up?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #48
Citizen M
Rep
Drives: G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
And no oil cooler.
So M Sport includes an oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #49
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen M View Post
So M Sport includes an oil cooler?
I know it was part of my MSport package, along with the increased top speed limiter.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #50
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Got pics?

Basically all 135's were M Sport (aero, suspension), but without the M Sport interior treatments AND they had lower top speed in the US.

What seats does it have?
And no oil cooler.
I have a non-sport 135 and it has an oil cooler, I believe the 335 non sport didn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #51
Citizen M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
I have a non-sport 135 and it has an oil cooler, I believe the 335 non sport didn't have it.
Hmm well I definitely want that. Anything potentially reliability enhancing is a priority to me.

Sadly that 135is sold like 24 hours after I posted this so now I'm back hunting for a relatively minty 135i m sport. There is one good candidate near me, the right color and options etc, but they're ask 35k for it with 28,000 miles (2013). The 135is with 19,000 miles and the same options was 33k. Feels like a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #52
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
Well, what we know for sure is that all Sport and M Sport models come with the oil cooler, right? Hell, I think all 135s in the US do. Does anybody have a 135i in the US without the oil cooler? It's easy to check. It's in the passenger side front fender behind the air duct. Look in the wheel well in front of the tire.

Quote:
Hmm well I definitely want that. Anything potentially reliability enhancing is a priority to me.

Sadly that 135is sold like 24 hours after I posted this so now I'm back hunting for a relatively minty 135i m sport. There is one good candidate near me, the right color and options etc, but they're ask 35k for it with 28,000 miles (2013). The 135is with 19,000 miles and the same options was 33k. Feels like a bad deal.
Sorry about losing out on that 135is deal, and while this other deal may not be as good, it still doesn't sound all that bad. Check out the car, maybe it's in great condition, and maybe you can talk them down some. It's worth looking into. Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-03-2015 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #53
Citizen M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Well, what we know for sure is that all Sport and M Sport models come with the oil cooler, right? Hell, I think all 135s in the US do. Does anybody have a 135i in the US without the oil cooler? It's easy to check. It's in the passenger side front fender behind the air duct. Look in the wheel well in front of the tire.

Sorry about losing out on that 135is deal, and while this other deal may not be as good, it still doesn't sound all that bad. Check out the car, maybe it's in great condition, and maybe you can talk them down some. It's worth looking into. Good luck and keep us informed.

Yeah I'd be really interested in knowing that myself. It might be a good thing to know in general.

I think 35k for a car that old is more than I'm willing to spend but I'll keep my eye out for a '12 at closer to 30 maybe. It's too bad, I just love the white 135i but it seems like most here are black.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #54
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
There are some people who like the leatherette better than the Boston leather. It's supposed to wear pretty well too. How is yours holding up?
They're holding up better than I expected, and still look and feel almost new at almost 68k miles. No signs of wear except for the fact that they could probably use a deep cleaning. The material itself is noticeably not leather, if that makes sense, but it's grippy and durable.

Quote:
Yeah I'd be really interested in knowing that myself. It might be a good thing to know in general.

I think 35k for a car that old is more than I'm willing to spend but I'll keep my eye out for a '12 at closer to 30 maybe. It's too bad, I just love the white 135i but it seems like most here are black.
FWIW, my car is an '09 with almost no options and nothing in the original order would signify the presence of an optional oil cooler - but I do, indeed, have one.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #55
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen M
Quote:
My little 1er feels plenty raw to me. Lots of low down torque. I test drove an M235i twice and I think my car feels quite different. The engines are similar, but it just feels like I could get into more trouble in my car, and I like it!
Yeah I think they probably nailed it for the vast majority of drivers, which is a good thing. I may just be too old fashioned.

I do remember back in 2008 I test drove the 135i and I felt it was TOO hardcore. It road too hard, the back end was too loose and so on. I'm not sure if I changed or the car did. I almost bought a 2012 135i a month or so ago (decided against it for various reasons of options and colors) and the car felt soft and gentle as can be. Not sure if it was the big 2011 update or what.
What tires are you on? I changed out the run flats for Michelin pilot super sports. Much less harsh ride and sticks to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #56
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen M
Quote:

Fwiw I had a similar budget and I got a '10 135i m-sport 6Mt with 47k miles for $20k. That leaves a lot of room for maintenance and mods. And BMW will still cover the N54 issues for a good number of years and miles.

Just a thought
Appreciate 0