BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #45
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Not trying to stop you from going, if that's in your heart, but I can say that people do not get banned for no reason. Andrew did do something that warranted the ban.

There's a half dozen vendors that I can think of that I would love to have back here for their knowledge, and just for being decent folk, but they also did not follow the guidelines. I know you all can think of a few yourselves. One of them started their own site, which has been mentioned in this very thread.

As far as jksgoh's quote of "innocent until proven guilty is how it goes over here in Australia", I agree, but none of us have the right to be the judge or the jury. Again, Andrew did something that was blatantly against the rules. People are not just banned by random chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #46
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You know not what you speak of, in any minute sense.

If you want it set up like e90post, where vendors are required to pay to post, and you never know if you're being responded to by a shill for a product, then tell the Admins that. They would probably love the extra revenue. Personally, I hate the arrangement over there, where vendors are allowed to post a certain number of posts-per-month based on how much they pay, and those with deeper pockets get to spam with no abandon. (please let that sink into your heads)

If Andrew got nabbed for PMing folk in a solicitous manner, he deserved getting banned, and those PMs were not sniped by somebody reading PMs behind the scenes, somebody turned him in because they did not want that unsolicited PM.

I'm sure that Andrew read this incredibly simple post and chose to ignore it, if he was soliciting via PM. He got reported by somebody, and was banned. That stickied post is not rocket science, and he blatantly broke the rules, like 'em or not.

It's by those rules that this site has prospered as a group of like-minded enthusiasts, free of getting jumped on by many vendors. I've been a member of a few sites that if you simply posted that you were thinking of buying a particular add-on, you immediately got a dozen PMs and a handful of vendors replying in the thread. I'm positive some of you must have experienced the same. Who the freak needs that BS? I certainly do not.

You guys want to leave because one person knowingly broke one of the cardinal rules that make this site decent? I'd suggest that you do leave then.
Thanks for explaining that. Not being a vendor, I've never had the need to understand the do's and don't's.

We certainly don't need the kind of carry-on that the "commercial model" appears to drive. It's a major PITA.

IMHO - What's happening here is a very Australian reaction. If a friend or a "member of the family" stretches or breaks a rule, even more than once, someone whispers in their ear, and tells them to stop, and "pull their head in". They don't get banished to the wilderness for all eternity, after only a couple of infraction. Particularly if they've been a true and loyal part of the family, helping out wherever they can, and going out of their way to improve things.

On the other hand, if after the aforementioned "whisper", they continue to transgress, they are "taken out behind the bike shed" figuratively and sometimes literally, and shown the error of their ways.

If that doesn't work, THEN they're just told their a complete dickhead and to Pi$$ off, and don't come back.

I guess it's a different approach.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #47
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Alex, if you set up your own forum I'd be one of the first to join. 1addicts has been a major disappointment since selling out to bimmerpost. It's too big for it's own good. I'd love to see a dedicated Aussie 1er forum.
      11-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #48
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Alex, if you set up your own forum I'd be one of the first to join. 1addicts has been a major disappointment since selling out to bimmerpost. It's too big for it's own good. I'd love to see a dedicated Aussie 1er forum.
Andrew will be offered free advertising for 3 months, for sure!

Ok, i'll have a look around and see how we go.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #49
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Dedicated poll & thread is now up: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325835
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #50
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hey guys, lets not be haste and start our own forum. This foru
is great, and it is more than just our little Aussie section that exist here.

A forum is like a house, each has its own rules. If someone come to my house and start smoking when he knows I have a no smoking policy, I'd kick him out without a second thought. Sure, I may invite him back if he stops smoking, but I wouldn't hesitate to tell him to leave in the first place. Now I'm not suggesting that andrew smoked in this house, I really don't know the full story without talking to him. What I do know is that he got banned for commercial activities. I know andrew quite well now from all my dealings with him, and I know his integrity and certainly would not have solicited a client by PM.

Larry, thanks for coming on here to clarify things. I am with you, forum rules are there to be respected and followed. If andrew did breach the rules, then he only has himself to blame unfortunately. But if another vendor set him up, then I sure hope we can clear this up. Larry, in your past knowledge, is there a timeframe for bans or is it permanent?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #51
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Larry, in your past knowledge, is there a timeframe for bans or is it permanent?
Check the last line: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207348

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #52
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

oh, that's a long time!
Guess in the future I will have to speak with Andrew rather than post a PM or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #53
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
There's a half dozen vendors that I can think of that I would love to have back here for their knowledge, and just for being decent folk, but they also did not follow the guidelines.
Thank you for your comments larryn. I understand your point but we should be careful that we don't loose sight of why we meet in the forums because we have rules that are too rigid and inflexible. If this forum is designed to talk about and learn about all things related to the BMW 1 series it seems we are failing if there are at least half a dozen vendors who could help us enjoy our cars. The forum is not for 'rules' its for us and the 1 series. Maybe its time to make some changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #54
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargeek View Post
Thank you for your comments larryn. I understand your point but we should be careful that we don't loose sight of why we meet in the forums because we have rules that are too rigid and inflexible. If this forum is designed to talk about and learn about all things related to the BMW 1 series it seems we are failing if there are at least half a dozen vendors who could help us enjoy our cars. The forum is not for 'rules' its for us and the 1 series. Maybe its time to make some changes.
Well fucking said, Sir!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #55
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Babybmw.net was alive an kicking long before 1addicts, and still continues to do so. Whilst mainly Euro focus (cause the 1 series was there before the US of A), and not quite a fancy as this joint, I used to be quite an active member.

I'm thinking I might move back. This forum seems a bit too 1 eyed for me ATM
      11-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #56
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Babybmw.net was alive an kicking long before 1addicts, and still continues to do so. Whilst mainly Euro focus (cause the 1 series was there before the US of A), and not quite a fancy as this joint, I used to be quite an active member.

I'm thinking I might move back. This forum seems a bit too 1 eyed for me ATM
I used to read babybmw.net when I had a 130i but moved here when I went to the 135i. Then 1addicts merged with Bimmerpost and well, the rest is history.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #57
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Let me be very clear: The banned poster in question broke strict site rules repeatedly. It does not matter how great your "body of knowledge" is. All of our sponsors/vendors have to play by the rules. They all know this up front.

PLEASE keep your language in check and refrain from spamming another forum. All its going to take is for another forum member to report a PM or post.

We've been very lenient thus far as I havent handed out any infractions. Thank you all for your maturity and understanding. Send me a PM if there is anything I can do to make this place better.

-BForbes